Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Integra RPM's fluctuating

Recently my 93 vtir teg engine died. I source a new one from hi power racing and put it in myself. It has approx 30xxx km's less than my old one.

I put it in myself, I got a new clutch while everything was out.

It was a straight swap over, engine starts fine, however there is a weird ticking sound coming from cluster/under dash and the rpm needle seems to rapidly jump up to 5k and back down a lot when driving around even though engine speed is only 2.5k.

Also when I press the throttle down more then halfway it feels like its slipping.
    Is this to be expected while the new clutch is wearing in?

Thanks.
    Last edited by iNfusi0n; 29-01-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    Also when I press the throttle down more then halfway it feels like its slipping.
    Is this to be expected while the clutch is wearing in
    Not that i have ever experienced. As for the bouncing tacho, check that the grounding bolt on the thermostat housing is tight and check the crimp itself, also check that the ground strap on the gearbox is tightly bolted.
    = First Production Company To Produce 100HP Per Litre NA

Member Array
    Car:
    B18C DA Integra
    Might be worth noting that your FITV (Fast Idle Thermo Valve) -OR- IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) may need cleaning. Below I have posted a link to help you do those yourself! Seriously, if you haven't already cleaned them, do it and thank me later :P

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1564019

Also, if checking your grounds like B18cEG mentioned, and cleaning your valve's doesn't fix the problem, the next thing I'd be looking at is coolant hoses and vacuum hoses, they can heavily impact your RPM's and your idle speeds. Especially one that runs from the bottom of the IACV to pipe that your water pump is plugged into (Presuming you're running with a B18c2), it is an absolute pain in the ass to attend to, but it's usually the tough ones that cause the problems, well in my experience anyway.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the ticking is related to the grounding wire that bolts onto your Thermostat housing, i experienced the same thing when i swapped the b18c into my DA. I had to fool with my injector wiring, which somehow caused the ground wire not to be able to reach it's old home. So what i can recommend is unbolting it from the housing, giving the area a quick sand with fine sandpaper, wipe it down and put the bolt back in finger tight then a half turn-full turn with a socket.

If no luck with that, make sure your battery is mounted tightly and all wires are sitting nicely in the terminals.

Hope i helped in some way, if i didn't then A for effort right?
    Last edited by djkng; 01-02-2013 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention some helpful information.
    illest

could be fuel pump or fuel filter needs replacing

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    Check the timing
    snapping 2nd..

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Fuel pump will go out all of a sudden - so that's not the worry here
    Just curious what happened to the last engine?
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    I think you missed the part where he said his rpm needle jumps around but engine speed is still at 2.5k

The grounding problem was spot on, fixed. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jasemas View Post
    Fuel pump will go out all of a sudden - so that's not the worry here
    Just curious what happened to the last engine?
    Oh and last engine, blown headgasket (alot of steam was coming out and oil was loaded with water). Had the head machined and tested, then got new gasket and put it together myself and still had steam puffing out however no water in oil, so I opted for a replacement engine.

I'll probaly rip the other engine apart and find out whats wrong when I get the time.

Today I took the car in and got Ivan at high power racing to take a look.
    Fortunately everything is running good (better than the last engine) however he did point out that my check engine light does not come on when its supposed to (when you put the key in and turn it once).

Anyone know what the problem could be?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Possibly a faulty ECU

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by iNfusi0n View Post
    Today I took the car in and got Ivan at high power racing to take a look.
    Fortunately everything is running good (better than the last engine) however he did point out that my check engine light does not come on when its supposed to (when you put the key in and turn it once).

Anyone know what the problem could be?
    Could have been removed by previous owner or just be blown