Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now I get it

Thumbs up Now I get it

Took delivery of a new manual MY13 Accord Euro late last year and whilst I was happy with the interior cabin and transmission I couldn't help but feel a little underwhelmed by the performance. After having the complimentary 1,000km service recently I thought i'd take a drive this weekend to give it a proper workout once everything has been bedded down.

Trip took me from the city over the Blue Mountains and down to Jenolan Caves and back. With 4 people in the car plus climate control the car cruised effortlessly up the mountains in 5th/6th gear, even taking into account all the constant speed limit changes from 60 to 110 and everything in between (also how many speed cameras are now in NSW!!!)

Once I turned off the highway it was a whole new ballgame, with some long sweeping corners and twisty bits begging me to push harder as my confidence grew, my only slight criticism was the front n/s suspension knocking over some sharp bumps. Apart from that the cabin was very quiet and comfortable and despite sitting in the car a couple of hours either way I still felt quite fresh.

Even back in the city the car felt punchier and more responsive down low, not sure whether it's the engine adapting or loosening up a bit or maybe i've just gotten better accustomed to driving the Euro. And finally the fuel economy wasn't bad either, managed low 8l/100km despite climbing up and down hills and pushing it a few times.

All being said now I get why the Euro is so popular among owners and critics alike. Please feel free to add your own Euro owner/driver experiences, or any Euro driving tips or tricks. Cheers...

Member Array
    Car:
    ACCORD EURO
    I found that the Euro grows on you,and when I bought mine,did not realise how good it actually is...

Out of 7 brand new cars,I am convinced that this one is my best do far...

What car did you own before,and what others,if any,did you consider ???

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Yeah, Euro's really shine on twisting roads. Then again, I can't imagine any car to be fun driving in the city....

Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    What car did you own before,and what others,if any,did you consider ???
    Previous car was a 2003 Corolla Conquest sedan which i've had since new. Not really a fan of the current sedan, considered the new ZR hatch but would've cost more than the Accord at the higher spec and still only making similar power to my 10yo car.

There's virtually nothing in the mid size luxury/sports class that even comes close to the base Accord Euro for features and value, plus the lack of a manual transmission ruled out many other options.

Expecting performance out of a economic mid size saloon. Especially one from Honda

Yeah but with nearly 50% more power and only ~ 30% more weight than my old car I kinda expected a bit more

Ultimately it's probably a little big and heavy around the city where it's never going to be as nimble as a small hatch or sedan, even compared to my old car, but what I realised the other day is that it's not about trying to go faster but rather to enjoy the ride and comfort whether i'm the city or out on the open road.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    It puts out only 140kw and wieghs 1500kgs
    And having 4 people in the car... Can't expect much more
    Unless you put a K20a head on it lol
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Or J37

But yeah too heavy. Good for what it is but it was never going to be a fast car.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasemas View Post
    It puts out only 140kw and wieghs 1500kgs
    And having 4 people in the car... Can't expect much more
    Unless you put a K20a head on it lol
    Even then you need the short gears in the type r gearbox to take full advantage of the power.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Sounds like he should have gone a 6cyl 3 series based on his needs

Great handling sedan with a bit more poke

Member Array
    Car:
    ACCORD EURO
    We have a Corolla Ascent similar to your old one,but find thde Euro a massive step up over it in every way.

Funnily eniugh my second choice was also a Corolla,but the Ultima sedan,but as hard as I tried,I could just not fall in love with it.

My previous chariot was a MY07 Volkswagen Jetta.

Its been a torturous 5 years as Ive patiently waited, but the days are counting down. This close <-> to signing for my MY13 Luxury Navi. I cant wait and hope it works out. Still after years of research and watching car prices and specs, I cant see anything that is close to the Euro. The new Mazda 6 or a 5 year old Merc C class are the closest I can come up with.

I test drove a Luxury Auto with 69 klms on the clock and it did feel slightly tight, particularly in the gearbox and, felt a touch short on torque from 2000-3500. Glad to hear it also grows on you.