Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    03' CR-V Sport
    I love Japanese cars for that reason!

I have actually, but I figured that it would be too much of a drainer on petrol.
    What's your experience with it?

Quote Originally Posted by westy View Post
    Yeah I was wondering how poor workmanship would come into the picture when pretty much everything is done by robots!
    They are not mainly assembled by robots. Most of the components are hand assembled, except chassis welding and spray painting. Engine, chassis, doors, etc. and other heavy items use hydraulic lifts/arms and aligned using jigs.

Edit: In fact, not all 100% welding points are done by robots are also. Semi-robots.
    Last edited by kiat; 18-02-2013 at 10:49 AM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    03' CR-V Sport
    Oh fair enough.
    Thank god that doesn't affect me in this situation!

This is what I normally do: Pretend to be a interested customer and test drive a brand new CU2 from the dealers. Bring a friend along so you dont feel awkward

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    03' CR-V Sport
    Haha I've been thinking about doing that for a while! Unfortunately I'm only 20 and have my Green P's. Pretty sure they wouldn't be keen on me driving one of their cars!

Hi there, I think the CU2 Accord Euro is a good choice if you want a practical and relatively cheap sports sedan.

1. Fuel Economy: What's the economy around town like?

It sucks... don't get the auto if you want decent fuel economy in town. I usually see 10+ liters/100 km in slow town traffic, but highway cruising gets 7l/100km or lower. Apparently the manual is better but you'll be shifting early everywhere to get better fuel economy.

2. Sound System

It's pretty good but there's a pronounced midrange and treble kick that makes the system sound harsh. A DSP upgrade and better speakers improves things by a lot, some threads on here on that.

3. Performance, Handling & Steering

We get the lower powered engine and auto with paddle shifts here but for me, it's good enough for plenty of twisty-road grins. The handling is pretty flat and stable on 17" wheels. I think the standard stability control system only intervenes when you're about to crash into a tree... The engine needs to be revved above 5000 rpm to get power and torque but the upside is the fantastic noise it makes. VTEC kicked in yo!!! The steering is a bit light because it's an electrically assisted system - you won't get the feel of a hydraulic setup but you get used to it. Expect more feedback from the tires and suspension than the steering.

4. Back Seat Space & Comfort
    The back seats are really meant for 2 people, the side seats are deeply sculpted so your butt just sinks in there. The middle seat is an afterthought, reserve it for friends you don't like 6-footers might find the legroom a bit cramped unless the front seats are moved up.

5. What's it like compared to the competition?
    I guess it goes against luxury compact sedans like BMW 3's, Merc C's, Lexus IS, Buick Regal, Toyota Reis or Camry. My dream car for this segment is a Lexus IS300 but the Euro is a helluva lot cheaper

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2, GD3
    Owner of 6MT CU2 here for 3+ years. Here's some thoughts

Fuel economy:
    Around city driving expect 11-12L/100KMs. No highways etc just strictly start stop madness!! (My avg speed is 22km/h recently.. slowly switching to public transport + cycling). It does dip down lower with some highways thrown in (about 10L/100kms)
    I found shifting earlier doesn't improve fuel economy that much in my experience. Shifting a bit later is ok.
    Shifting earlier = lugging this 1500KG with no torque = bad fuel economy :P

Sound System:
    I'm no audiophile but the sound is really decent. Listening to alot of radio so SQ doesn't matter as much

Performance and Handling:
    When you want it to vroom it will vroom. Expect to go all the way to 7000 revs to get more go!
    When you see 0-100 times in the ~7.6-8s that's going all out!! When you shift normally expect this car to be a bit slower :P

The weight is really apparent and I feel handling could be more improved. Investigating getting rear sway bar (had one on the CL9 and felt a difference) but not so sure about drilling holes with the Progress 22mm sway bar!! I do feel though it out handles the Holden and Ford sedans but afterwards they catch up with just straight up speed

The 6 speed transmission feels really smooth and really good! Always liked the transmission in the Euro.

Back seat comfort:
    It's bad. The Jazz has way better back seat comfort and better boot space too!! I've sat in the back seat it's enough for some trips but I find the Jazz much more comfortable. Boot space is a bit and not great for IKEA shopping :P It's good enough for 1 60L icebox and some random groceries though. The rear suspension (I assume) affects the boot shape so much

Other thoughts:
    When you compare to other brands, you really come to appreciate the Accord Euro alot. The refinement and what you get competes with the luxurious brands. I think it comes down to a mental thing - people associate the Germans with the luxurious tag and hence even the cheaper base model is already luxurious.

I bought the Accord Euro appreciating the value and really compared to the Germans the equipment it has standard is amazing! Little things like ALL auto windows, when reversing, dipping side mirror, dual climate + rear, auto down and up windows, soft touch plastics, etc

The engine itself produces better power than rivals but fuel economy and torque isn't as great as the "turbos". Compared directly with Japanese competitors, IMO, the Accord Euro comes up on top in nearly all categories! I know anthony always roots for the Euro and looks like I'm going to join him too! The Euro is really a great value car!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    03' CR-V Sport
    This is all valuable information for me. Thanks guys!
    I probably will end up getting an aftermarket Sound System.
    The Euro definitely sounds like the top of the market compared to its Japanese and German Rivals (with what it comes with as standard).
    I don't really want to be fanging it everywhere, but I do like to push the car when you're driving on an engaging road.
    I don't know if I'd bother getting a RSB :P

I'm just keen to take one for a spin! One day...

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Quote Originally Posted by redseven View Post
    Hi there, I think the CU2 Accord Euro is a good choice if you want a practical and relatively cheap sports sedan.

3. Performance, Handling & Steering

We get the lower powered engine and auto with paddle shifts here but for me, it's good enough for plenty of twisty-road grins. The handling is pretty flat and stable on 17" wheels. I think the standard stability control system only intervenes when you're about to crash into a tree... The engine needs to be revved above 5000 rpm to get power and torque but the upside is the fantastic noise it makes. VTEC kicked in yo!!! The steering is a bit light because it's an electrically assisted system - you won't get the feel of a hydraulic setup but you get used to it. Expect more feedback from the tires and suspension than the steering.
    They all come with A K24 engine...
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Jasemas View Post
    They all come with A K24 engine...
    Yes, I don't think the CU2s came in Type R, the Type Rs had K20As.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Quote Originally Posted by fillit View Post
    Yes, I don't think the CU2s came in Type R, the Type Rs had K20As.
    There was a special on GT Channel about the K series (Civic, teg & euro)
    If im not mistaken its not actually a Type R but a Euro-R

And if you are after good fuel economy from a 2.4litre that weighs over 1500kgs dont expect it
    Buy a prius... And that goes for the performance too
    'Its not a 'sports car'
    But more of a sport car (i.e new 86)' - Spoon Director
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    CL7's all came with K20 while CL9's all came with K24. Australia only ever got the Euro with the 2.4ltr engines. Especially with a heavy CU2, I wouldn't want to have a K20 in it.