Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic Sedan

Tacho stopped working :-(

Our little ED Civic has had a bit of dementia today when it forgot to make its tacho work. I'm hoping it's a short because it seemed to have happen after I washed the motor this arvo ????? Any pointers will be appreciated !

Also can the tacho be removed from the cluster and be replaced with one from a "donor" ???
    Last edited by EDCivic; 24-02-2013 at 06:14 PM.

check of the dizzy has water in it sometime it cause effect ... other then that pull the cluster out and check the rev counter for dry joins but that offen causes on off problems

sounds like a bad taco

Seriously, if you can find a new cluster, I believe you should be able to plug n play, but it might also be good to diagnose why the old one died so the problem shouldn't reoccur.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic Sedan
    Thanks so far.....could be a coincidental bad joint or to much tobasco ??? I did crack the dizzy and pulled/spray each of the 4 connectors inside but zip (especially the blue lead). We have owned this old classic for aprrox 12 yrs and washed the engine many times with no issues except for now. Since my post I have also taken the back cover off from the instrument cluster and reseated the "big" connector just above the tacho side but again zip ! I doubt if its the coil as it goes like....well a 21 year old Honda i.e pretty dam well for its age !!! Looks like I need to suss out (in Aelaide) U-Pull it and find a pre-loved ED

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic Sedan
    Well the little old Civic has self healed today. First off with a bouncing needle which slowly settled out to where now it's back to normal !!! I'm assuming it was a water issuewhen I cleaned the engine (but really can't see how). Now if only the steering rack stopped weeping oil........

Member Array
    Car:
    EG Civic
    your problem is the grounding bolt more than likely on the thermostat housing is loose or has corrosion, Remove the bolt, check the crimp terminal and clean if needed and re tighten.
    = First Production Company To Produce 100HP Per Litre NA

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic Sedan
    Will try that and see how it goes. This is the Civic we had for approx 14 years and has 375 k's on the clock. Still runs quite well but requires TLC from time to time i.e. thank God for "U-Pull It" here in Adelaide !

Member Array
    Car:
    ctx's dream car
    i had the exact same issue about 2months ago, took it past an auto elec , there is a cable coming from the chassis connecting to the VSS, and sometimes it becomes undone or does not ground. this will be your issue

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic Sedan
    Thanks for your suggestion, but I don't think the ED civic had a VSS ? Perhaps the models after EF maybe etc ?

Member Array
    Car:
    ctx's dream car
    just look underneath the throttlebody or under your air intake, follow the gauges cable from the firewall to underneath their and check every wire is attached

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    ed doesnt have VSS, cable speedo.
    to see all of my build, checkout