Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    2006 CL9 Luxury

Thnking about coming back to the Honda family (CL9)

Hey everyone,

Long time member of Ozhonda that originally joined when I bought my 3rd gen Prelude back in 2005 (although I spent most of my time on Prelude Australia lol). Had it for 5 years and it eventually was written off when I was t-boned at an intersection by a fool running the perpendicular red light. Loved that car - it was my first and I modded it to my idea of perfection.

Moved onto a 2001 VW Bora with the V6 and AWD which was nice but the damn thing has had so many issues it's not funny; i just recently had to get a new gearbox and clutch because both pretty much just blew up. Engine has been bulletproof but everything else is struggling.

So now I'm thinking of coming back to Honda in the guise of an Accord Euro. Always have loved the CL9 shape and have read great things about it. Dad has a CU2 which is a really nice car to drive but just a tad too big for my taste.

I'm in the Box Hill area of Melbourne and spied this at Eastern Honda on the weekend:

http://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/de...o=Stock&items=[Make:HONDA,Model:ACCORD%20EURO,BaseEnabledBadge:LU XURY]&sort=default

Looks like a competitive price and from what I can tell it's pretty much 100% optioned up. So I was wondering, was it anyone's here? There's a Mugen sticker on the rear and it looks like it has a metal Type R look gearknob and possibly an xCarlink as well. It also looks like it possibly has been lowered as well although I'm not sure. I love the grey on grey and the lip kit looks mad.

Going to take it for a test drive next Saturday (assuming it isn't sold because they seem to be rather keen to move it).

Anyone seen this car around and know of any issues with it? I'm thinking it almost may be too good to be true!

Cheers in advance

Mark

Member Array
    Car:
    07 Accord Euro Luxury 6MT
    As long as the accident history is clear and it drives well, looks like a pretty good deal for a lux nav. Those wheels are a very rare factory option. The 6MT transmission is quite rare too, it seems 90% of these were auto. Minor cosmetic damage to the lip, easily fixable.

- HZ

Member Array
    Car:
    ACCORD EURO
    The Bora was a nice car,but the Euro is better...I went from a Jetta to a CU2,and it deives WAY better than the VW...

Quote Originally Posted by rogue_mc View Post

Always have loved the CL9 shape and have read great things about it. Dad has a CU2 which is a really nice car to drive but just a tad too big for my taste.

Mark
    I know exactly what you mean.
    Wish Honda didnt ruin the Euro with the CU2.

I keep asking if I needed to get a new ride, what would I get?
    Another CL9 (in better shape and condition)

The only thing out there that has my interest is maybe the Audi A3 sedan (to be released)

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 CL9 Luxury
    Thanks for the replies everyone. The more I look at the photos of the Euro in question, I think it's been lowered? Other Lux's seem to ride higher.

I think the only thing I'll miss is the nice fat wads of torque the Bora had, and the way it tightened up when you hit the throttle in a corner and the back wheels started to come into play.

One more quick question: I usually always get an independent check done on the car pre-purchase (RACV or Stateroads). Since this is coming from Eastern Honda and apparently has been checked by their service department, do you think the independent check is necessary? I am still leaning to doing it (if I decide to buy).

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Thanks for the replies everyone. The more I look at the photos of the Euro in question, I think it's been lowered? Other Lux's seem to ride higher.

I think the only thing I'll miss is the nice fat wads of torque the Bora had, and the way it tightened up when you hit the throttle in a corner and the back wheels started to come into play.

One more quick question: I usually always get an independent check done on the car pre-purchase (RACV or Stateroads). Since this is coming from Eastern Honda and apparently has been checked by their service department, do you think the independent check is necessary? I am still leaning to doing it (if I decide to buy).
    Definitely do it! When spending that much money on a car, its always re-assuring to have it independently checked. I did it for mine and they told me all the little things that were wrong, that the owners didn't even know about.

