Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    1998 200sx S14

Helping a civic to Oversteer?

Hey guys posting a question as my friend and I need a lil help here. My friend has a Ek civic with a b16 engine, coilovers, sway bars etc and he is trying to get into some autocross events. The problem he is having is the car suffers from understeer and try as he might he cant seem to correct the issue.

After taking it for a drive myself i understand what he ment pushing it through a corner just before the apex the car will start to understeer. In response to this I have lowered the front a bit which now sits about 15-20mm higher than the rear compared to the 30mm it was at. Running -2 deg camber front(increased from -1.5) -0.5 rear, 0 toe front 1mm toe in rear. tyres are 225 front and rear.

The above has helped the cornering but there still seems to be something wrong with corner entry. The fact that both my friend and I experience the same issue with different techniques (I drive an s14) i cant seem to fix the issue unless i slightly flick the tail round or trailbrake but this can't be done on every corner as it does upset the car.

Any advice on suspension setups? driving techniques? Ideally we would like the car to slight oversteer on corner entry if this is possible as some slight understeer on exit is "acceptable" for the owner.

Cheers in Advance
    FenrirWC

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Increase Rear sway bar size
    stiffen rear suspension
    run doral tires on the rears
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    EG+CL9
    TbM pretty much nailed it

you want a massive rear-swaybar some re-enforcement so that it doesnt tare away anything (ie ASR or tie brace), adjustable suspension (ie coilovers) , replace all of your bush's (ie hardrace or energy suspension) and put on some hollywood tires =p
    4-point ultra racing rear-bar wont go stray either for oversteer
    ----------------------------
    D15b Turbo EG Sedan Build + CL9 Lux N/A Build
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127680

You didn't change anything much. You have to go extreme to tell a difference if you want to see what settings do what.

Toe out makes the car turn in a lot faster but straight line is not as stable.
    I'm running 3 mm total toe out front and back.

Thinner front sway (or take it off) and thicker rear.
    More camber at the rear and up the psi on the rear as well.

That will be a good start and write back to let s know how you go.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    TbM's advice is spot on.

What sort of adjustability to the coils have?

Does it have a front sway too? and if so, how does it's size compare to the rear?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

lift off throttle. over steer

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    ^ HAHAH you got it !!

Just running standard EG5 "VTi" sway bars all round and I wouldnt want any MORE oversteer.. even before fitting 7-point cage the car had a bucket of oversteer just from braces and coilovers.

I'd say your Toe settings are wonky if it's really bad and not lift-off oversteer.

even in over-steer, you are constantly attempting to under steer...

Only then will you have a true understanding of the four wheel drift...

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWC View Post
    Hey guys posting a question as my friend and I need a lil help here. My friend has a Ek civic with a b16 engine, coilovers, sway bars etc and he is trying to get into some autocross events. The problem he is having is the car suffers from understeer and try as he might he cant seem to correct the issue.

After taking it for a drive myself i understand what he ment pushing it through a corner just before the apex the car will start to understeer. In response to this I have lowered the front a bit which now sits about 15-20mm higher than the rear compared to the 30mm it was at. Running -2 deg camber front(increased from -1.5) -0.5 rear, 0 toe front 1mm toe in rear. tyres are 225 front and rear.

The above has helped the cornering but there still seems to be something wrong with corner entry. The fact that both my friend and I experience the same issue with different techniques (I drive an s14) i cant seem to fix the issue unless i slightly flick the tail round or trailbrake but this can't be done on every corner as it does upset the car.

Any advice on suspension setups? driving techniques? Ideally we would like the car to slight oversteer on corner entry if this is possible as some slight understeer on exit is "acceptable" for the owner.

Cheers in Advance
    FenrirWC
    Quote Originally Posted by TbM View Post
    Increase Rear sway bar size
    stiffen rear suspension
    run doral tires on the rears
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 200sx S14
    Thanks for the advice guys the coilovers are buddyclubs i think (were blue and red/black) as for sways bars i completely for about them think there are new sways on there ill tell him to look for something a bit bigger or see if they are adjustable pretty sure the front sway was bigger than the rear but ill have to take another look at em.

And No we arent trying to drift it butterfingers :P some slight slip is all we are after.

I dont know much about civic suspension set ups tbh (althought i really want to ) im sorta working it out as i go along and my friend is less mechanically inclined ha ha ha but loved racing go karts and has prgressed onto cars. maybe Autocross isnt for him :P
    Thanks for all the advice guys

Try running staggered rims, 15x6.5 or 15x7 on the rear and wider ones at the front.
    WP PB 1:15:03

Member Array
    Car:
    Flying Carpet
    What about some negative camber on the front wheels ??? lmao
    SingleCammerJammer