Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Euro CL9 & CU2

CL9 - Says you can use Ethanol Blend fuel - WTF?? Anyone tried it???

So in the instruction manual and on the fuel hatch door it says that you can use the E10 Ethanol blend fuel.

Now let me just say first that I've only owned my CL9 for 3 months and I've never put anything less than Unleaded-95 in it and I don't intend to use the Ethanol blend. But I was wondering if anyone has? Any difference in fuel economy and power? (I presume there would be less)... Would it be worse for the engine?

Cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    I know it doesn't really make it clear in the manual, but the car can accept E10 for emergency use. Preferably, you would fill up with E10 only at places that only offer E10 (for whatever reason), then go back to 95+ when you get the chance to. You can run E10, but since the car was tuned for 95+, you may experience pinging, loss of power and a decrease in economy. I would suggest against it simply because you want the most out of your motor.

A lot of cars with a need for premium fuels also say it's E10 compatible. Again, it's mainly to get you out of trouble. The FN2 also says this but I wouldn't put any of it in there unless it's an emergency! And even then, I would only put enough to get to the next filling station because I'm a paranoid git.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    I've used E10 a few times at places that didn't have premium (or pumps stopped working for some reason). As far as I can tell, it performs just like on 95 performance wise, but you do lose a bit of fuel economy, although I don't have exact figures as I haven't tried it a few times in a row to test it out.

Quote Originally Posted by androo View Post
    I know it doesn't really make it clear in the manual, but the car can accept E10 for emergency use. Preferably, you would fill up with E10 only at places that only offer E10 (for whatever reason), then go back to 95+ when you get the chance to. You can run E10, but since the car was tuned for 95+, you may experience pinging, loss of power and a decrease in economy. I would suggest against it simply because you want the most out of your motor.

A lot of cars with a need for premium fuels also say it's E10 compatible. Again, it's mainly to get you out of trouble. The FN2 also says this but I wouldn't put any of it in there unless it's an emergency! And even then, I would only put enough to get to the next filling station because I'm a paranoid git.
    I disagree with Androo, actually I reckon this baseless and lies conducted through his own prejudice. E10 isn't for emergency use. If it was, they wouldn't even advertise it on the fuel filler cap. I mean you might as well use 91 if it were an emergency. E10 used to be bad because ethanol would burn through rubber. New cars don't have the rubber seals in the fuel lines. Actually most cars made in the past 20 years are ok with E10.

Increase chances of ping and lose power? In the Euro? Seriously? E10 has a RON of 95 just like "premium" 95 petrol. Do you know what Octane even stands for? Heck, Shells 100 octane (don't sell it here anymore) and United Petrol 100 RON use 5% ethanol. The octane rating is basically how resistant the fuel is to ignition. What this means is that the engines can run leaner and/or higher compression meaning more torque/power and better economy.

Running 91 on the other hand, would be bad. However, because the Euro's have sensors which measure the quality of the fuel, it can tell when it's running 95, 98 or 91. And when it detects the RON falls below 95, it runs a richer A/F ratio to prevent the engine for going bang.

Just in case you didn't know, A/F stands for Air Fuel Ratio. The golden ratio is 14.7:1 meaning 14.7 litres of air to 1 litre of fuel. The optimal ratio for cars though, is 12.5:1. Cars are normally tuned to run rich, which basically means a lower ration e.g. 9:1, as they would use the fuel as a coolant as well to cool the bores of the engine, as well as preventing early combustion or engine going bang in laymen terms. As mentioned, the Euro's have sensors built in, so with 91, it maybe running 9:1, with E10 or 95, it maybe running 10:1, and with 98+ it maybe running 10.5:1. Which is why fuel economy and power changes with the Euro. Do note that some other cars don't have the sensor in them, so they will perform the same regardless.

Fuel economy is worse with E10 because Ethanol has a lower energy than Petrol (KJ/L). In E10, I think the difference is 5% which is why the fuel economy drops by 3-5%. Has nothing to do with power or how the engine runs though.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    blaahhh
    Last edited by Chr1s; 27-02-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: i replied in a manner rude, ill reply later.

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post
    I've used E10 a few times at places that didn't have premium (or pumps stopped working for some reason). As far as I can tell, it performs just like on 95 performance wise, but you do lose a bit of fuel economy, although I don't have exact figures as I haven't tried it a few times in a row to test it out.

I disagree with Androo, actually I reckon this baseless and lies conducted through his own prejudice. E10 isn't for emergency use. If it was, they wouldn't even advertise it on the fuel filler cap. I mean you might as well use 91 if it were an emergency. E10 used to be bad because ethanol would burn through rubber. New cars don't have the rubber seals in the fuel lines. Actually most cars made in the past 20 years are ok with E10.

