You can get some good tools for cheaper at those sunday markets

Member Array
    Car:
    D15B7 YOOOOOO!
    not the best idea to use these to crack the nuts

Quote Originally Posted by mocchi View Post
    dont buy normal spanners
    buy these flex racheting spanners, youd never go back lmzo

Check out my build thread EGB16T. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...build../page14
    Check out my for sale thread constantly updated with b series/ eg parts!

Wakefield Honda Nationals First Timer : na-118 EG b16 1:16.4900

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    I'd say;
    Socket set (decent set)
    Spanner set (decent set)
    Screw drivers
    alan key set
    jack
    axle stands
    Engine stand and crane (depends if you're doing engine work at any point in time)
    soldering iron + solder, etc (for elec stuff only, really)

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    Sorry fail to mention torque wranch
    connorling, your profile and evidenced by your post tells me alot about what type of feral you are..... all class 'hay'!!!! ps. not your m8....

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Get yourself one of those component plastic containers from the discount store. Use that to hold the nuts and bolts that you remove. Also get a magnetic pickup tool for those bolts that you drop in the engine bay. Finally, get a set of metric thread restorers. I have a Snap-On set that I paid $60 for. Saves you headache when you cross thread something.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Eg Civic
    I got one of these originally when I started my apprenticeship, then took it home to work on my car and never took it back cause I don't use many tools at work so downgraded to a smaller 3 draw force box for work.
    Has all the good spanner and socket sizes, torque wrench, Allen keys ect as shown. All I've added to it is a set of vice grips a 31 or 32mm socket (for drive shafts) and a set of ratchet spanners, as stated above I wouldn't go and crack nuts with a ratchet spanner.
    I pulled my motor out of my civic using just that tool set, and have changed suspension, motor in and out ect on my Nissan all out of that toolbox.
    http://www.tradetools.com/products/50229S-255

Also I can vouch for arcan jacks I bought one off eBay, awesome jack, I haven't had any problems with mine and I've had it just over a year, great jack.
    Also jack stands, compressor and an air tool set is also a good idea for down the track, makes life easier with tight bolts and nuts
    "Wheels are like bosoms to men, and cars have four of them"

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by mocchi View Post
    dont buy normal spanners
    buy these flex racheting spanners, youd never go back lmzo

these are annoying, if u are undoing a bolt and then u find there isnt space to bring the bolt all the way out u cant go back because it will only turn one way so the spanner is locked there.

i went to bunnings and got a kinchrome cocket set + extensions and ratchet for 20$
    and get spanners to suit, then in tricky situations by the ratchet ones (open ended ratchet is more expensive but could save you alot of stuffing around)

Quote Originally Posted by GU357 View Post
    these are annoying, if u are undoing a bolt and then u find there isnt space to bring the bolt all the way out u cant go back because it will only turn one way so the spanner is locked there.

i went to bunnings and got a kinchrome cocket set + extensions and ratchet for 20$
    and get spanners to suit, then in tricky situations by the ratchet ones (open ended ratchet is more expensive but could save you alot of stuffing around)
    You really should only use it to loosen the bolt enough so you can unscrew it by hand

Quote Originally Posted by DTN View Post
    You can get some good tools for cheaper at those sunday markets
    only problem i see is, you will be waiting awhile to build your tool set (been there done that!). if you have the patience by all means go for it, as things dont come up every weekend.

Banned Array
    Car:
    B16EG-GD3-DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by fillit View Post
    You really should only use it to loosen the bolt enough so you can unscrew it by hand
    the ones from the pic? or the deep sockets? is handy if u get a rattle gun. or you dont have the space to put a spanner over it.

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    You don't have to get top brands if you are going to be using them for just DIY, I am using the better quality Supercheap tools, they are pretty good quality for how much you pay. I've never hand an issue with them to date & I've been using them for more than 2 years now.

Buy slowly overtime and while on special, that way your not forking out massive $$$ at one time. I got ratchet spanners for $55 from size 8-19 when on special at Supercheap, 1 year + and no issues to date.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by grifty View Post
    You don't have to get top brands if you are going to be using them for just DIY, I am using the better quality Supercheap tools, they are pretty good quality for how much you pay. I've never hand an issue with them to date & I've been using them for more than 2 years now.

Buy slowly overtime and while on special, that way your not forking out massive $$$ at one time. I got ratchet spanners for $55 from size 8-19 when on special at Supercheap, 1 year + and no issues to date.
    That is true.. I have some supercheap quality crap ones which I use ocasionally, and some Stanley (I think) ones which I use quite often... Both work, but the stanley ones are tonnes better. Just so happens the supercheap ones are better for smaller things, and small shitty work areas such as the timing belt/ water pump region of my engine.