Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo

Am I ever going to find one?

Hi Everyone,

Not sure where this thread should go... but... I'm just looking through the paper and the net to find an EK Civic in manual, under 200K KMs that's anywhere from $3000 to $4000 in Sydney and hasn't been trashed. It's for a friend of mine, not me.
    I've had a look at a few in that range and EVERY single one looks to have been trashed. The sellers seem pretty dodgy to be honest. Patchy service history or the classic "this car belongs to my aunty/cousin who isn't here".
    We're looking for a bone stock, non modified car. At the moment we're looking at the CXI model which is the utmost basic Civic spec there is.
    And one more question... do Civics blow their head gaskets easily? nearly EVERY single Civic that I've serviced from the EG/EK era with a D15/16 engine for my friends has had a silently blown head gasket. By blown I mean the coolant is bubbling at idle and when you accelerate the coolant goes everywhere!
    But the question still stands, do decent Civic CXIs in the $3000-$4000 range exist or should we be spending $5000-$6000 for a decent example of a 15 year old Civic? (Honestly I'd just go buy a much newer Camry or something with $6000).

Thanks.

Member Array
    Car:
    CivInteJazPreAc
    Generally, If a CXI isn't modified, it hasn't been thrashed. The engine is not enjoyable to thrash like a B series is. More importantly, you should be worried about whether the car has been serviced regularly. D series can take a good beating but no engine likes to be neglected.
    Barely ever heard of head gasket problems with D series or Honda for that matter.
    You should be able to find a decent EK1 for under $4000 quite easily.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo
    Quote Originally Posted by FAITHLESS View Post
    More importantly, you should be worried about whether the car has been serviced regularly. D series can take a good beating but no engine likes to be neglected.
    Since I'm more of a car electrical person and not a mechanicals person, I think I'll make a recommendation to get a private inspection for $197 from NRMA etc. Will these people be able to determine if a car has been serviced well or not... or can sneaky sellers still hide things with a major service before a sale?

Member Array
    Car:
    CivInteJazPreAc
    There are always clues as to how an engine has been treated. I think it's kind of like being a detective haha.
    If you're good enough you can find out alot about the engines history and how worn it is. You can't find out everything but you can get a pretty good picture without opening the engine up. Sellers can definitely hide things pretty well, but most of the time there are still a few signs that it's not all they say it is.
    Even something as simple as upon your first time ringing them, say "Hi, I'm ringing about the CAR you have for sale". Don't say the make, and if they umm and ahh about what car you're talking about, you know they're a dealer trying to pass of the shit cars they can't sell at the dealership privately. Thats just one example, but it doesn't have to be all mechanical inspection. Play with the seller and you often get an idea about what they might be dishonest about.
    After you feel they are legit, then get an inspection for the car.

Member Array
    Car:
    front ender ek9
    Stevo does this look suitable for you?

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...k1-WHITE-CHEAP!

CXi, 170,000kms, 10 months rego and supposedly no mods. $3000

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Always talk to the owner. Always meet them at there house. Also inspect car when cold. Not been run for 3 hrs or so.
    Ask person before u inspect any thing broken or damage on body. If they say no and you find things. You no there lieing about alot more.

And always do the normal. Exhaust smoke color check. Oil colour. Coolent colour. Oil level. Spark plug condition. And test drive from cold.

Also compare distances between panels and from tires to fenders to see if cars chasse is bent or in been repaired.

Also get a dc4 they go alot cheaper and run alot better

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Quote Originally Posted by ctx View Post
    Stevo does this look suitable for you?

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...k1-WHITE-CHEAP!

CXi, 170,000kms, 10 months rego and supposedly no mods. $3000
    Not exactly clean

dodgy painted moulds,general rough look imo

I wouldnt buy from an enthusiast site if looking for a standard civic,rather try my luck and get one from a regular person/girl/lady thats never been tampered with

others will disagree Im sure but yeah my 2cents

OP just be patient and keep scouring carsales etc.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD Civic Modulo
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM DC2R View Post
    Also get a dc4 they go alot cheaper and run alot better
    DC4 as in integra? I thought they cost heaps... cause it's an Integra!

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo1210 View Post
    DC4 as in integra? I thought they cost heaps... cause it's an Integra!
    Not really. DC4s are very good value. I'd recommend one.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Check gumtree
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Indie View Post
    Not really. DC4s are very good value. I'd recommend one.
    Yep.....

Pretty sure Integras being a 'sports coupe' would be a big insurance hit though no?
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter