Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Type R

DC2 ITR pod filter issue - can't breathe.

Hey guys, I'm having some scarry issues with my ITR. 2000 DC2 ITR, was running like a dream till today. Suddenly I can't take off at the lights because the car attempts to stall everytime I put it in 1st or 2nd. So I gotta rev it like crazy to just make the takeoff.

Managed to get it home with a lot of pissed off Sydney drivers honking. Well I got out of the car to see what the hell is going on in the engine bay. And get this, it seems the pod filter ain't sucking in air! I use an exposed pod filter, short pipe. Well when I step on the accelerator this pod filter makes these funny 'throwing-up like' noises - like it wants to suck in air but cant. And as it does so, the engine just attempts to stall or stalls completely.

Please help!!! I love my ITR!!!

Kam
    you'll be sayin to yourself 'damn is that a Type-R'?

Put the stock intake back in and test

any Check Engine Light?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    just pull the filter off with the engine running and then re install, there shouldn't be any hesitation, if there is there there is restriction.
    = First Production Company To Produce 100HP Per Litre NA

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Integra
    Check sensors if they came loose. Pod doesn't really matter unless its clogged. Ecu eventually learns A/F.
    Check if fuel related ...maybe bogging/stalling? Related to fuel filter & Fuel pump pressure.
    Over rev, blow something? Slugglish?

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    ^^ thats what we are referring to in regards to the pod being clogged although yes it is fairly unlikely, Does the car misfire?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Type R
    Hey guys, many tnx for your replies. About to take the pod off now and see if it still chokes without the pod.
    In reply:

- I don't have the stock intake so can't test this.
    - No check engine lights
    - Car idles very smooth. No miss fire. It's only when I tap the accelerator that the engine wants to stall. I also notice that when I tap the accelerator and look at the pod filter, the pod deforms as it tries to suck in air!

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    ok thats a good sign for a bad sign lol

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Clean the pod if it's oil based (99% chance it is).

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Romove filter and start car. This will tell you if its the filter or not. I got a feeling you exhaust sensor is fuked. And you running Way rich!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Type R
    Hey guys, appreciate your continuing support. Well yesterday I removed the pod (K & N pod) and inspected it. Still like new. I went ahead and started the car after fair bit of trouble. The thing coughed and sputtered and failed to start. Everytime it failed, it puffed out heaps of smoke back out of the air intake pipe! The smoke was a strong fuel burning smoke. After it finally started, it idled perfectly smooth as usual and I refitted the pod back onto the pipe and it stayed normal.

Well, I went to test drive it and it drove fine for about 10-15km, until the trouble begun again. At the lights when put in first gear, engine bogged and wouldn't take off, no power at all, stalled on me. I managed to get it back home and was suprised at how much fuel it used! Booked it with a mechanic for next Thursday.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by kam7 View Post
    Hey guys, appreciate your continuing support. Well yesterday I removed the pod (K & N pod) and inspected it. Still like new. I went ahead and started the car after fair bit of trouble. The thing coughed and sputtered and failed to start. Everytime it failed, it puffed out heaps of smoke back out of the air intake pipe! The smoke was a strong fuel burning smoke. After it finally started, it idled perfectly smooth as usual and I refitted the pod back onto the pipe and it stayed normal.

Well, I went to test drive it and it drove fine for about 10-15km, until the trouble begun again. At the lights when put in first gear, engine bogged and wouldn't take off, no power at all, stalled on me. I managed to get it back home and was suprised at how much fuel it used! Booked it with a mechanic for next Thursday.
    keep us updated
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre