Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What is a statutory write off?

I understand cars labeled as a statutory write off can not be registered, but what exactly puts them in this category?

I've seen cars which are statutory write offs which appear to have fairly minimal damage on them.

Water damage , rail ( chassis) damage etc
    These can be relatively unseen.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Even if the car is damaged more then its worth! Hail damage extra! They wont spend more to fix it then its worth!

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM DC2R View Post
    Even if the car is damaged more then its worth! Hail damage extra! They wont spend more to fix it then its worth!
    if it's more than its worth then it'll be repairable write off.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9
    According to VicRoads:

Quote Originally Posted by VicRoads
    Statutory write-off (SWO)
    A vehicle will be recorded as a statutory write-off if it is a total loss and so severely damaged that it should not be repaired. Only certain parts from a vehicle recorded as a statutory write-off may be used to repair other vehicles.

Repairable write-off
    A vehicle will be recorded as a repairable write-off if it has been damaged to the extent that its salvage value plus the cost of repairing the vehicle for use on the road is more than its market value (i.e. total loss).
    More details on the criteria for a vehicle to be classified as a statutory write off at http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...gisterWOVR.htm

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Also remember most insurance companies will write off a car if you've done 40% or more worth of damage compared to the agreed value (or some % anyway, but I believe it's less around 40-60%).

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX
    A lot of it has to do with state laws ....in NSW anything that gets written off becomes a stat write off ....In other states they still have repairable write offs being sold at auctions...

Quote Originally Posted by _CRX_ View Post
    A lot of it has to do with state laws ....in NSW anything that gets written off becomes a stat write off ....In other states they still have repairable write offs being sold at auctions...
    Correct - NSW laws have only recently been changed making all written off vehicles only useable for parts

Quote Originally Posted by _CRX_ View Post
    Would this mean that repairable write offs which in turn were automatically became statutory write offs in NSW could be repaired and registered in other states, or is this classification nation wide?

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    These days in NSW they have revised the terms to describe them.

Statutory write off is severe structural damage, water damage, basically things that affect the safety of the car.

Total Loss (old repairable write off) is used when the cost to repair is more than the market value of the car. So there may not be chassis damage, but if its classed as total loss, you still cant fix and re register.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    These days in NSW they have revised the terms to describe them.

Statutory write off is severe structural damage, water damage, basically things that affect the safety of the car.

Total Loss (old repairable write off) is used when the cost to repair is more than the market value of the car. So there may not be chassis damage, but if its classed as total loss, you still cant fix and re register.
    Ive heard if the car classified as a clasic, rare car or even part known car club. the car can be re registered.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    yeah but i think its gotta have club or race rego for this to happen.
    to see all of my build, checkout