Member Array
    Car:
    09 CU2 LUX NAV

[CU2] Suggestions on coilovers

Hey all,

I've been lerking around for sometime now, recently purchased a CU2, im due for some suspension work, any suggestions on comfy coilovers?

So far BC's don't sound like my type of set up, good price but there loud and uncomfy.
    Im thinking maybe Skunk2 pro S or TIEN SS? anyone have a set of these and can provide my info and review on them.

I just installed ISC N1 coilovers; they have 3 different springs that you can get and you can adjust the damper. I got the street/comfort ones and from a quick 2 minute drive they seemed great. Getting new wheels, tryes and wheel alignment done on Saturday...before I got for a proper drive.

Would I recommend them...maybe. Semi-Rant:

The one thing that turned me off them was the rear coilovers supplied. The stock rear suspension has a nut welded to it, for the lower mounting bolt. The ISC coilovers do not come with this nut welded on or a loose nut for that matter (see image below). I only discovered this after pulling the old rear one out. So I left my car out of action for around 1.5 weeks, whilst I sorted this out.

After contacting the place where I bought it from, they just said to buy a new nut and bolt and nothing special is required. IMO this is a crock of shit.

Just for the benefit of others:
    Now I am sure the engineers at Honda know a thing or two about the loads transferred through the lower mounting bolt. The old bolt is a class 10.9, so not your average bolt that you find at Bunnings. It also has a fine thread (1.25mm), definitely not going to find that at Bunnings. You might think that you could reuse the bolt and buy a nut somewhere...if you do, 100% likely the nut will be lower than a class 10...the bolt must always be the weakest link. I spent a week searching for an M12x1.25mm Class 10 Nut (galavanised) and no bolt shop in Australia had one.

The nut you use must be some form of lock nut, IMO, otherwise it may loosen itself over time thanks to vibration. I ended up using a brand new clinch nut (Class 10) that is used in the front suspension and brand new bolt (Class 10.9) both from Honda and also some threadlocker - she should hold hopefully for now, while I look for a more permanent solution (e.g. tack welding clinch nut etc). I'm not sure what a workshop would have done or what a typical DIYer would have done...being a mechanical engineer helped me.

I think that oversight destroyed the otherwise quality build of the ISC coilovers.

I'll try provide a review after the alignment and if I can find some spare time.

This is one of main reasons I went for tein ss. It comes with this bolt welded as stock, also front brake holder bolt is as stock.

If you wan 100% best fit and sporty ride that can be made as stock go for tein ss , BTW I had BC and they were clunky and also did not have any of bolts welded like Dilans isc

I've read a lot of posts in this forum and most of them recommend Tein SS

Member Array
    Car:
    05 Accord Euro
    where did you get that BC's are loud and uncomfy? Ive got D2 coilovers and they are pretty good and quiet and my friend has just installed BC's in his and its rather on par maybe a little bit stiffer but not much.
    Daily Drive: 2008 Accord Euro
    Weekend Drive: 1998 Lancer Evolution 5

I had BC before tein ss.

And they were clunky, took them back got all 4 new units and still clunking at rear.

Place got onto BC and they could not offer a fix got my refound.

Google BC clunk Rex boys are having this issue as well.

I wish hsd made coilovers for our cars because they perform well.

try buddyclub they have a nice ride to them