Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget

Anyone used Dynaxorb / Deflex PowerPad / Second Skin Tweaker Pad etc?

I have purchased a whole bunch of Dynamat and was planning to install it this weekend (but rain killed it. Thanks rain). Now that my install has been postponed until (hopefully) next weekend, I was looking into Dynaxorb/Deflex PowerPads / Second Skin Tweaker Pads.

I know some of the guys on here have tried it (eg. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ing-your-doors) but I am finding it hard to confirm is these products are worth it or not (with most people installing it WITH their choice of deadening).

For those who don't know about these products, here are links to them:

Dynaxorb:
    http://www.dynamat.com/products_car_audio_dynaxorb.html

Deflex PowerPads:
    http://www.cascadeaudio.com/automoti...nd_control.htm

Second Skin Tweaker Pads:
    http://store.secondskinaudio.com/speaker-tweaker-kit/

Can anyone shed some light on either products? I know Jaycar also sells what looks to be the same (or very similar) product as the PowerPad and Tweaker Pad but in blue (and without the logo in the middle) for $20. Dynaxorb seem to be the most unique product.

Reading reviews, some people swear by them and others who say they are as good as snake oil.. While all comments are welcome, I would really appreciate those of you who have had ACTUAL experience with these products shedding some light on the products and your experiences with them and whether they are worth the money.

Cheers guys!
    Andrew

Member Array
    Car:
    Odyssey RB3
    The do work, but not really the way they are advertised.

I found better results from using an "eggshell" acoustic foam glued onto the dynamat/road kill inside the door.

The basis of the idea is to dispel/deflect the rear-wave harmonics from re-radiating through the cone.
    This can not work on less than 500Hz inside a door, and certainly not with only 3mm thick pads.
    The acoustic foam is ~40mm thick, and works much better.
    Digital is Only ON or OFF

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Ive only used the dynaxorb once so dont have a lot of experience with it but they do make a small difference imo, seems to clean up the sound a bit, mine fell off when the glue they provided failed to secure the pads properly and there was a noticable difference when i glued them back into place.
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    egg cartons could work too

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Quote Originally Posted by SQXPRT View Post
    The do work, but not really the way they are advertised.

I found better results from using an "eggshell" acoustic foam glued onto the dynamat/road kill inside the door.

The basis of the idea is to dispel/deflect the rear-wave harmonics from re-radiating through the cone.
    This can not work on less than 500Hz inside a door, and certainly not with only 3mm thick pads.
    The acoustic foam is ~40mm thick, and works much better.
    I have also considered this, however I cannot seem to find any 'eggshell' foam that will not retain water (and hence, possibly go moldy). Can you please let me know where you may have gotten this and how much you paid?

Quote Originally Posted by TbM View Post
    Ive only used the dynaxorb once so dont have a lot of experience with it but they do make a small difference imo, seems to clean up the sound a bit, mine fell off when the glue they provided failed to secure the pads properly and there was a noticable difference when i glued them back into place.
    That's good to hear! Someone with experience with a fully Dynamatted door with the Dynaxorb both on and off. What 'range' of sound did you notice the most difference with? Or did you just notice an overall improvement in sound quality?

Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    egg cartons could work too
    As above, I've looked into the foam options available. Having issues finding anything though. Water resistance is important to me though and I know my doors get a bit wet inside when it's raining or after a good wash so I don't want something that will just go all soggy and rot.

Rep for everyone so far though. Great to get some good, honest advice on the matter!

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    They have their limits but as a cheap alternative not that bad,also wondering if polystyrene cartons would effect it

Member Array
    Car:
    EVO
    http://www.ozbliss.com/products_cres...cessories.html

done & done. no need to worry about weathering. surprised mark hasnt suggested them, or are you not allowed to since youre out of the game now?
    Last edited by arverson; 15-02-2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: 123qwe
    /////ALPINE - )))morel - dYnaudio - \\Image Dynamics// - audison - optima - co|\|ection audison - stinger - Dynamat

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Quote Originally Posted by arverson View Post
    http://www.ozbliss.com/products_cres...cessories.html

done & done. no need to worry about weathering. surprised mark hasnt suggested them, or are you not allowed to since youre out of the game now?
    Might give this a try! Would be interesting to see how well it works. Happy to do A before and after review for everyone if I can get this by the end of the week!

Shame I can't find any comparisons between this and the other products listed above!

Member Array
    Car:
    2 Tonne Ek Tank
    Quote Originally Posted by androo View Post
    That's good to hear! Someone with experience with a fully Dynamatted door with the Dynaxorb both on and off. What 'range' of sound did you notice the most difference with? Or did you just notice an overall improvement in sound quality?
    im not very experienced with tuning/sq but to my ears it sounded like it cleanned up the vocals and it seemed as tho i could turn the volume up higher before distortion became noticable.
    "I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." - Ayrton Senna

Member Array
    Car:
    EVO
    def helps in the midrange frequency response, midbass not so much. look at that graph above. midbass would be ~60 to ~2-300hz. how much of a difference it is to YOU is another question.. depends how golden your ears are too. personally i notice a difference. just gotta ask yourself how much u value it cus it may be an insignificant difference.

what are your systems weaknesses right now?
    /////ALPINE - )))morel - dYnaudio - \\Image Dynamics// - audison - optima - co|\|ection audison - stinger - Dynamat

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Mid range is where I would like to see the most improvement. At the moment my doors are not sealed and I think they actually do sound pretty good (don't know the exact model numbers off the top of my head however I'm running JL speakers and amps). I'm hoping that sealing the doors with MDF/perspex (still deciding which one to use) and Dynamat will increase the overall sound quality, however mid range is where I want the most improvements.

I would say my ears are quite good. Quite picky to be honest (most would say my system is quite good already).

Member Array
    Car:
    EVO
    2 or 3 way system? where are u placing your mid-range driver? location, positioning, angling & tuning will play a much bigger role than any diffuser IMO