Threaded View

battery light on, changed alternator, battery light still intermittently on

Accord euro 2006, 90k km.

Last night the battery indicator light came on solid before starting the car. NRMA was called in and diagnosed as bad alternator. They charged 600$ for a new alternator (which they said was new and generic) and installed it. Battery light went away after, however I didn't drive he car.

Took the car out today, all feels normal and no light. But after 45 mins of driving, battery light came on and went away in under 1 second. If it wasn't for the "ding" sound I wouldn't have noticed. The light pretty much flashed on and then went off immediately.

Within the next 1.5 hr of driving the battey light came on and off 6 times in the same way . There was no obvious mechanical difference in the car when it flashed- no loss of power, no jerkiness or weird sound.

I am uncomfortable about the battery light flashing and want to fix he problem. What could be wrong?

I asked the nrma electrician if their alternator was compatible with Honda's. He said yes (despite it being generic he said it should work with honda), and he said it was also new. I thought $600 (amount I paid) was too little for a new alternator (ppl have quoted over 1k on this forum for a new alternator).

Please help on how I can fix this issue. Thanks!
    Last edited by lovenoodles; 16-12-2012 at 04:53 PM.