Member Array
    Car:
    s2000

Brake Rotor options Cost/function

I did a bit of a search and didnt find any clear 'get to the point' answers so...

Question: When its time to replace your OEM Front rotors what do you go for? recommendations from those with experience would be swell.

OEM, or are there after market options which work as well or better.

In terms of the inevitable question "It depends if you track or not..." Yes my question is based around a street drive-able car which is tracked a handful of times a year.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    cue the RDA vs DBA debate.

You'll have no issues with DBA brakes whatsoever, but you can get RDA's for half the price. They are more than decent for the street. I cannot tell you anything about tracking them though
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    From experience, especially using aggresive pads:

RDA rotors are made from a softer materiel, hence the cheaper price, but they also wear out quicker.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Ozhonda Trader Array
    Car:
    EGK24A
    Are you after OEM replacement or slotted rotors ?
    Are you gonna do track day with it with performance pads ?
    JDMyard Pty Ltd
    25 / 317-321 Woodpark Rd , Smithfield , NSW 2164. Contact : 02 97572364
    Email : yonas@jdmyard.com , Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/JDMYard
    www.JDMyard.com

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    EG5
    Are you after OEM replacement or slotted rotors ?
    From what I've read (and it could be wrong) is that the OEM pads on the AP1 perform fairly well and in terms of track+weekend driving its the best middle ground. So currently the plan is to run the OEM pads. But given that i'm about to fit new pads and the OEM rotors will need replacing soon, i figure do it all in one hit. I'm not fussed about sticking with OEM rotors or aftermarkets, but trying to figure out if slotted are worth it in terms of cost/reward factor. So in essence the question is exactly what you asked, OEM or Slotted?

I do plan on tracking the car (As stated in the original post) but the car wont be a dedicated track car, lets face it the roads needs S2Ks to make 'em look good.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000
    Blank RDA rotors + Project Mu HC+ and you're set
    Imo spending money on stock rotors are a waste of money on a S2K. There's another thread somewhere on it but I cbf digging it up ahha. But hey shops will try to sell otherwise...

They do get a bit dusty though

But hold up pretty well

Ozhonda Trader Array
    Car:
    EGK24A
    We can supply you OEM stock replacement from RDA and OEM Honda Brake pads
    PM for details
    JDMyard Pty Ltd
    25 / 317-321 Woodpark Rd , Smithfield , NSW 2164. Contact : 02 97572364
    Email : yonas@jdmyard.com , Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/JDMYard
    www.JDMyard.com

Member Array
    Car:
    GTR Skyline S2K
    I sell the RDA ones on ebay (performancecarpartsonline) and own a S2000, the new dimple drilled and slotted range are heat tempered and have a gunmetal anodized finish and digitally balanced.

We run them on our V8 ute that does 1000Km a week loaded with over 3-400Kg of rotors, we run them on our 350Kw GTR and in our S2000.

Wear comes down to the pad compound.

As an example with the stock rotors and TRW pads we saw the same life on the RDA rotors....and we beat the shit out of our cars

Bendix Ultimate pads chew out any rotor.

On the street for high performance street driving and track days we run EBC Red Stuff Ceramic Kevlar compound which is rated to 650 degrees, we have white wheels on the S2K and they stay clean, the biggest advantage with the RedStuff compound is long rotor life, if you find one of my adverts for the dimple drilled and slotted range look at my last 2 photos, one is of my V8 after 50,000Km of street track abuse, the last one was of Apexi rotors on my GTR after just a few sprint laps at Winton.

If we wanted to go up a notch and have a higher temp rating there is the EBC Yellow stuff which still works on the street from cold and rated up to 900 degrees, dust is like the OEM pads, we use these pads on our GTR on tight tracks like Winton where we need a higher temp due to the top speed and mass of a GTR under braking, S2K is fine on Reds if driving smoothly, go Yellows if late braking lap after lap.

Rotor wear and braking efficiency is very heavily dependent on pad compounds.
    Last edited by Godzilla; 14-02-2013 at 10:24 PM.