I am located in Vic and have sold my civic to a buyer in SA. When they took the car back, they had the car inspected but it failed. The inspectors physically removed the compliance plate on the car. Is this legal ? The car is an Aus delivered car. The officers mentioned that the battery was rubbing on the plate and had wiped out the last 7-8 digits of the Vin on the plate. I have got some pics of the engine bay and I can see clearly that the battery was no where near the plate. The inspector is currently holding on to the plate and refused to return to the buyer of the car. Again is this legal ?

What would happend if the buyer is not able to transfer the vehicle to their name before the rego runs out ? I have had the Vic transfer papers signed. In Vic, authorised mechanics can carry out a roadworthiness check but apparently in SA, you can only go to designated places to get them inspected.

I don't want to jump to any conclusion but it seems to be a great way to make money for the inspectors to fail a car and have the vehicle inspected at a designated place. Also, in Vic when you go and get a roadworthiness cert, if you fail because of tyres of windscreen, you can take the car away and get it replaced and go back to them and they will pass you. There is no additional charge on top of this. Is this the case in SA as well ? Would you have to pay again for the 2nd inspection ?

I was wondering if anyone could share some thoughts and also opinions on how to go abouts this ? I am keen to assist the buyer to get the vehicle transferred to their name.