Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

cheap ebay short shifters... any good? (ED Civic)

hey guys.

are these ebay short shifters any good? would be for a '90 ED 5spd

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-CIV...ht_3168wt_1165

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    $43 from Malaysia. I wouldn't be counting on it.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    realisticly not many enjoy day to day use of a short shifter, they tend to make gear changes more clunky and shifting becomes more difficult as they theororetical gains by reduced throw are lost by needing to put more force into the change because of the shorter fulcrum and there for loss of mechanical advantage.
    Mate my bbk cost more than your Honda.
    -Amant02

Quote Originally Posted by ivseenwars View Post
    $43 from Malaysia. I wouldn't be counting on it.
    i know exactly what you mean. ordinarily i wouldnt consider something so nasty but theres not much to go wrong with something so simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveho1 View Post
    realisticly not many enjoy day to day use of a short shifter, they tend to make gear changes more clunky and shifting becomes more difficult as they theororetical gains by reduced throw are lost by needing to put more force into the change because of the shorter fulcrum and there for loss of mechanical advantage.
    i shouldve mentioned, im going to get a taller shift knob (mugen) and maybe a shift extension (2"?).
    plus its 5mins work to change.

Avoid the aluminium ones. They snap.

Short shifts are fine for day to day use.

Simply adding a taller shift kknob / extension without a short shift will elongate the throw
    MFactory Competition Products

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    are these short shifter simply just shorten the gear stick like the picture below?

if the distance between the ball joint to the bottom is the same, the short shifter only shorten the throw by reducing the length of the stick, and you gonna add a 2" extender will defend the purpose.

get a proper short shifter which lengthen the distance between the ball joint to the bottom where the gear linkage attach to
    connorling, your profile and evidenced by your post tells me alot about what type of feral you are..... all class 'hay'!!!! ps. not your m8....

thanks but im asking about a product not the philosophy behind short shifters

i understand how and why a short throw shifter would and wouldnt work. just asking about cheap ebay ones because i feel the honda community is synonimous with cheap/nasty.
    otherwise the skunk2 one looks good but is 3x the price.

i was planning to buy for my eg from ebay..someone selling for $15..thankgod i drove an ek with a short shifter..i won't go for it any more..

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    Quote Originally Posted by jawbreaker View Post
    thanks but im asking about a product not the philosophy behind short shifters

i understand how and why a short throw shifter would and wouldnt work. just asking about cheap ebay ones because i feel the honda community is synonimous with cheap/nasty.
    otherwise the skunk2 one looks good but is 3x the price.

LOL?
    get cheap sh!t ebay one then? since you drive a honda?
    connorling, your profile and evidenced by your post tells me alot about what type of feral you are..... all class 'hay'!!!! ps. not your m8....

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    as long as its steel and not alloy as stated above then will be fine

only problem that sometimes occurs is due to being longer from the pivot ball,sometimes they hit the exhaust heatshield below and rattle

Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec
    someone correct me i im wrong, but i read somewhere they can stuff up your synchros? purely because it effects the way the gears engage.. not necassarily an ebay one, but short shifters in general?

that being said, i have one in my pulsar and its probably the best mod ive done (besides a t28 :P) it gives the car a nice raw, sporty feeling!