Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    85CRX,EGSIR,MR2
    And ill add that Andy called my personally to find out weights and specs of the car and researched the circuits I would be prodomotly using to determin valving and spring rates.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    How much did ur set cost and what was the leadtime for u?

I read on honda tech their pretty good, but i just didnt want to wait for 2 months or so...

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    At the moment its either these or ill just grab a KW from ebay...

What you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by dc5dave View Post
    The teins I used are rubbish
    You have to spend big bucks to get quality teins.
    I had Apexi coilovers on my dc5 which lastest a year and the dampers started leaking and rattling.
    I'm all for AMR
    Can agree on Teins, I find most of the Twintube range [except Flex] to be underdampered...

Which APEX'i coilovers were they? New or used? Also are the roads around your normal travel route really poor?
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    85CRX,EGSIR,MR2
    I had the type-V on the dc5, they were on a mates ep3 for a few months before he sold it. They were brand new when he installed them.
    Yeah the roads are pretty bad and that car was driven pretty hard but I did expect them to hold up a bit better than they did.

Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b
    I'd like to say a few words if I may,

My experience with Andy from AMR myself

Sent him a PM 5am in the morning, he called me back on my mobile from the states, spoke for about an hour had a laugh, he has a right hand drive civic ek coupe si aswell so he is very knowledgable with this specific body and shape.

He asked me a few questions, in regards to what the car will be used for and future usages, I told him car will be turboed and it's an ek9, and told me the waiting period is 3-4 weeks to make them, I said sure that's fine, but I'm in need of a coilover setup ASAP, my car is on jackstands.

He then calls me back next day saying that my coilovers are ready to be shipped and that he asked one of his team members to stay back and fast track my order, I was sooo surprised and very grateful for the help he has given me.

From customer service point of view, simple amazing. It's even better then calling up Optus to enquire about my phone bill!
    He has been there every step of the way and still does contact me on a weekly basis to check up on me. Which is unbelievable!

Would I buy another set off him? Hell yes! You can pay 1.2k for bc br's but they are off shelf coilovers or pay abit extra and get something specifically made to your taste. All coilovers by amr engineering is valves specifically to the spring rates you choose (this means consistent ride and comfort)

When they land on my doorstep ill do a unboxing and full review on them.

If anyone out there is/or looking for a set of coilovers at around 1.5k, pm me or just jump on the website and email them, you'll get a response back pretty quickly

Ps. They use hyperco Japanese springs (very good quality)

Previously I had koni yellows and gc/koni sleeves (twice now) and could never convince myself to like them, rode like rubbish and aren't very friendly
    VTEC+Turbo=dirty underpants

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Good to hear another feedback on the service,seems to have great customer care

and as far as the Koni/GC you would be in the 2% that dislikes them so not sure whats going on there

Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b
    Yeh it's weird, I've always like to try things here and there on my ek9 (since suspension and other parts are easy to come by for such a common car)

The first koni/gc setup I had was on my ef7 crx, they were comfortable, but that's about it, bumps cause it to bottom out, noisy, popped when I go up steep driveways. In the end, it was headache to me, ride was spot on, but the rest became useless.
    Then I went with omni power coilovers, didn't go as low as the koni's buy it was great ! Handled Wvettrr then the
    Koni's .

Then onto my ek9, from oem springs and shocks,
    I bought a mint set of tein mono flexes,they looked good, easy to adjust etc, but the ride was unbearable , was beyond streetable.

Then went to get the koni's again and sleeves and thought I'd give it another try, for people who want comfort (these work without a doubt) but being a half shock and sleeve type of strut, the spring goes u bet loose when your 3 wheeling up a driveway or steep path. Which really bothers me, as you always think in the back of your mind "is it in place? Sitting on the perch correctly? "

I can't comment on the AMR's yet, but if the Evo and wrx forums are heel over toes on these coilovers, I guess then it is worthy of trying.