Regards,

Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak
    hondas are nice. cl9's are of a nice shape too. but ull find they arent the best built honda compared to the rest of the range. in terms of reliablitiy hondas just arent made like they were back then but still they are still considered reliable cars in this day n age.

there are a few known problems. with cl9's upon inspection look for the following (THESE ARE THE THINGS INSPECTORS WILL NOT PICKUP BUT A SOMEONE WITH LOTS OF CL9 KNOWLEDGE WILL!)

-clips on the headlight (shows the recall has been done)
    - dealership reciept of a power steering recall done.
    - test drive the car past 100 km/h hover between 110-120 keep the acceleration on. if the car shakes when accelerating uve got a CV joint issue developing. if it shakes vigoursly then the issue is right there
    - look down under the engine bay fuse box and inspect the steering rack boot. it SHOULD NOT be greasy or oily.
    - test the vtec - listen out for the crossover at 6k rpm. make sure its switching over
    - pull in 2nd gear up to 5k rpm and let the revs drop normally in a open space. the vtec/ivtec business is to check if the timing is still spot on as it is a bitch to fix and costs $$$$ if anything pops up like a CEL or sounds nasty. it should sound awesome n smooth.

other than that. if it passes all of them - its looking good so far! might be worth a shot

if any of these symptoms show up besides power steering n headlight clips id stay well away from it - keep looking for a better built cl9. ur gunna spend more money tryna get it on the road working A1 condition than to spend on petrol getting you places
    Last edited by cheapdouchebag; 19-12-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 CL9 Luxury
    Wow thanks for that! When you say "clips on the headlight", what do you mean specifically? The car has headlight covers so should I be looking for clips beneath that on the actual headlight?

Member Array
    Car:
    07 Accord Euro Luxury 6MT
    Wow thanks for that! When you say "clips on the headlight", what do you mean specifically? The car has headlight covers so should I be looking for clips beneath that on the actual headlight?
    This might only affect earlier cars? I am not aware of any recall for the facelift MY06 for the headlights... Earlier pre-facelift ones could get moisture in the headlight housings, and there was a recall for the wiring harness to the bootlid. The recall for the power steering hose (leakage and fire risk) was for all models though. They fit a new hose with a rubber outer sleeve. There should be a sticker in the driver's door jamb that will record if this was done. Make sure the power steering doesn't whine, and there are no strange whistles or 'whoops' from the car.

Plus the i-VTEC in the CL9 is quite a gradual change over, there's no "VTEC just kicked in yo" crossover step to listen out for, but the engine note does gradually change.

Manual Euros can have an issue with creaking clutch pedal. Make sure the power windows and remote door locks all work too, these can fail with age.

CV joints and brakes rotors/pads are normal wear and tear on the car, so if the car needs these replaced it shouldn't be a deal breaker, but you should haggle them down to accommodate the cost of getting these fixed.

And ensure you get both keys with it. The car came new with two full keys, and these are expensive to replace.

- HZ
    Last edited by HunterZero; 19-12-2012 at 03:02 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 CL9 Luxury
    Great, thanks for that info. I read about the power steering hose recall so I'll keep an eye out for that. Good to know about the i-VTEC change as well. Gonna test drive it hopefully Friday arvo if not Saturday.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Great, thanks for that info. I read about the power steering hose recall so I'll keep an eye out for that. Good to know about the i-VTEC change as well. Gonna test drive it hopefully Friday arvo if not Saturday.
    The power steering hose will be covered in a shitty cheapo DIY-looking vinyl hose wrap. If I remember, it had cable ties holding it down to the replacement power steering hose. So if it looks dodgy to you, then it is probably the actual Honda recall. LOL
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    vtack+non-vtak
    not too sure after my repairs and a mixutre of TODA internals used was affected but with a slightly keen awareness u will definatley feel the little extra pull at 6k rpm.

I dont believe a car at that many kms and a 06 model should have any cv joints at all - if it does i would stay well away from it. something else in the car at that km's has got to give out before the joints indicating car has been harshly treated. that is my approach though if u wish to use it as a haggling tactic as hunterzero said thats more than acceptable either.

totally forgot about mentioning the creaking clutch pedal. thats another one to look out for