Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTI-S

Gearshift trim removal GE

OK this is going to be a noob question, i've rebuilt engines, gearboxes, brakes etc, everything but how the frig do you get the trim around the gearshift out lol
    I bought a new gaiter for the wife's GE Jazz and all the other cars i've replaced them on the trim just clips straight out, this doesn't seem to want to!

Member Array
    Car:
    NondaRalliJuzz
    not sure on GEs but on my GD you remove the centre console with the 2 pushpins in the foot well up front and 2 screws in back foot well. remove the handbrake trim cover and pull the console straight off (watch out for the cigarette lighter cable). then you should have access to the shift boot from underneath. think its a few screws and maybe a couple of tabs you bend to remove it.

sorry if i'm no help at all as i've done this on my GD3 lots of times but have no experience with GEs.

edit: just saw you're in Melb, if you want a hand let me know.

S P A M|W O R K S

Like A Sir

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTI-S
    Thanks mate, found a pic of a GE one and it's the same as the GD one (except four screws instead of three) so console has to come out. Thanks for the offer but i'm good pulling it out, was just hoping i didn't have to!

Member Array
    Car:
    Jazz VTI-S
    Update on this... yes you need to remove the entire centre console on the GE to remove the gearbox trim. One bolt at the back of the console, two screw clips at the front (one either side) and a press in clip in the middle that pops out if you lift the console from the rear. Not too complicated. From there the gearshift trim has 4 screws to undo to remove it. If you are replacing the gearstick gaiter like i was you then need to use a small screwdriver to remove the 20 or so staples (overkill?!) holding the vinyl to the trim piece, fit you new gaiter and stick or restaple it into place before reassembling.

Turned out very well. *note it actually has a Type R gearknob but the with the bright sunlight the camera can't deal so it looks like a cue ball!

Member Array
    Car:
    NondaRalliJuzz
    look nice man, congrats

S P A M|W O R K S

Like A Sir