Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CR-V

Car running cool

Hi guys,

I've got gen1 CRV.

Problem: Car running cool. Have replaced thermostat, also have tested old thermostat and it seems to be working fine.

Story:
    After a while realised that bottom rubber seal on radiator cap was gone. Replaced with new cap, after this pressure in the system came back to normal and 2 bypass hoses in the system 1 by 1 had to be replaced. I also replaced most of other old hoses rather then wait until they start leaking.

As I was in middle of driving both times when it happened car ran up pretty warm probably close to 3/4 of the gauge before I stopped the engine.

After I have replaced all hoses the car has been running cool all the time. Takes about 5 min to warm up if I am standing, never warms up if driving. When driving without load (downhill) sits at the bottom of temperature gauge, whilst driving on highway under load 1/5-1/4 of the gauge.

I though it's thermostat issue and replaced with new one, however didn't make any difference.

Cooling system doesn't have any leaks.
    If I keep on standing fans come on when temperature reaches the normal operating temp, which cools it down to about 1/5-1/4 of the meter.

When driving and temp is right at the bottom of the meter, car feels cold, doesn't grip as well. When it heats up it grips well, but then cools down fairly quickly.

After reading manual seems like the actual temperature sensor for the dashboard is different to the one which kicks off the fans, so they seem to operate fine.

Any ideas what it could be?

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    do the fans turn on when you start the car from cold?

Road's closed pizza boy

sorry had to say it
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Even with the fan rotating. A closed themo stat will stop circulation so it warms up.
    Themo stats stuffed
    Gauge inside the cars stuffed
    Water pump

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Did you bleed your system?
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CR-V
    thank you for replies,

curtis265,

The fans only turn on when the temperature get to normal operating or if I switch on the A/C.

JDM DC2R,

Cool, thanks, will have to have a look at those.

Jasemas,

Didn't bleed it properly straight away. Tried bleeding 2 days ago, got couple of bubbles, but car didn't even warm up for fans to get switched on (was running for 10 min or so). Might try again on the warmer day.
    Though, if system has some air it only should run warmer, not colder? or can be both ways?

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    put in a higher temp thermostat
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by pizza_boy View Post
    thank you for replies,

curtis265,

The fans only turn on when the temperature get to normal operating or if I switch on the A/C.

JDM DC2R,

Cool, thanks, will have to have a look at those.

Jasemas,

Didn't bleed it properly straight away. Tried bleeding 2 days ago, got couple of bubbles, but car didn't even warm up for fans to get switched on (was running for 10 min or so). Might try again on the warmer day.
    Though, if system has some air it only should run warmer, not colder? or can be both ways?
    To bleed the radiator system on a honda.

Park on level surface, and have car cold
    Remove radiator cap from the radiator. Fill the radiator to the top. Also have the reserve bottle half way.
    Turn on the car, put it on the hottest setting and crank the fan

Keep topping up the radiator. The fans must turn on and off at least twice before next step! This may take a long time!!!! About 30 in my crv and a 1hr in my teg with Koyo rad.
    When the fans turns on. the coolent level will drop. Keep the coolent levels at the brim. When the fans stop quickly apply the radiator cap

All done. Just make sure you watch it and dont let the coolent levels drop. As this allows air in the system

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Forgot to include - open the bleed nipple valve above thermostat when filling the coolant
    You should have the cars heat to the hot setting WHILE you pour so the system opens up and circulates
    once radiator coolant flows out of the bleed nipple without bubbles close it...
    Turn on car and rev to 2500rpms until fans come on twice
    When there's heat coming from your vents car is now bled

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasemas View Post
    Forgot to include - open the bleed nipple valve above thermostat when filling the coolant
    You should have the cars heat to the hot setting WHILE you pour so the system opens up and circulates
    once radiator coolant flows out of the bleed nipple without bubbles close it...
    Turn on car and rev to 2500rpms until fans come on twice
    When there's heat coming from your vents car is now bled
    I never used the bleed valve. As the radiator caps the highest point on our hondas. And cranking the heater was mentioned.
    Also even the manual states wait untill the fans turn on and off twice. just waiting for hot air from the fans isn't enough.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasemas View Post
    I didnt disagree about using the bleeder valve. i just said i never had to. And the manual doesnt state you have to either. Noticed how he also mentioned wait for the fans!
    Last edited by JDM DC2R; 01-02-2013 at 03:44 PM. Reason: spelling mistake