Increase chances of ping and lose power? In the Euro? Seriously? E10 has a RON of 95 just like "premium" 95 petrol. Do you know what Octane even stands for? Heck, Shells 100 octane (don't sell it here anymore) and United Petrol 100 RON use 5% ethanol. The octane rating is basically how resistant the fuel is to ignition. What this means is that the engines can run leaner and/or higher compression meaning more torque/power and better economy.

Running 91 on the other hand, would be bad. However, because the Euro's have sensors which measure the quality of the fuel, it can tell when it's running 95, 98 or 91. And when it detects the RON falls below 95, it runs a richer A/F ratio to prevent the engine for going bang.

Just in case you didn't know, A/F stands for Air Fuel Ratio. The golden ratio is 14.7:1 meaning 14.7 litres of air to 1 litre of fuel. The optimal ratio for cars though, is 12.5:1. Cars are normally tuned to run rich, which basically means a lower ration e.g. 9:1, as they would use the fuel as a coolant as well to cool the bores of the engine, as well as preventing early combustion or engine going bang in laymen terms. As mentioned, the Euro's have sensors built in, so with 91, it maybe running 9:1, with E10 or 95, it maybe running 10:1, and with 98+ it maybe running 10.5:1. Which is why fuel economy and power changes with the Euro. Do note that some other cars don't have the sensor in them, so they will perform the same regardless.

Fuel economy is worse with E10 because Ethanol has a lower energy than Petrol (KJ/L). In E10, I think the difference is 5% which is why the fuel economy drops by 3-5%. Has nothing to do with power or how the engine runs though.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ChaosMaster again.
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    Ok sorry gents,

In all honesty, the fuel cap label for the CL9 clearly states "suitable for e10" or whatever it says, Honda would not put this there if it was not suitable or would cause damage. Of course they "suggest" 95+ RON, they are trying to compete with the european market which all follow that suit. They should of brought the diesel in to be honest.. anyway;

The K24A2 utilises knock sensors, not octane rating sensors, nor does it increase the amount of fuel going into the engine when knock is detected, it retards timing at a certain rate until the knock level has reduced below a certain level, then begins to reinstate timing again. You may lose economy this way by then putting your foot down more to make up for the lack of torque from the reduced timing.

Stoichiometric ratio for gasoline is 14.7:1 - not all fuels, just to be clear. There is no optimal ratio for cars, it has been observed that the power output of gasoline is highest at 12.8:1 or so, but in reality, each engine demands a different ratio - I've seen engines chug down in the 11's and make maximum power there - this has nothing to do with the fuel, but the engine characteristic (cams, worn, etc). Yeah, if our engine was running 10 or 9:1, we would like the typical skyline on boost, lots of black smoke

NRMA states that E10 is fine for cars from 1990+ I think. You know what, I ran E10 everyday in my breeze civic and my EK civic, NEVER EVER EVER had a problem in years. I even replaced filters and didn't see anything strange in them.

Member Array
    Car:
    '06 Euro Std 5A
    Many servos will sell premium fuel that is also an E10 blend. E10 is not the same as 91RON.
    '06 Accord Euro Std
    Stock standard =|

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro & CRV

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Many servos will sell premium fuel that is also an E10 blend. E10 is not the same as 91RON.
    You are correct...
    E10 is not the same as 91RON...
    E10 has an octane rating of 95+RON...
    I have used E10 in my Euro on and off for years, never had a single issue...
    As has been said, if Honda say u can use it, u can use it....

Member Array
    Car:
    K20 nugget
    Sorry I got some peoples panties in a tangle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmt79 View Post
    So in the instruction manual and on the fuel hatch door it says that you can use the E10 Ethanol blend fuel.

Now let me just say first that I've only owned my CL9 for 3 months and I've never put anything less than Unleaded-95 in it and I don't intend to use the Ethanol blend. But I was wondering if anyone has? Any difference in fuel economy and power? (I presume there would be less)... Would it be worse for the engine?

Cheers
    I was assuming the OP was talking about standard 91 octane E10. I don't know where you guys are getting 'E10 has 95 octane.' Shell makes a guarantee that their E10 has a minimum of 94 octane, and United guarantees 95, however the rest guarantee 91+.

Sure, E10 has a higher octane value than normal 91 unleaded, however maybe it's just me but I rather my car get the 95+ like the manufacturer recommends, over a non guaranteed 93-94 (94 for Shell anyway).

If they made 95 + E10, I would be more than happy to run it but to my knowledge this is not widely available (at least on all the roads I drive on), hence the assumption the OP is talking about 91 E10.

