Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo

2010 Civic FD1 audio upgrade

Hi Everyone,

Been a bit busy these days so I haven't been back here. Although I'll say that my Civic still gets two washes a week and just got a good wax + polish
    Anyway, I haven't been such an avid fan of the audio in my Civic since the day it rolled out of the Honda showroom when I got it. I was kinda poor back then as well so I didn't want to spend $580 on the Honda bass works system at the time. I'll be spending $450 (DIY) on that now though (dealer still has it!)
    However, since I have the VTi with the 4 speaker system... there's tweeter holes in the top of the dash with the covers covering them... what I want to know is... are there pre-wired wires under those covers for tweeters from a VTI-L? If there are then I'll be dropping by a wrecker ASAP to buy tweeters and popping them in to compliment the Bass works system which I'll be ordering soon.

I have a 2008 Vti-l and there are no tweeters in my car
    i was gutted

Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo
    Quote Originally Posted by leetie123 View Post
    I have a 2008 Vti-l and there are no tweeters in my car
    i was gutted
    What? I didn't know that! I thought all VTi-L Civics had 6 speakers as standard? or was that only in the series II revision?

Quote Originally Posted by stevo1210 View Post
    What? I didn't know that! I thought all VTi-L Civics had 6 speakers as standard? or was that only in the series II revision?
    negative - we are talking about 8th gen civic
    It is honda australia being a tight ass - notice i said "australia"
    just before I moved from NZ where their civics came with 6 speakers and paddle shifters
    plus these civics were made in thailand
    very under equiped for the price point they are asking

just like the new civic hatch 9th gen doesnt have cruise control standard - WTF?

Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo
    Okay then, skipping the tweeter fiasco then... if I get some coaxial speakers (ones with inbuilt tweeters), that would probably make life easier. BUT... a long while ago I tried JBL GTO 603's up the back of the car and the sound was so faint that when I cranked it up to 30 on the head deck, it was still tinny sounding. These speakers were 4 Ohm, 5 - 100W input and 91db sensitivity.
    But on the other hand I've read other people have successfully changed the stock speakers with something else and had success? What speakers would probably be sensitive enough to work with the stock HU?

Member Array
    Car:
    seebik
    any 6.5" coax will do....but still our stock HU wont give us enough power to drive
    those speakers..ill skip with the bass works..for that
    price i can buy a decent 4 channel amp and subwoofer

Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo
    Quote Originally Posted by fitme View Post
    any 6.5" coax will do....but still our stock HU wont give us enough power to drive
    those speakers..ill skip with the bass works..for that
    price i can buy a decent 4 channel amp and subwoofer
    Well, I managed to find genuine Honda Co-Axials online! They fit the Type R hatch in England... and I've worked out the Type R FN2 hatch uses the same speakers as the sedan model... so these should pop right in with no modifications. $350-$400 for two coaxial speakers, sent from England...

I'd go aftermarket for cheaper prices, but I want to retain my stock stereo... not really into the fancy aftermarket DVD systems etc. I've put the Bass works system on order, just need some time to install it into my car. $538 from my local Honda dealer. After I get this done, I'll be ordering Co - axials speakers from Sterling Honda in England. However, just wanted to check, the stock Honda speakers I have now are 4 ohm right?
    Last edited by stevo1210; 12-01-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo
    I've kinda struck a problem here when I was going to make an order at the dealer. They want $150 to plug in some cables for me for the bass works kit. They said if I do it myself (plug in a few cables myself) it will void the Bass works kit warranty AND my car warranty... then the guy said if I install it myself my car may catch fire because the Bass works unit is connected to the high brake light and trunk light for power which is powered 24/7 so one mistake and my car could end up in flames? I've done a fair few OEM audio installs on my Toyota and haven't had a problem changing a head unit over etc. But this does sound scary, yet I don't want to pay $150 for an apprentice to fiddle around in there when I know I can do a MUCH better job than the dealer at home!

Any feedback on the warranty issue/will my car destroy itself would be great. Order of my Bass works kit is currently on hold over this warranty information.

Thanks.

Yes, your "car destroy itself would be great." Be sure to post photos.
    “We can't stop here, this is bat country!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

I've kinda struck a problem here when I was going to make an order at the dealer. They want $150 to plug in some cables for me for the bass works kit. They said if I do it myself (plug in a few cables myself) it will void the Bass works kit warranty AND my car warranty... then the guy said if I install it myself my car may catch fire because the Bass works unit is connected to the high brake light and trunk light for power which is powered 24/7 so one mistake and my car could end up in flames? I've done a fair few OEM audio installs on my Toyota and haven't had a problem changing a head unit over etc. But this does sound scary, yet I don't want to pay $150 for an apprentice to fiddle around in there when I know I can do a MUCH better job than the dealer at home!

Any feedback on the warranty issue/will my car destroy itself would be great. Order of my Bass works kit is currently on hold over this warranty information.

Thanks.
    Did you seriously not tell them to go fuck themselves, wave the money you were going to spend there and walk out the door?

Your car catching on fire is the biggest joke ever. If a product is designed with a flaw like that, they're begging for legal butt rape.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000

Thanks.
    you should have coughed and acted sick then said "that comment just gave me cancer" and walked out.

because it sure as hell gave me cancer.

it won't void your entire car warranty don't worry about that.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Thanks.
    In all seriousness, you should go back and get that in writing from the dealership, then contact bass works and find out from them, if they so much as tell you one thing differently, contact Honda Australia in terms on misleading/fraudulent information, I know workshops over here got in trouble for advising customers that they were required to have certain work performed on their vehicles.