Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    It's all been said. Corolla for practicality and no cop bait, not a fun car. Prices for genuine parts are through the roof. Handles like ass stock, need to spend a lot (2-3k at least) just to make it handle on par with say... a stock dc2. Facelifted stivos cost an arm and a leg, not worth the money IMO.

I haven't driven an FN2R but it's nearly double the price of a sportivo, don't think it's a fair comparison. Would say go the corolla only if you needed 4 doors or wanted a reliable under the radar daily
    KEEP IT VIET | KEEP IT JDM
    FaLL iN LoVe WheN YoU aRe ReAdY, NoT WhEN YoU ARe LOnEly

Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by fillit View Post
    You must be a Sydney boy? I've seen his car/met him at TOCAU annual (I used to be a toyota guy, but now moved on, still keep in touch with them because they are nice bunch to hang around). Yes, I was definitely impressed at what he managed to fit into that engine bay (FYI working on it was an absolute b!tch, can I say that unless you run an oil catch can the plenum can get quite oily and cleaning it requires removing the front half of the bay). Although I am a little disappointed that he only runs 12s as he put ALOT of effort into it and top quality parts. I'm not sure if he has taken it to the track yet, as I would been keen what he could do around Wakefield to give a proper yard stick.

Can I also comment on how I dislike how high you ride in the Sportivo and from memory if you run BC coilovers you have to remove the rear trim to adjust the dampers.

However, it is a damn side practical compared to the FN2R, 4 doors and heaps of boot space, also you don't get every hoon trying to run you at the lights, totally stealth.

For the records, my friend did a 1.46.X at winton with the above mentioned Sportivo with semis.. an FN2R could do that with just semi's.. Mark's FN2R from TPNM got pretty close, I think he was around the 1.47 - 1.49 range with stock car and KU31s.
    I'm not from Sydney mate, but know Billy through TOCAU, couple of the boys from Brisbane have been down to Annuals etc etc. I would imagine it's not alot of fun to work on, those things were bad enough without all the extra bits and pieces he has shoe-horned in there!

Your right about the quality parts etc, and whilst 12's sounds disappointing given the cash that went into it, I don't think he has really had THAT many cracks at the 1/4 and probably did so on street tyres or similar (don't quote me).

Agreed on the seating position, the Honda's are definitely geared more toward performance driving, hence the Type R nameplate, as we all seem to agree, the Corolla Sportivo is a Corolla with a few nice things thrown in. Nice for practicality, putting 4 people in etc etc, but as with any comparison like this, it really comes down to what you want out of the car.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic
    every sportivo ive seen has beaten type R's..

Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamboy93 View Post
    every sportivo ive seen has beaten type R's..
    My cat's name is mittens

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Some info on Wikipedia about over revving the engine...

"Consequently, it is impossible to "over-rev" the engine with the throttle alone; a downshift from a higher gear must be involved. A typical "over-rev" can damage the oil pump, commonly disintegrating the lobe ring, resulting in damage similar to the picture at right. The oil pump is the Achilles heel of the 2ZZ, though incidents are rare and usually occur due to fault of the driver. Even the briefest period of oil starvation is usually fatal to this engine design."
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Newcomer Array
    Obviously you haven't seen them all. I've seen EP's and FN's beat Sportivo's. But at the same time, I've seen it the other way around. It depends on the driver I think.. Stock on stock with the same driver, the FN2 is faster, both to 100 and 200. Time video's on youtube and you'll see.

Lol, you don't really get either car to go fast in a straight line, that's what Turbos and big block V6/8s are for. If you're referring to digs at the light, its always going to be whoever gets the jump so its not a good measure.

On the circuit, Stivos get their ass handed to them...
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Newcomer Array
    I really wasn't looking for straight line performance. Just a car which provides an overall "X factor." Which apparently seems to be the FN2 according to a few answers I have received.

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek4_cxi_type_R
    tivo has no x factor at all. Lol. Such a boring car, mainly cause its just a corolla, with a different engine. No sussy differences.

Not to mention the clutch is so fkn bland and boring to use.

charliebrown can confirm how boring the clutch is.

Member Array
    Car:
    '05 Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by K20_Z View Post
    I really wasn't looking for straight line performance. Just a car which provides an overall "X factor." Which apparently seems to be the FN2 according to a few answers I have received.
    Your always going to get that from people who own a specific car mate. I have an EP3 and I love it, so of course I'm going to recommend it. Go and drive them all and decide for yourself.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    EP3>FN2>Sportivo

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1 , ED6, e30
    Good choice. Sportivo's overseas came supercharge in Europe and my friend said the useable power ain't no where near as good as a k20
    Stanced cars are like girls in high heels, sexy as hell, extremely impractical

www.flickr.com/photos/xposure2010