Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

First service EG

It's about time for my first proper service since I bought my 91 EG.
    I don't know a lot about cars, but here's what I was told about the car.
    jdm b16A
    type r manifold and throttle body
    type r headers
    red type r rocker cover
    trust comtec ice box
    racing timing belt and water pump done 15000kms ago

dc2r suspension front and rear
    type r front breaks with blue calipers, dc2 rear brakes
    front rda 400 discs

This is my first car, and will be my first real service which i plan to do myself. So just after a bit of advice on what I should be doing/using.

Oil & Filter - I have a spare filter, but what oil would you recommend?

Water - Should I flush the system and replace with new water / coolant? Is there any particular brand coolant I should be using?
    Is this as straight forward as pulling the plug, flushing with water, draining and refilling with water/coolant?

Air filter - It has a 'comptech sport' air filter. Same as pictured here:
    http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9325/pict01098ot.jpg
    Should this be replaced?

Tyres - I keep an eye on pressure fairly regularly. Should I rotate the tyres...?

I guess that's all the basic things I should be doing?
    Is there anything else you would recommend? I'm keen to do a little bit more than necessary, just for a bit of learning / experience. At least I'll know a little more about my car if I give it a good service.

I was told it may be a good idea to replace the spark plugs and leads. Should I be doing this too? What plugs and leads would you suggest?
    Should I also be checking or replacing the battery?

Sorry for the million questions, but I just want to do a thorough job and not screw anything up.
    Thanks for any advice guys, I appreciate it.

Member Array
    If it was me , id change all the fluids and filter regardless of how long you had it for or when it was last chance - unless you knew the old owner and trusted them.

Oils - I would use honda oem oil , and an oem filter

Change the following:
    coolant, brake fluid , rebleed clutch, gear box, power steering and engine.
    Spark plugs - yes
    spark plug leads - no

Coolant question - yes but make sure you bleed the system and get all the air bubbles out

filter - cabin filter, and the filter in the pic doesnt look too dirty - should be fine.

Tyres - check them , how bald are they/are they getting?

if fronts are significantly more bald-er than the rear or moderately noticable, just switch them around and ensure you get the rotational direction correct.

battery -if its working , leave it

check your tyre pressure every month or so if your pedantic but all should be fine
    learn to listen for strange sounds that wernt there before or unusual 'feelings' when driving.

hope my post was useful - good luck
    PM me if you have b series performance parts!

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    dont forget wheel alignment. otherwise you gonna be foreverotating
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice.

I had some work done about 5k km ago before I could get a roadworthy. So the tyres were all replaced and aligned then. I got pretty cheap tyres because I didn't have much cash to spare at the time. But I assume they will be fine, so I'll just give them a check and make sure the pressure is okay.
    Brake pads were changed, plus brake fluid.
    Power steering rack was re conditioned, but it didn't say if the fluid was changed.

Is there anything I should know about spark plugs? What should I be looking for?

The photo of the air filter is NOT from my car. Mine is looking a lot dirtier than the one pictured and I assume should probably be changed.
    I'll look into the clutch and gearbox as well. Is it simple enough for a first time DIY?

Anything I've missed?

Cheers.

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    i personally dont like these filter, they suck more dirty than anything.
    get a new filter imo.

spark plug is spark plug, what do u want to know?

change if the brake rotors are even surfaced, does it vibrate under high speed braking?

Quote Originally Posted by compleks View Post
    Thanks guys, appreciate the advice.

I had some work done about 5k km ago before I could get a roadworthy. So the tyres were all replaced and aligned then. I got pretty cheap tyres because I didn't have much cash to spare at the time. But I assume they will be fine, so I'll just give them a check and make sure the pressure is okay.
    Brake pads were changed, plus brake fluid.
    Power steering rack was re conditioned, but it didn't say if the fluid was changed.

Is there anything I should know about spark plugs? What should I be looking for?

The photo of the air filter is NOT from my car. Mine is looking a lot dirtier than the one pictured and I assume should probably be changed.
    I'll look into the clutch and gearbox as well. Is it simple enough for a first time DIY?

Anything I've missed?

Cheers.
    connorling, your profile and evidenced by your post tells me alot about what type of feral you are..... all class 'hay'!!!! ps. not your m8....

I don't think it vibrates. Not that I've noticed, but will give it a test next drive.

Thanks for the help. This may be a stupid question, but where is the cabin filter on a 91 EG? I just pulled the glove box out and it doesn't look like it's there.
    Do I need to replace this filter is I'm not using heat or air?

Thanks all.

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    its inside the black round box under the dash behind the glove box.

http://www.oemacuraparts.com/parts-c.../heater-blower

Quote Originally Posted by compleks View Post
    I don't think it vibrates. Not that I've noticed, but will give it a test next drive.

Thanks for the help. This may be a stupid question, but where is the cabin filter on a 91 EG? I just pulled the glove box out and it doesn't look like it's there.
    Do I need to replace this filter is I'm not using heat or air?

Thanks all.
    connorling, your profile and evidenced by your post tells me alot about what type of feral you are..... all class 'hay'!!!! ps. not your m8....

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum

I think my head just imploded. All of that for an air filter change?

Thanks for the link mate. It looks familiar, I just didn't want to poke around too much while I was under there

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    civic eg dont have cabin filter m8
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    wut?
    for real?

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Spark plugs, go NGK - the engine was designed to take em. Not bosch or champion
    Check your distributor cap & rotor
    Hows your power steering fluid?
    Hows your radiator cap?
    For your oil filter - make sure its Honda or suitable for your car
    For coolant (while cold) Undo the plug at the bottom of radiator
    undo top and bottom radiator hose, stick a garden hose in both hoses to flush the engine
    Fill engine with water instead of coolant, turn on car . let the water circulate.
    Undo both rad hoses. If water is dirty repeat process. If clean put back both hoses and plug
    Turn heater knob to hot, undo bleed valve
    Fill with Honda Coolant - me thinks its blue
    Close bleed valve after coolant flows out
    Turn on egnienw tih rad cap off... When heat comes out of cabin vents your done bleeding
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum