Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Newcomer Array

Smile Sportivo/T-Sport or Type R?

I've been looking at options for my first car. I have always dreamed of owning an FN2. Anyways, I was watching a youtube video where a Corolla Sportivo/T-Sport had beaten my dream Civic. But there are videos of Civic's beating T-sports. I wanted to ask this question on the Corolla forums, but then realised the majority are immature twits. Which car is actually faster? And I have this list of criteria and wanted to ask the opinions of others to see which would be the better option. Speed is one thing, but the overall package is more important to me. Thanks guys

Sound: V-tec over VVTL-I
    Which is faster overall: ?
    Handles better: ?
    Easier to live with:
    Looks: FN2
    Last edited by K20_Z; 20-01-2013 at 06:49 PM.

Go drive both and go with what you like best.
    “We can't stop here, this is bat country!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Newcomer Array
    I can't drive yet. I have a year to go. But I still want to finalise everything, and check to see with experienced people about which car is better.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1-RR 2.7
    Mate the sportivo may be a nice drive but putting it in the same sentence as Type R !!! lol

I have a Civic VTi (1.8 sohc 104kws ) and I've had 2 battles with a worked over Sportivo at Eastern Creek race track. We both had the same Toyo tyres and although he had coilovers he got his arse handed to him. The only time he had me was down the main straight, he'd maybe catch up the 3 or 4 car lengths he lost in the previous 10 corners !! and my car has shit long gearing. Type R would kill a Sportivo !

FN2R ... never really liked the corollas I drove

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    One famous forum member went from honda to a corolla named CB

maybe he will chime in with feeling impression

I've worked a lot on sportivos, I'd say get the honda as there is more aftermarket support and is cheaper (mod wise).

Even sourcing new pads and rotors for the sportivo was a hassle due to different sized depending on year and country of make.

It's pretty hard to tune the 2ZZGE engine too compared with the K20, lift has nothing on vtec as it's such a small power band, around 7k rpm to a tad over 8k before it hits the limiter.

Gearbox (c150) on the sportivos are pretty weak too, both my friend and I had issues with our syncros (I had a AE111 with 20V blacktop).

If you get a late model FN2R it also comes with an LSD standard, something that you would really want on it.

With that being said both cars run torsion beam rear suspension which probably isn't idea for handling, go for an EP3R if you can live with the bland looks and gearstick location (personal preference).

Inb4 ep3r vs fn2r repeat

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Quote Originally Posted by lolmclol View Post
    Inb4 ep3r vs fn2r repeat
    lmaooo as always!

no matter the topic,type R debate will happen

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by fillit View Post

With that being said both cars run torsion beam rear suspension which probably isn't idea for handling, go for an EP3R if you can live with the bland looks and gearstick location (personal preference).
    Massive +1. Great input.

Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    lmaooo as always!

no matter the topic,type R debate will happen
    Quote Originally Posted by dougie_504 View Post
    Massive +1. Great input.
    Within the confines of the OPs options and the sake of getting into another argument about fn2rs and ep3s let's drop that recommendation?

Overall go FN2R, Sportivos look dated and it's practically a Corolla with a beefier engine without any modifications to the chassis. In a straight line, it goes alright (for a family car), take it around corners, it's pretty slow.

FN2R has larger brakes, 5x114.3, bucket seats, twin exhausts... soo many goodies you won't get in a sportivo, it's probably only 5 - 7k more, but damn.. it's going to cost you that much to modify a sportivo to fn2r spec anyway

Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by fillit View Post
    I've worked a lot on sportivos, I'd say get the honda as there is more aftermarket support and is cheaper (mod wise).

Even sourcing new pads and rotors for the sportivo was a hassle due to different sized depending on year and country of make.

It's pretty hard to tune the 2ZZGE engine too compared with the K20, lift has nothing on vtec as it's such a small power band, around 7k rpm to a tad over 8k before it hits the limiter.

Gearbox (c150) on the sportivos are pretty weak too, both my friend and I had issues with our syncros (I had a AE111 with 20V blacktop).

If you get a late model FN2R it also comes with an LSD standard, something that you would really want on it.

Not entirely true bro, Lift comes on at 6000rpm in the Sportivo and it cuts the fuel at 8300rpm, so yes, my EP3R has more 'happy zone' but only cause it revs to 9000rpm if I make it . . . funnily enough it doesn't keep making power over 8500rpm, so the power bands are very very similar. The aftermarket for them (2ZZGE) has grown considerably as they have become more affordable for the P Plate market. Having said that, you will find 100 times the goodies on the aftermarket for a K20 than you will for a 2ZZGE.

Country of make? Every Corolla Sportivo from 2003-2005 (which is when they made them) was made in South Africa, none were made elsewhere, there may be some confusion given that the other Corolla models of the time were built in Japan. I sourced pads and rotors from my local ABS, didn't have an issue at all.

I'm not going to comment on an FN2 as I haven't owned one, but I feel well qualified to comment on the Sportivo and the EP3R (I've owned, driven and modified both for a decent period of time now) Comparing them is really not a very fair fight. The Corolla punches above it's weight . . . for what it is. What it is, is a 4 door car produced in massive numbers that has had leather, an engine and gearbox and a body kit thrown at it. The EP3R is a proper performance hatch. Proper = Engine and Box, Suspension, Seats, etc etc etc.

To give you an idea, my Sportivo + $15k = My EP3 Stock Standard. As with any comparison, it all comes down to what you want from the car. What is it that you want from the car? Do you want to throw 4 mates in it? Do you need boot space? Do you like being able to walk into your local dealer and have them know what you are talking about? Etc Etc Etc. The list goes on.

If you are really keen on the Corolla, I suggest spending some time on the au.toyotaownersclub.com/forum site, if you want some tips on how to make one go faster, PM me. Otherwise, everything you need to know about the Honda's is right here.

Edit: Almost forgot, as far as overall driving experience and awesomeness factor . . . buy an EP3.
    Last edited by -JC-; 20-01-2013 at 07:51 PM.