Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    B16A2 EG Gli

Keep the B16A2 or buy a B16B and stroke it? Eg Gli P Plate >15% Displacement Issue.

Hey Ozhonda!

Here's my issue. I've bought a eg gli with a B16A2 as my first car for my red Ps and I always planned to drop a B18C into it but stupid me after buying the car I realised that the gli came with a 1.5L engine and me being in NSW, we can't swap in an engine with a displacement increase of over 15% making the B18C swap illegal.

So here's my dilemma. Either I keep the B16A2 which is in the car already and tune the head and then keep it all the way until I'm on my fulls which then I'll probably B20 or boost it. Or to buy a B16B which I found for $3200 and stroke it to a 1.8L which will be legal because the stamp says its a 1.6

My goal for the car is to keep it as a daily driver with some oomph which I can have fun with every so often, after I get my full licence I'm going to turn it into an all out track car. I'm also considering keeping the B16B (if I get one) a 1.6L because I love the high revs and being also love being the underdog and it has enough torque for me. I'm also planning on racing in 1.6L classes.

I'd like your opinions on what to do, thanks guys!

Member Array
    Car:
    91 ED9 CRX
    I think b18c is within 15%

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    B16A2 EG Gli
    Unfortunately not would only be able to go up to 1725cc. I would go with a B17 or stroke my B16A2 with B17 internals to do something different, but I can't find any parts for it as they're rare.

•CRX• represent Array
    Car:
    CRX+CBR250RR
    15% more displacement.

Exactly what is your budget? is the main thing to think about before deciding on the engine conversion.

as a p plater you are not allowed any sort of modification that increases power.
    means engine swaps are out.
    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...s_nov_2007.pdf

it wouldn't be "illegal" to swap in a B18C, you just have to get it engineered

•CRX• represent Array
    Car:
    CRX+CBR250RR
    dorikin of course its not illegal but in terms of the legality on P plates, you're only going to get screwed over if you get the wrong cop.
    You can still register the car in your name the RTA won't have a clue.
    Another thing to note is what about insurance? if something happens to your car your insurance probably won't cover you...... if they find out you're on your P plates and driving a car that you technically shouldn't be.

Is the risks worth it?

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    B16A2 EG Gli
    @Snoop_gee I understand that no mods that increase power are allowed, but a lot of P platers in Sydney are rocking EG/EKs with B16s or B18s and DC2s with B20s with no hassles. So I'm pretty sure it's fine if I get a B16B as long as maybe I change the rocker cover or something so it's not straight out obvious that it's a Type R Motor :P What's your opinion on my question? My budget is about $4000

@dorikin Hahaha I know ahhhh If only P platers could drive cars with engineered mods. If only I could get a B18C though, such a bad decision on my part buying the gli without thinking about the whole 15% displacement increase thing.

Member Array
    Car:
    Crx Del Sol
    The b16b is almost identical to the b16a apart from the red top, taller block and therefor taller rods. For 3.5k you could get a decent intake, decent headers a decent cat back and have some left over for head work. In all seriousness switching engines to the same displacement you wouldn't really feel any difference in power or toque. The only reason I would drop in a b16b would be if I couldn't find a b18 type r. Your only on your p's for a few years. Plan your mods to what numbers your looking for or the setup you want

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    B16A2 EG Gli
    Thanks oopoc for your answer. The only reason why I'm considering dropping in the B16B is because it's not legal for me to drop in a B18C. I'll most likely be stroking the B16B to 1.8L because a mate is going to B20 his DC2 and he's giving me the block of his B18C2, which will still be legal because the stamp will say it's a B16B therefore a "1.6L", the RTA won't know shit.

Although some part of me has always wanted to have a high revving 1.6L with a 4.9 final drive. Love the high revs and I've driven my mate's integra vtir and it only goes alright to me, 1.6L is enough torque for me to get around and I'd also like the better fuel economy. P platers aren't supposed to be going fast anyways. Depending on what I'm doing to my car now, I'm planning to keep the motor for my track car on my fulls.

Say if I was planning on running in the 1.6L class in hillclimbs or whatever, do you guys think it'd be better for me to tune the B16A2 or buy a B16B and tune that?

Cheers for your answers!

Member Array
    Car:
    Crx Del Sol
    If your planning on playing in the 1.6L class then getting the b16b block will only add weight (being a larger block). I would say whole on your p's do the standard intake, header and exhaust and maby chip the ecu and tune. Then wait till your off your p's and the new found power isn't enough then you go forged internals and maby a turbo depending on rules.

Personally I was planning some huge build to my del sol. But in the end I've kinda grown to love my b16a. They are a fine motor and still hold well against most modern 4s and well tuned give some smaller 6s a run for their money.

Oh almost forgot. Internally the b16a and b16b are interchangeable. You just need slightly smaller rods. But the standard b16a setup is almost perfect, it just needs stronger rods
    Last edited by oopoc; 15-01-2013 at 10:33 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    B16A2 EG Gli
    Yeah thats a pretty good idea, one of the main appealing things with the B16B to me is that I can always stroke it to 1.8L if I wanted to though, but I suppose if I'm planning on keeping it a 1.6L I should just do work on the B16A2 for now and perhaps chuck on a B20 block when I'm on my fulls. So indefinite with everything at the moment so I'd like more opinions!

What have you ended up doing to your B16A oopoc? And also, are most intakes/headers/exhausts compatible with B18Cs if I choose to slap on a different block with my B16A2 head when I'm on my fulls?

I'd like more opinions guys, let me know what you'd do if you were in my situation! Thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    Crx Del Sol
    You can stroke a b16a to 1.8 as well....you could prolly make a b20 out of a b16a if you realy wanted. All b series parts are interchangeable so you could get a nice exhaust and intake set up and run it on a b16a for now then chuck a b18 in later with minimal hassle.

Currently I've only got a cai and 2 1/2 inch cat back. But sometime this year I'm hoping to have some time to build the head, add some string rods, itbs and get her tuned