Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    FN2 Type R

Vtec: Factory settings vs Vtec control

Hey,

I bought my Prelude VTIR recently and it came with a APEXI unit already tuned.

The Apexi neo has a vtec control feature, which had been set to lower RPM. This seemed to create a linear power curve which I found to be fairly responsive and while the VTEC is weak - I didnt have to wait all day for it.

I've recently tried changing back to factory setting in order to compare, found that I got a non-linear curve of power - so at high RPM excellent VTEC kick, but have to wait for it.

I think when I compare them it's basically the same amount of power and response- just different delivery [linear or non linear curve]

Is this accurate?

Basically I guess it depends on what sort of power you'd prefer... I'm leaning towards the factory setting because the high RPM VTEC feels strong and fast.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Type S
    Im guessing theres a reason when hondas get tuned they usually lower the vtec engagment rpm ,not saying this is the case .but with proper tune your fuel and air are altered aswell as the vtec engagment point .But from what i know a vtec controller itself has a negative effect on the car because its factory tuned in a set way .but i could be wrong Iv always prefered a linear power curve to a high Rpm kick.
    Last edited by JUST VTEC; 14-02-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    uh oh

ahve you seen the power curves?

you can't know without a dyno.

What he'd done is have it dynoed on low cams, and then dyno'd on high cams.. The idea vtec point is where the two lines cross obviously. By moving the vtec higher, you're essentially choking the engine past that ideal point, then suddenly releasing it.. So you're actually going slower than what you actually could - do i make sense?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Flying Carpet

:3
    SingleCammerJammer

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    My cars tuned with a apexi neo!. Theres the dyno paper! vtecs lowered by 800rpm. Power curves alot better!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	158.6 KB 
ID:	24110  

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    There we go. Notice jdm dc2r's dip in torque before vtec... The h22 has a similar dip which you are trying to get rid of

Quote Originally Posted by eren View Post

:3
    Tempted to neg...
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek4_cxi_type_R
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM DC2R View Post
    My cars tuned with a apexi neo!. Theres the dyno paper! vtecs lowered by 800rpm. Power curves alot better!
    Hnnnng, tuned by adrian. You lucky lucky guy.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    The Force was stong in him. LOL.. Yer his a great tuner! Alot of poeple were spectacle. And some places refused to tune the apexi neo, when i was getting prices. He got a great curve, great max power. And after the tune ive run in the 13.8s on the quarter a couple of times

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM DC2R View Post
    The Force was stong in him. LOL.. Yer his a great tuner! Alot of poeple were spectacle. And some places refused to tune the apexi neo, when i was getting prices. He got a great curve, great max power. And after the tune ive run in the 13.8s on the quarter a couple of times
    shit, good job bor
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Couple of vids below. If your going to mess with the setting. Right down all the stuff on to your manual section Setting notes page 42. So you can always change them back, if you stuff it up or so.

What else is done though?

Altering the VTEC point I would think is similar to using adjustable cam gears on stock cams. You might gain a little bit but lose something in return. Usually more to lose than gain.
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Light wheels, I/H/E hasport mounts.

At 5800 rpm theres a 15 kws increase. Easy the tune had the biggest benefit over all the other mods.

He said the unit is controlling the vtec and is tuned. So i wouldnt touch it