Member Array
    Car:
    1998 200sx S14

What to look for in an EK4

Hey guys just after some quick info and general tips on what to look for when inspecting a 95 civic Vti-r hatch back. Tried using the search button but most of what i found was comparing a EK4 to an EK9.

Apart from the obvious b16a engine, sunroof, rear disc brakes and VIN plate for matching identification is there anything that really stands out and noticeable that i should be looking for? also any major components i should inspect? Will check belts, coolant, exhaust smoke, Vtec engagement etc.

Also what do you guys believe is the average Kms for cars of this age (Im thinking it would be around 170-200,000 by now) and what pricing may be acceptable. Keen to get into the honda family even though i own a nissan

Any info or advice would be great.
    Cheers,
    FenrirWC

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    as long as the vin stamped into the firewall says ek4 in it, and its got a b16, youre sweet, dont be too worried about other identifiers.

As for condition of the vehicle, like anything really, check service book, ask for service receipts if any, check fluid levels and condition etc etc etc.

As for km, the avergae Aussie car does 20k a year. that means that 360k is "average"

170-200 is between 9500 and 11000km a year, which tbh is on the low side for a non city car. So if you can find one with those km, jump on it.
    to see all of my build, checkout

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 200sx S14
    So there is nothing major that i should be looking for? apart from matching VIN Plates, sunroof and B16a engine?

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Look for the common B-series oil leaks. Head gasket, cam deal and vtec solenoid.

Cracked engine mounts are also common.

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWC View Post
    So there is nothing major that i should be looking for? apart from matching VIN Plates, sunroof and B16a engine?
    rank odors on rear seats
    funky crinkly hair under front seats

S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG8 B16A2
    I bought a wrecked one sight unseen, not even 100% sure it was an EK4 for $350. Engine was bang on 172xxxks, and I'd say for your average car thats good with low 200s being still acceptable.

Another common small oil leak can be the sump gasket, so have a peek. Check for cracked engine mounts, and if its running aftermarket harder mounts, check the transmission case for cracks.

They're pretty solid engines, but not quite as robust as a sohc d series. I can't comment much on body things to look for as mine was well and truly cooked (had been rolled)

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 200sx S14
    Thanks for the advise guys and that was a funny MCM ep Ill be sure to check for funky smells and pubic hairs in the boot

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4
    The interior is black with a weird hatchy blue, maroon middle bits
    The tachometer should have a redline of 7400 or 8k rpm or so, vtec engages around 5400
    The wheels are a curved 5 spoke
    So long as it has a solid service history you should be right.
    Green and Gold Ghetto EK4
    OEM Front Lip, Ghetto Special CAI, ASR Brace, ITR Rear Sway, N+ Coilovers, X-Force Headers and TL Muffler, Custom B Pipe, type-r rear lip, OEM visors

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Another thing to look at will be the rear trailing arm bushes & swaybar link bushes.

Also check that the engine number is the same as on the rego sticker.

Lastly would be checking for grinding or crunching when changing gears, particually 3rd & 4th, along with listening for an input shaft bearing (the humming noise will go away when you press the clutch pedal in)
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    1998 200sx S14
    fair enough thanks for the tips guys off to look at a one today. also What do you guys recon the average price would be for 195,xxx kms and 5 months rego (assuming everything is stock and in good condition been told the build date is 1995. looked on gumtree,carsales etc and prices seem to vary from $4,500 through to 8g

Edit: Took the car for a run today and was very impressed could not pick a fault with the car at all. don't know what it is about the b16a engine but damn that thing revs. I usually dont go over 6k rpm in the s14 but i was quite shocked by how punchy the lil civic was, and that vtec noise ha ha. if all works out i might just be a lil more active on this forum
    Last edited by FenrirWC; 05-03-2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Took a ek4 for a test drive.