I would not be happy running 91 E10. Your cars though guys so do with it what you will. Just don't critisize me for a simple misunderstanding. You guys are the ones providing false guarantees that 91 E10 = 95+ octane. If the suppliers/manufacturers don't claim over 95 octane, I don't know how you guys can :S

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Know the United 100octane? Thats an ethanol blend afaik.

Its 98RON with ethanol to bring it up over 100.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by androo View Post
    Sorry I got some peoples panties in a tangle.

I was assuming the OP was talking about standard 91 octane E10. I don't know where you guys are getting 'E10 has 95 octane.' Shell makes a guarantee that their E10 has a minimum of 94 octane, and United guarantees 95, however the rest guarantee 91+.

Sure, E10 has a higher octane value than normal 91 unleaded, however maybe it's just me but I rather my car get the 95+ like the manufacturer recommends, over a non guaranteed 93-94 (94 for Shell anyway).

If they made 95 + E10, I would be more than happy to run it but to my knowledge this is not widely available (at least on all the roads I drive on), hence the assumption the OP is talking about 91 E10.

I would not be happy running 91 E10. Your cars though guys so do with it what you will. Just don't critisize me for a simple misunderstanding. You guys are the ones providing false guarantees that 91 E10 = 95+ octane. If the suppliers/manufacturers don't claim over 95 octane, I don't know how you guys can :S
    I've never seen E10 with an octane (RON) of 91. Especially since the RON of pure Ethanol is 113 which is much higher than petrol. What's more, I believe Australian Standard and Requirements require ULP, which is regular unleaded petrol, is 91 RON. How would mixing a higher RON liquid with a 91 RON fuel while keeping it the same, I've no idea how that works. It's like saying, you have half a tank of 105 RON racing fuel, and fill the other half tank with 91 RON ULP, the resulting fuel would be of 98 RON, not 91 RON. The lowest I've ever seen E10 rated is 94 RON. Again, if you know a company selling 91 RON, please tell me.

94 RON maybe 1 below 95 RON but I wouldn't be too concerned. As I mentioned, while Ethanol may have a higher octane property than petrol, it's energy content is lower. What this means is that more is required to generate the same "bang" as petrol. Which is why using Ethanol may result in producing more power, but also results in higher fuel consumption. One thing you may want to note, as mentioned in my earlier post, the K24 will change it's compression (or a:f as it's linked) to match that of the fuel, and prevent knock. With E10, the engine will put more fuel in (or run lower ratio), meaning that even though E10 has a lower RON, the extra fuel would prevent any knock/ping anyways.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post
    I've never seen E10 with an octane (RON) of 91. Especially since the RON of pure Ethanol is 113 which is much higher than petrol. What's more, I believe Australian Standard and Requirements require ULP, which is regular unleaded petrol, is 91 RON. How would mixing a higher RON liquid with a 91 RON fuel while keeping it the same, I've no idea how that works. It's like saying, you have half a tank of 105 RON racing fuel, and fill the other half tank with 91 RON ULP, the resulting fuel would be of 98 RON, not 91 RON. The lowest I've ever seen E10 rated is 94 RON. Again, if you know a company selling 91 RON, please tell me.
    Thats because you're in Melbourne dude..... a lot of politics around Ethanol.

BP E10 in NSW is only 91.
    Caltex E10 in NSW also 91 (also QLD)

88 Octane +10% ethanol = 91.

You've made the assumption that the petrol refineries only refine 91 then add 10%.

They don't. Some refineries refine the petrol to 88 octane then add ethanol to boost it to 91. it's cheaper to make than 91octane +e10 to 94/5. Also, because of the volatility of Ethanol blended fuel... they cant all guarantee it'll still be 94.5 octane when you pick up the pump even for those 91+10% folks.....

You cant argue with physics, all addictive being equal E10 fuel also has less energy content than pure petrol, your fuel consumption would go up.

Even by NSW government (who made E10 compulsory in NSW in replacement of 91), then themselves concurred that E10 will increase the fuel consumption by almost 3%.

Also, ethanol has WATER, for every 60 litres of E10, there is 300ml (a glass full) of H2O in the fuel tank. What's worse, the mixture actually absorbs moisture, so it dilutes the fuel and makes the liquid MUCH more volatile and prone to contamination.........

Water contamination and/or phase separation will lower the octane of E10 by 3 to 4 points. Which is why you read all over the place that ethanol fuel blends expire after 90 days and may expire even sooner after exposure to moisture.
    Last edited by Fredoops; 20-03-2013 at 07:10 PM.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars