Threaded View

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1

Unhappy Going crazy... PLEASE help! Timing belt install problems.

have had bent valves replaced. i put the head back on and the cams back in but just cannot get the timing belt to tension correctly. the manual says put cyl1 at tdc, loosen tensioner, rotate anti-clockwise 3 teeth, tighten tensioner.

every time i loosen the tensioner and rotate the crank, the belt starts lifting off the intake cam pulley at the tight spots - ie: opening the valves. if i keep going the belt slips on the intake pulley. it does this with the tensioner bolt loose and/or tight. does it sound like the tensioner is rooted?

rotating the cams quickly feels smooth but doing it slow feels 'grippy'. i lubbed the cams with clean engine oil. should i go get some assembly lube and redo them?

WITHOUTthe belt installed its taking about 30ft/lb to rotate the exhaust cam and 40ft/pb for the intake (sunk2 cams/springs/retainers) would this be normal?

the crank spins pretty freely but takes 50ft/lb to turn it with the belt on.

PLEASE HELP! I'm pulling my hair out here!!! (or would be if i had hair )
    Last edited by kraiye; 10-02-2013 at 02:23 PM.
    FOR SALE: Injector seal kits || Dayco B16A timing belt