Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Garbage Truck

Turbo b16a2 queries

So I figured, if I don't sell my EM1 Civic VTI-R I could boost it instead. The alternative was to buy a 180sx or similar Nissan, though I think I'd much prefer my little civic.

The questions I'd like to know are;
    - Is there any shop in Sydney that will source the turbo parts for me so all I need to do is drive in, pay them and drive out with a turbo installed? If so, what sort of expense would I be looking at?
    - How a turbo affect my fuel economy? I presently get about 450-500km for a 40L tank, driving for the most part, sedately with a bit of shenanigans now and then.
    - Where and how much will it cost me to get the car engineered so that I don't have to worry about getting defected?

Thanks in advance!

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    Bro.. U can buy the complete turbo bolt on kit from online performance shops.. Fitting will be up to u if u know DIY or pay for someone to do it for u..

Economy for a turbo car will always be not as good... Approx 12-16L /100klms... It all depends on how good your tuner is with tuning... Gl buddy
    B to BFrank to K .... ive had it ......

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    Depends how much boost and how hard you drive. My SR20 on 9 psi gets me about 450km/50L.

A full day at Wakefield and my tank lasted me 5-6 runs and was able to drive to the BP

and if you want it to get engineered try to find someone .... not as anal.
    You may have to address, suspensions, brakes, outlay of your turbo set up.
    Last edited by DakDak; 27-01-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    look over in the USA for quality turbo kits, either fit urself or then pay someone to fit,

also, fuel economy shuld be betta once turbo kit is tuned, as you mentioned u only drive it hard here n there, assuming u will do the same...
    which means the down low and midrange will b betta and easier to drive once tuned to suit ur mods....

with my itr NA, i used to get 450-500kms, once boosted i got 550+ every single tank, i drove the same amount and the same way all the time

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    better to get a avo kit, since there emissions certified and engineering it would be a breeze.
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    Lol at emmisions and adr from avo...

I been there and done that with avo...

Its a bullshit certificate that their own car was adr aproved and emissions aproved ...
    The papers have rego n vin numbers from their car...which means it aint valid on ur car at all...

Member Array
    Car:
    inb4yursorryass
    Quote Originally Posted by IEVAQ8 View Post
    Lol at emmisions and adr from avo...

I been there and done that with avo...

Its a bullshit certificate that their own car was adr aproved and emissions aproved ...
    The papers have rego n vin numbers from their car...which means it aint valid on ur car at all...
    ^^Liked
    B to BFrank to K .... ive had it ......

Member Array
    Car:
    Garbage Truck
    The reason I wanted a workshop to install it was I don't have any experience working with turbo kits, I'm fairly mechanically savvy but I wouldn't know what to look for in terms of turbo parts and whether or not they're compatible.

Now I'm getting mixed responses regarding the boost. I would have imagined it would get better fuel economy since its a small engine, just like all the VW Golf's and Polo's that get turbo'd for increased power and fuel efficiency.

As for the engineering, would I need to upgrade my brakes and such? Hence the need to find somebody who will do it dodgily?

Member Array
    Car:
    DA9T+Euro
    I think you need to do a bit more online research- more power means more fuel. Those cars you mention are designed from the factory to be fuel efficient with a turbo, bolting one onto an engine not designed for it adds more air which means you need more fuel..
    DA9 LS w/JDM SiR B18C turbo
    Looking for older Honda project car pre-1985

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 N/A what?
    Well i'm in the same boat as ievaq8. before boosting my fd, i used to get 430km from 43L (10KM/1L), now boosted I can get the same fuel efficiency, sometimes more. It all depends on your tune and how much boost you run. I'm on 7psi daily.
    i live my life full boost, one gear at a time.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 N/A what?
    Any way to answer your questions, the cheapest way about it is to:

1. a) Do a lot of research on what kit you want and source it from the U.S.A (alternatively find a used kit locally)
    1. b) Take it to a renowned workshop good with tuning your choice of EMS (engine management system), I highly suggest emanage as a lot of tuners are experienced with it
    2. As above, fuel efficiency depends on the setup and tune
    3. You'd have to get the car emissions tested, and engineered for road safety - looking at upwards of $2000 depending (and if you run an aftermarket ecu, in most states = illegal)

Goodluck!
    i live my life full boost, one gear at a time.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    Quote Originally Posted by xenonkuraz View Post
    (and if you run an aftermarket ecu, in most states = illegal)
    say what?? haven't heard that one before!
    FOR SALE: Injector seal kits || Dayco B16A timing belt