Hi all,

I've just bought my 1st Honda after driving Fords for years, and i love it.
I got an auto 94 Accord Exi, done 270,000km. It's in pretty good physical condition aside from squeaky windows and busted speakers...and filthy carpet.
Just before i bought it, it had all fluids and belts replaced, has no leaks, and it came with a RWC (despite having borderline tyres).

Not ever having driven a 4cyl before, nor a Honda, i am not sure how the drive is supposed to feel 'normally'. But i think there is something going on with the transmission.

1) Until i'm in 3rd gear, it really feels like the car struggles to pick up speed. I suppose it's more noticeable when the car is cold, but in general it still seems to struggle.

2) It will occasionally suddenly rev really hard - nearly up to 4K - usually when going from 1st to 2nd gear. It's not all the time, but it's often enough to be annoying. It seems to do it most often when i'm accelerating out of a turn.

3) It's pretty thirsty. Replacing the tyres (on front only so far) and using 98 percent (as opposed to basic unleaded) seems to help. I mostly do commuting in it, but it seems to use the same amount of fuel even if it's freeway driving. Is this normal?

I've had a look through the forums already, and have tried a few suggestions - i've looked at the shift cable, and it looks pretty clean / new-ish. I've also tried an ATF additive that's supposed to help.
I suspect that it's just been filled with crappy non-honda ATF. Is my best bet to just drain it and fill it with the honda stuff?
Or should i just bite the bullet and take it to a Honda place to have them look it over?

Thanks - all help is appreciated!