Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spark Plugs?

just recently got my 100k service done, i paid $140 from honda for Denso iridium spark plugs and got my mate to install them for me

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    Why not use copper plugs and replace them more frequently?
    Cost of changing plugs every 20k could end up being higher than iridiums lasting 100k.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Hmm you have a valid point aaronng, didn't think of that.

according to my calculations (based on prices i have in my pile of receipts) i paid $26 for copper spark plugs vs $108 the previous owner paid for the iridium plugs.

There is also a higher risk of the spark plugs being fouled for some unforseen circumstances too..
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Cl7 accord euro
    Cheers for all the replies. I am thinking of getting everything and doing it all my self. I just refuse to justify the cost.. My gf's dad has always serviced his own cars as long as he uses the manufacturer parts. So I might look at going down this track. I just cant justify the costs that people want to charge me

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Ice ignition leads.... interesting. Anyone tried them?

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Cost of changing plugs every 20k could end up being higher than iridiums lasting 100k.
    However would you prefer to have fresh plugs every 20k as opposed to fresh plugs every 100k?

Personally I prefer fresh plugs because I go tracking, I assume because this is in the euro forum, it would probably not apply.

You can just take the plugs out every 10 - 20k and regap them accordingly.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by fillit View Post
    However would you prefer to have fresh plugs every 20k as opposed to fresh plugs every 100k?

Personally I prefer fresh plugs because I go tracking, I assume because this is in the euro forum, it would probably not apply.

You can just take the plugs out every 10 - 20k and regap them accordingly.
    With iridium plugs, the electrode does not wear out. Even after going to the track 5 times, the plugs are still good, gapped and not fouled. This is for a stock car of course, if the car was turbo'd and tuned to run richer, then fouling could be a problem and you would then prefer the plugs to be replaced more often.

Another thing which I thought of was the Euro's direct ignition. I'm not sure if direct ignition works at the same efficiency when using a copper plug compared to iridium. It seems that direct ignition gets spec'd with iridium and previous dizzy set up is spec'd with copper plugs.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post
    Ice ignition leads.... interesting. Anyone tried them?
    I am to curious about Ignition leads aswell, as when i bought my spark plugs i was thinking of changing my leads but i couldn't find anything...

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    All K series motors come with coil over plug set up and do not use any form of leads. If you want to upgrade the coilpacks, look to MSD
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by stndrd View Post
    All K series motors come with coil over plug set up and do not use any form of leads. If you want to upgrade the coilpacks, look to MSD
    Thanks, can't seem to find any MSD coil packs that fit accura/honda though. Seems like only GM/Ford.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Damn, and here I thought it would be a cheap upgrade.

http://www.okadaprojects.com/usa/products_direct.htm

$985 for plasma ignition, damn.

use a socket set and change spark plug by youself diy