Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG 4 door sedan

Is something wrong with my VTEC?

Hey all, I'm a complete n00b to the whole Honda world or front wheel drive in general and I've just picked up an EG 4 door sedan VTI model. It's manual, and goes ok for my daily driver.
    One question I had though, is how can I tell my VTEC is actually working properly?
    It doesn't seem to feel like it kicks in through the rev range, even after 5,000rpm+

Is it possible that someone has just slapped the VTEC rocker cover on to a non VTEC SOHC engine, or are they completely different?

Any help to check if my VTEC is function will be muchly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Liam.

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    SOHC vtec doesnt have a kick.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    I feel better power from 4,000 onwards although the 'kick' is around 5,200-5,500. It's more of a continued power delivery IMO. No kick like trism said.

Below 4,000 is terribly weak.

If you wanted to be a vtec fanboy you bought the wrong car.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG 4 door sedan
    Ah cool. Thanks guys. Like I said, I'm a complete n00b to Vtec so had no idea what to expect.
    Just wanted a reliable daily driver.. If I want to go fast I'll go on two wheels thanks

I think the tappets also need adjusting as there's a rattley noise coming from the engine under load at low rpm.. I'll take the valve cover off and check the clearances when I get a chance.. Hopefully this helps the engine run a little nicer and perform a little better.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Failing that just contact 'stndrd' here. He's a registered trader and mechanic.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1, Evo8
    Not sure about this, but wouldn't the "rattley noise" be the engine pinging?
    "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG 4 door sedan
    I was under the impression pinging only happens high in the rev range?
    This is only down low and under load, like if you try accelerating in 3rd gear at 20km/h for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudley View Post
    I was under the impression pinging only happens high in the rev range?
    This is only down low and under load, like if you try accelerating in 3rd gear at 20km/h for example.
    that is like the worst thing you can do in your little 1.6, short of doing the same thing in 4th and 5th respectively.

ping happens for a variety of reasons, low octane fuel being one of the more common.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EG 4 door sedan
    It's not like I do it intentionally, that was just an example. Even if you come to a small hill and aren't loosing speed, revs might sit around 3-4k but under the load of going up a hill it makes a rattley noise.
    I'll get the valve clearances checked just so i know that's not it, and take it from there I think.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EK1, Evo8
    Give us feedback as to how that goes because my Civic pings when going uphill 3rd gear at ~50kmph. And the only real way I found to stop it is to let off the throttle a bit
    "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul"

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by FRK202 View Post
    Give us feedback as to how that goes because my Civic pings when going uphill 3rd gear at ~50kmph. And the only real way I found to stop it is to let off the throttle a bit
    Check the timing and fuel

Check spark plugs, give them a good clean and test it out.
    無限 The Form is in the Function 無限
    teamGROUNDzero

Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b
    if you want to really know, you could ways post up the cost of your engine or just install a pod filter on the end of it. you will notice some sort of intake noise crossover (have done this to many and countless d series vtec engines/cars in my lifetime)
    VTEC+Turbo=dirty underpants