Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    03 DC5

What speakers are best bang for buck?

Looking for high quality sound and bass, wanting to swap my stock DC5 Integra speakers with something with a bit more 'oomf!' - MAY look into a sub a little later but for now just front and rear speakers. Any advice?

Head unit is Pioneer DEH-2350UB, cheers
    You know what? I still hate you, but you got a pretty awesome collection of nudie mags.
    Yeah, I got 'em from the 70's, 80's and 90's. It's like masturbating in a time machine.

Polk MM6501 splits but your gonna have to put an amp on them to get the best out of them
    www.directed.com.au The home of Viper Security, Polk Audio, Orion Car Audio

Member Array
    Car:
    03 DC5
    What does the amp do exactly? I was under the impression they were only required when using a sub etc - cheers for the reply
    You know what? I still hate you, but you got a pretty awesome collection of nudie mags.
    Yeah, I got 'em from the 70's, 80's and 90's. It's like masturbating in a time machine.

Member Array
    Car:
    03 DC5
    Bumpin' for more suggestions

You'll need to amp it to get more mid bass from the speaker or else it'll just distort.

Best way to do this is get a 4 channel amp. Amp the front speakers, let the rears run off head unit and leave two channels for your sub later on. The Polks MM6501 is pretty much spot on recommendation for a bit of oomph

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by IDV8 View Post
    Looking for high quality sound and bass, wanting to swap my stock DC5 Integra speakers with something with a bit more 'oomf!' - MAY look into a sub a little later but for now just front and rear speakers. Any advice?

Head unit is Pioneer DEH-2350UB, cheers
    whats your budget?
    Instead of getting front and rear just spend double on the fronts, you will get better sound. I usualy recommend morel maximo or tempo for low end splits.
    Quote Originally Posted by IDV8 View Post
    What does the amp do exactly? I was under the impression they were only required when using a sub etc - cheers for the reply
    gives your more/cleaner power which increases the output of the speakers, add deadening and and sealed service holes and you will increase the quality and mid bass output.
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    03 DC5
    I was thinking $200 for front and rear speakers then if I were to buy an amp hopefully ~$150? It doesn't need to be show car sound just cleaner sound I'll enjoy more personally. What prices can I expect with Polk?

Something I was looking at was the following:
    Pioneer amp: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Pione...item2a1f757f38
    Front, rear & tweeter package: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pioneer-T...item2c64d6e0ff

Are the tweeters in dash speakers? I wasn't sure :P

Member Array
    Car:
    03 DC5
    Bumpin ^^

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey RB3
    Really good sound for not too much coin, would be Crescendo Opus 1, or Morel Tempo.. Talk to Marty at FHRX Studios (in Syd) to get an idea what's worth listening to.
    Digital is Only ON or OFF

Member Array
    Car:
    '77 Civic
    http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/...onents_review/

Speakers are all a matter of personal opinion. If they sound good to you, bobs your uncle.
    But, some splits up front, keep stock rears. You don't need to up the rears. A good analogy used by the guys is 'When you go to see a band, where does the sound come from? Infront of you, yeah? As in cars, a good soundstage is one that makes it sound like the band is playing on your bonnet'
    So basically, forget the rears, get a good set of front splits, get an amp if you want (if not, some efficient splits will sound good off your headunit. amp can/ usually does make your speakers sound better) Make sure the speakers are installed properly/ securely, invest in some dynamat if you can. It'll help with the speakers sound.

If you want an amp, aim for either a 4chan that can bridge 1/2 and 3/4, then bridge the channels and have one bridge each side. OR, just channel 1 and 2 to the fronts, and save 3/4 for a sub later down the track (if you want)

As SQXPRT said, hit up marty at FHRX, he'll sort you out. Although, he doesn't install speakers without dynamat (which is good, and his services are WELL worth it) which costs a little extra than your average drop in install. But as said, he is well worth it for installs. He is also a great guy to talk to about DIY, if you want to attempt it yourself, and he will help you pick speakers and what not. Top guy in the car audio sales industry.

Member Array
    Car:
    03 DC5
    May be a little out of my price range - main reason for upgrading is I received a $50 autobarn voucher so I was hoping to put it towards have it all done there.

Autobarn can get the Polks in for you