Remember my car is daily driven and I do drive my parent to and from work, so comfy wise has to by my first priority

Quote Originally Posted by dc5dave View Post
    I had the type-V on the dc5, they were on a mates ep3 for a few months before he sold it. They were brand new when he installed them.
    Yeah the roads are pretty bad and that car was driven pretty hard but I did expect them to hold up a bit better than they did.
    Hmmm, it is a bit unusual for them to wear out that quickly tbh... I'm assuming your set was the N1 Expert V [ExV] not the older Apex'i coilovers. There are many factors to accelerate wearing of parts though such as road condition, excessive lowering, excessive stiffened of damper settings, etc. Shame you didn't have a good experience with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon-Accord View Post
    Yeh it's weird, I've always like to try things here and there on my ek9 (since suspension and other parts are easy to come by for such a common car)

The first koni/gc setup I had was on my ef7 crx, they were comfortable, but that's about it, bumps cause it to bottom out, noisy, popped when I go up steep driveways. In the end, it was headache to me, ride was spot on, but the rest became useless.
    Then I went with omni power coilovers, didn't go as low as the koni's buy it was great ! Handled Wvettrr then the Koni's .

Then onto my ek9, from oem springs and shocks,
    I bought a mint set of tein mono flexes,they looked good, easy to adjust etc, but the ride was unbearable , was beyond streetable.

Then went to get the koni's again and sleeves and thought I'd give it another try, for people who want comfort (these work without a doubt) but being a half shock and sleeve type of strut, the spring goes u bet loose when your 3 wheeling up a driveway or steep path. Which really bothers me, as you always think in the back of your mind "is it in place? Sitting on the perch correctly? "

I can't comment on the AMR's yet, but if the Evo and wrx forums are heel over toes on these coilovers, I guess then it is worthy of trying.

Remember my car is daily driven and I do drive my parent to and from work, so comfy wise has to by my first priority
    It sounds like the springs didn't match the shocks or the settings [height & damper] weren't quite set right?
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    datsun 200b
    I'm not sure what it was, but ill never go with a shock/sleeve setup again

It's just a hassle and when compared to like a set of bc's or even AMR's coilovers, it's worth that extra bit of money.
    If you want a near stock comfy ride =koni's (downside is they do go that low, and if you do you'll be killing the bumpstops)

I just can't wait till the AmR's arrive, only best thing I'm looking forward to ATM

Member Array
    Car:
    FD1-RR 2.7
    Hey dc5dave Im keen to upgrade to coilovers at some stage this year and those AMR certainly sound like a jice package, do you run em of the softest setting on the street ? Id be keen to check em out, r you doing the Nats this year, or are you doing any track days shortly ? Weather permitting I ll be heading down to Wakefield on the 12th to test my turbo. Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    '88 Civic GL
    After seeing this thread and looking into the AMR coilovers a bit more I have decided to give them a go too for my EK9. Was tossing up between these or the KW coilovers which I also run on my dedicated track ED, but after hearing nothing but good things I decided to bite the bullet and give them a go.

Like what Spoon-Accord said, Andy is great to deal with and very knowedgeable with Civics (as he owns one too). Got a call from him not too soon after the email and he went through everything I have done to the car and what I will be using it for. He came back with some spring rates, which I asked to be softened up a bit coz I drive pretty easy on the roads and after something comfortable, which he was happy to do. Only slight issue is timeframe, which at the moment stands about 3 weeks to be built but could blow out to 5-6 weeks depending on if he has parts in stock, but said he is putting stuff aside for me so hopefully will be about 3 weeks. So means the civic might be sitting on jackstands for a while or I'll install the OEM gear back in for the time being. But to get a decent set of coilovers it's worth the wait, one thing I have learnt is a bad quality shock is horrible to ride on...which most coilovers are like these days unless you fork out major $$.

Once they come in and I get them on the car will provide a bit more feedback into it all. Used a few different coilover setups over my lifetime, so will be good to see how they compare.
    Last edited by ekslut; 06-03-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    Check out my ED Civic progress here: http://edcivicracecar.blogspot.com.au/