Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Car Battery Replacement?

Hi all,

Looks like its time for me to replace my car battery, however, since ive never bought one before and i have no idea what i'm looking for when it comes to a battery :S, thought id ask for any suggestions?

Car: Honda Civic VI 2001 EU3.

Currently running an amp sub speaker setup if that matters, nothing major.

Ive had a look at like Century and Exides site and they had suggestions, but yeah i don't know what i'm even looking for any tips would be much appreciated!

Member Array
    Car:
    RB1 & GTR33V
    The oem battery on small to medium cars are small. Generally only around the 280-380cc.

Since your running an amp, and prob a few LED globes ad possibly a few gadgets.

Go to supercheap or something and buy yourself a 380-480cc maintenance free with indicator battery.

Be prepared to spend around $120+ for a decent size/cc battery.

Just make sure the positive and negative points and location will fit your existing terminals.

Make sure the battery u buy fits within the cavity location of your existing battery.
    RB1-ODC

So as long as the battery fits in the cavity with the correct positions for the terminals, a larger cc amps battery wont really have any adverse effects on my car? sounds good to me cheers.

Whats this maintenance free thing about them? cant seem to find it listed on the details from sellers.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    gennerally battery companys wont offer warranty on batterys not recomended for the given car. the recomendations are there for that reason, companys like century have only a few case sizes but 3 or so quality levels within those case sizes. so for a EG/dc2 for example the case is an ns60 but they recomend an ns60ls (for terminal configuration) and that would be a 2 year warranty job but say you opt for an ns60lsx (donno if they even make one anymore) theres an extra 30-60cca and another $50 or so but its also an extra years warranty.
    Last edited by Daveho1; 06-03-2013 at 05:05 AM.
    Mate my bbk cost more than your Honda.
    -Amant02

Battery World use to give you some money for trading in your old battery, costing you less for the new battery + a safe and legal way of disposing of your old battery! I know SCA also run this promotion sometimes too.
    EG

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Battery worlds a rip. even with cash in on old battery. Pritty much. Jump start or clutch start the car. Drive to repco or supercheap. Remove battery walk in with it and compare to whats on the shelfs. Same diamter and post in same location the right way round. Done.

Thanks for all the help so far .

However i am now even more confused then ever, went Kmart auto and tyre to check it out.
    the exide site suggested me this battery for my car:
    http://www.exide.com.au/battery-rang...uck/extra/x60d

however i told the guy im running an amp and sub, nothing major and he suggested i get this instead:
    http://www.exide.com.au/battery-rang...uck/extra/x40d

...how does this make sense, from the specs, the site suggestion one seems to be stronger, so...am i reading something wrong?.

Member Array
    Car:
    RB1 & GTR33V
    Dude **** exides man.. They are ripp offs. Plus the dude is advising u to buy a 330cca to suit your applications (amps/sub) compared to the 380cca ? Lolwut!!

Hes suppose to know his products /electrical background.. Fml!

Bro.. Just go to SCA and buy the biggest and highest CCA battery that can fit on your battery tray ad just make sure the terminals are in the right locations and thinkness.

FTW (**** the world)
    RB1-ODC

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rage King View Post
    Dude **** exides man.. They are ripp offs. Plus the dude is advising u to buy a 330cca to suit your applications (amps/sub) compared to the 380cca ? Lolwut!!

Hes suppose to know his products /electrical background.. Fml!

Bro.. Just go to SCA and buy the biggest and highest CCA battery that can fit on your battery tray ad just make sure the terminals are in the right locations and thinkness.

FTW (**** the world)
    cool yourself charlie murphy

my exide has lastest longer than the previous high capacity "performance" odyssey I had in the same application..

this doesnt speak for every case but at least gives some insight

Member Array
    Car:
    RB1 & GTR33V
    Sorry bossing.. ****en crazy day at work today.. Lol

Just personal preferences and experiences i guess.

Just google/yahoo/netscape/mozilla/firefox/wiki for futher research.
    RB1-ODC

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Well if you want to get technical. If your only ever using the sound system while the car is running. No matter how big the battery is it wont make a difference. Its all about the alternator!!

Maintenance free battery. means its 100% sealed. no adding water extra. Its a gel battery and generally have a longer life!

To add all a battery does when a car is running is stabilizer the voltage.

So as i said go to the shop. Pick out one exactly the same. And choice what quality you want. Depending on how much u wanna blow. I always get the cheapest as they still last 2-3 years!!!!!

Member Array
    Car:
    RB1 & GTR33V
    ^^close enough

Defined technical terms;

When the engine is off. The battery provides power to the starter/lighting/ignition(SLI).

When the engine is running, the alternator provides the power to all the electrics in the car and the battery is not used but rather kept charged.

The power is generated using the engine power. Which alternates the current from Ac to Dc power. Hence why its called an alternator.

The higher the CCA allows a stronger SLI with the engine off. So this means the starter/ignition will have a better crank/spark to start your car when cold.

All great responses from the members here... That should help you with a better understanding of what a battery is and what to buy in terms of your shopping around.

good luck bud ...
    RB1-ODC