Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EM1

New head gasket... dumped 4L oil on the floor when starting engine. WTF??!!!

Put engine back together today after replacing head gasket with a cometic one and an OEM timing belt. when I fired up the engine it dumped all the oil on the floor.

looks like it came out the back somewhere but i cant see where 'cause oil is just all over everything!

i got one of those thick plastic intake gaskets but would that affect anything that would cause the oil to spurt everywhere?

am guessing an oil hose or vacuum line is wrong but the manual doesn't show these.
    new filter is on and sealing fine. any suggestions?

what could be blocked/loose/missing or not plugged in?
    Last edited by kraiye; 13-02-2013 at 07:06 PM.
    FOR SALE: Injector seal kits || Dayco B16A timing belt

Ozhonda Trader Array
    Did you compare the cometic gasket to the old one?

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    yeah exactly the same. nothing seemed to be blocked.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    loose oil pan?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    EG9
    Not familiar with the head but did you remove any grub screws or welsh plugs? or have a mechanical oil pressure gauge not screwed back into place mabye

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    is there a new oil filter on???

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by kraiye View Post
    Put engine back together today after replacing head gasket with a cometic one and an OEM timing belt. when I fired up the engine it dumped all the oil on the floor.

looks like it came out the back somewhere but i cant see where 'cause oil is just all over everything!

i got one of those thick plastic intake gaskets but would that affect anything that would cause the oil to spurt everywhere?

am guessing an oil hose or vacuum line is wrong but the manual doesn't show these.
    new filter is on and sealing fine. any suggestions?

what could be blocked/loose/missing or not plugged in?
    Quote Originally Posted by IEVAQ8 View Post
    is there a new oil filter on???
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    ctx's dream car
    check the sump plug(screw) maksure its tight and is on properly.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda S15
    Quote Originally Posted by MYEK9 View Post
    check the sump plug(screw) maksure its tight and is on properly.
    If Op knows how to change a head gasket Im sure he knows how to tighten a sump plug properly.

OP was the headgasket and timing belt the only thing you touched? Sounds like you could of simply missed something.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG9
    Quote Originally Posted by DakDak View Post
    If Op knows how to change a head gasket Im sure he knows how to tighten a sump plug properly.

OP was the headgasket and timing belt the only thing you touched? Sounds like you could of simply missed something.
    In another thread he was getting some grief changing it. Easy to miss the small things when youre doing your head in lol

Member Array
    Car:
    RB1 & GTR33V
    Got dibs on Oil cam seal damaged or removed and forgot to put back on..

Try tracing where the oil is dripping or squirted out..
    RB1-ODC

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1
    thanks for the suggestions guys. i've been under the car for hours now and can't see anything! gonna buy more oil tomorrow and get someone to crank it while i watch. thank God I wasn't using royal purple . so far i've narrowed it down to be on the back of the block, lower than the head gasket and on the gearbox side of the oil filter.
    the only thing i know to be there is the oil breather chamber. the top half is empty and i couldn't get it off to check the bottom - rounded the bolt. i swear it's tighter than a crank pulley bolt!! ridiculous!

what does the bottom of this thing do? afaik the top half is basically a catch can for crank case ventilation.

and what is the little black valve looking thing that sticks up on my intake? it's shown in the manual but there's no description or info how to connect the vacuum lines to it - or any of the vacuum lines for that matter!