Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    IMO read what i said above.

I would take all his details , tell your insurer and let them take care of everything. Dont think about taking the guys money and pocketing it.
    Settlement out of insurance is a legal practice and is often suggested by insurers, if the cost of repairing it is less than excess + hike in premium it certainly is a worthwhile endeavor.

Also if you are on 3rd party, even with all their details, they still will not start a case until the party at fault lodges a claim.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by charliebrown View Post
    Why not? If you can get the quoted amount and fix it yourself for cheaper (or not fix it at all) and other bloke doesn't have to make a claim, win win?

My dad got T boned in rear drivers door, he went and told his insurance, had to go get a quote and fixed. Panel beaters said he should have pocketed the money or at least not go through insurance cos the cars not worth fixing and still drivable
    While I think it's clever, I would consider it unethical and somethinig that shouldn't be spoken about on a public forum
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Looking around $500-$600
    Panel will be replaced and parts underneath fixed
    Painted to match car

Or you could find a Honda wrecker
    Buy the fender and spend an afternoon with your car
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasemas View Post
    Or you could find a Honda wrecker
    Buy the fender and spend an afternoon with your car
    this.

also have unchained melody playing on repeat.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    CL9 Euro, Evo 8
    Probably around $350 - $600 to fix that.

Quote Originally Posted by fillit View Post
    Settlement out of insurance is a legal practice and is often suggested by insurers, if the cost of repairing it is less than excess + hike in premium it certainly is a worthwhile endeavor.

Also if you are on 3rd party, even with all their details, they still will not start a case until the party at fault lodges a claim.
    You missed my point

It's a good chance the OP is asking for a price to fix - then hitting up the bloke who hit him for the cash - with no intention of repairing it. Dodgy.

Move to How Much/Where to buy section ?
    EG

bit of an update...his insurance company called me today to say somebody will come out to inspect the car on the weekend. Guy that hit me admitted to reversing into me in the car park so its all ok..

Member Array
    Car:
    06 DC5 Lux AUTO
    glad it worked out bud
    -----
    Selling my Black EK in VIC cheap! Click here.

Don't hate. Educate.

Member Array
    Car:
    CRX
    Quote Originally Posted by akelly View Post
    bit of an update...his insurance company called me today to say somebody will come out to inspect the car on the weekend. Guy that hit me admitted to reversing into me in the car park so its all ok..
    Days of our lives .....

Quote Originally Posted by bennjamin View Post
    You missed my point

It's a good chance the OP is asking for a price to fix - then hitting up the bloke who hit him for the cash - with no intention of repairing it. Dodgy.
    It's still a legal practice (whether it's ethical is arguable), you may settle that you have caused x amount of damage and assign a monetary value. So long as both parties agree the case will be settled by person a giving person b x amount of money then it's perfectly legal. Regardless of whether the damage is fixed or not.

feel sorry for the next bloke who "damages" the existing damage. how do you determine who shares cost of what damage. its not like you can ask the panel/bumper and check whether the damage was there prior.