Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by by-life View Post
    Furthermore
    Penrite oil 10w-50 full synthetic is good or not? (from its website, it will be HPR 10)

One mechanic in Nunawarding has recommended it at good price for minor service.

Please criticise it. Great thanks.
    Accord Euro's User Manual does NOT allow the usage of any 50 weight oil (ie: 10w-50), too thick.

40 weight is as high as you're allowed to go (eg: 0w-40, 5w-40, 10w-40)
    - Therefore you should use HPR5 (5w-40) or HPR0 (0w-30), they are the same as HPR10 just different thickness/weighting.

Having said that, the full synthetic oils can easily last 12 mth 12k km, but if you change oil twice a year religiously (remember honda servicing is 10k km or 6mth which ever sooner). Then it's a bit of a waste using full synthetic since you'll be chucking away good oil.

In that case a bottle of cheap Valvoline engine armour oil (10w-30 or 10w-40) would be sufficient,since you are replacing it in 500km/6mth anyway.
    Last edited by Fredoops; 12-12-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Please do remember though that although the oil can last 12mth/12k kms, its your oil filter that doesn't last the distance.

Fact is that oil technology [the good ones anyway] has far surprised the filtration tech [oil filter] so while your oil looks brilliant still after 5000km, your oil filter is already clogged full.
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Euro CL9
    Thx Fredoops and DreadAgel.

The cheap one will be decided, 5w-40 or 10w-30 and call Mechanic tomorrow.

Great thx.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadAngel View Post
    Please do remember though that although the oil can last 12mth/12k kms, its your oil filter that doesn't last the distance.

Fact is that oil technology [the good ones anyway] has far surprised the filtration tech [oil filter] so while your oil looks brilliant still after 5000km, your oil filter is already clogged full.
    While I agree... The Honda log books does not change oil filter every service

Log book does filter change ever 20k /12mth (every 2nd service).

Not that I follow that, but since I got double capacity extended service filters I'm pretty comfortable with long drains.

Thx Fredoops and DreadAgel.

The cheap one will be decided, 5w-40 or 10w-30 and call Mechanic tomorrow.

Great thx.
    Just ask for something 5w-30 or 10w-30 semi synthetic.
    Last edited by Fredoops; 12-12-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Integra
    Half the shit is made in same factory. branded different
    Penrite is better because its been out there longest with most reputable reviews , they offer the extra 10 zinc which is cool.
    I use 10-50, i might go thicker because i burn oil.
    Either way 0w, we ain't in the snow.

W is determined by your car's health, the weather, the way you drive and how long your car drive daily.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by Evok View Post
    Penrite is better because its been out there longest with most reputable reviews , they offer the extra 10 zinc which is cool.

W is determined by your car's health, the weather, the way you drive and how long your car drive daily.
    all the post 2001 made hondas dont use anything thicker than 40 as the engine build tolerance level is much narrower, all thicker oil going to do is produce extra friction and engine stress, especially the accord euro's

Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    While I agree... The Honda log books does not change oil filter every service

Log book does filter change ever 20k /12mth (every 2nd service).

Not that I follow that, but since I got double capacity extended service filters I'm pretty comfortable with long drains.
    Cheater...

Broke my moment of glory LOL

JKS XD
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    Just ask for something 5w-30 or 10w-30 semi synthetic.
    Penrite doesn't produce 5w-30 (HPR 5 is 5w-40 or enviro 5w-30 is full synthetic), the valvoline is only option.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Penrite doesn't produce 5w-30 (HPR 5 is 5w-40 or enviro 5w-30 is full synthetic), the valvoline is only option.
    That's fine as well, if you change oil twice a year any semi synthetic oil would be fine for a daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Evok View Post

Extra Zinc is great in protecting the engine components, but zinc will clog/damage your cat converter and oxygen sensor. If you're running a high flow cat, ie a larger matrix cat and are changing the oxygen sensor every 100k km, then go for a higher zinc oil.

Most people flog off their car before 100k km anyway so a higher zinc oil does not matter much.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '11 Euro CU2
    Martini Racing 5w30 i think O.o

Member Array
    Car:
    GTI /Tiguan/CU2
    Would the japanese made oem filter be a better quality than the thai made one?

I have used semi and full syn oils 5w-30 & 5w-40, castrol edge / shell helix utra in the under $65 price ranges, in both ex CL9 and the current CU2,.
    For normal daily use, you'd have to be an expert to feel significant differences.

In my other car, i now use motul vw504.00 specific and it burnt less oil than the castrol edge pro slx 3 during a track day.