Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Engine feels stronger after lots of revs?

This is weird. Previously I'd been doing mainly town driving so the engine hasn't been revved much into VTEC territory, especially as it's so easy to break the town speed limit in first gear at 6800 rpm

Recently I got the chance to stretch the CU2's legs on long highway drives at high speed, so I revved it to the redline any chance I got. The engine now feels a lot smoother and sounds better past 5000 rpm. It also feels more powerful (so says the butt dyno).

The thing is I haven't changed the oil or serviced the car for the past five months. I'm wondering if regular VTEC activation cleans out the crap in the engine or if the engine needs regular revving to keep things working properly. Next oil change I'm gonna try the new Honda 0W-20 oil to see if the engine revs even smoother.

Member Array
    Car:
    '06 Euro Std 5A
    More likely, the ECU remapped itself to your new behaviour when you started driving aggressively, and now responds as such around town too. I suspect nothing has changed except throttle response.
    '06 Accord Euro Std
    Stock standard =|

Member Array
    Car:
    Flying Carpet
    Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    More likely, the ECU remapped itself to your new behaviour when you started driving aggressively, and now responds as such around town too. I suspect nothing has changed except throttle response.
    this & maybe if you had some blockage in cat , or something and going hard cleand her out .
    SingleCammerJammer

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    the CPU is a neural net processor; a learning computer. But Skynet pre-sets the switch to read-only when we're sent out alone

Member Array
    Car:
    Ek4_cxi_type_R
    Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    the CPU is a neural net processor; a learning computer. But Skynet pre-sets the switch to read-only when we're sent out alone
    Last edited by joyride; Today at 07:26 AM. Reason: Ask for permission if you're going to use someone elses pic

Member Array
    Car:
    Flying Carpet
    SingleCammerJammer

Member Array
    Car:
    08' Euro CU2
    just wondering, if revving can help clear out crap from the internals.
    Would revving from a stand still have the same effect as redlining it on the road
    this is safer (without breaking speed limit)
    will it give the same effect, this way it can be done in just the driveway/

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by philip_pc View Post
    just wondering, if revving can help clear out crap from the internals.
    Would revving from a stand still have the same effect as redlining it on the road
    this is safer (without breaking speed limit)
    will it give the same effect, this way it can be done in just the driveway/
    Revving at neutral is limited to 4000 RPM IIRC, the VTEC doesnt engage till 6800 RPM.

So it doesn't really work the same way.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

First my car gives me more power, then it grows a new brain and wants to take over its human owner I don't know if the ECU changed its throttle behaviour because I'm still seeing the same fuel consumption as before. Could be crap in the engine or even the cat... anyway I'm definitely going to try the new 0W-20 at the next oil change.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    Revving at neutral is limited to 4000 RPM IIRC, the VTEC doesnt engage till 6800 RPM.

So it doesn't really work the same way.
    Peak power arrives at 6800RPM. VTEC engages at 6000RPM. Would be pretty bad if it did engage at 6800RPM as red line is at 7200RPM.

As for revving being good for the engine, well, I was taught that when servicing your car, you should rev it, cos then the pumps work at higher pressure, forcing out any possible clogs in the oil paths. However, having said that, considering the age of the car, if oil is already clogging up........

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Accord Euro
    I just want an excuse to fang my CU2 right now and I'm getting it serviced on Wednesday.. should I give it a few nice runs?
    '97 Teg VTi-R - GONE :'( -> '08 CU2

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressCoffee View Post
    I just want an excuse to fang my CU2 right now and I'm getting it serviced on Wednesday.. should I give it a few nice runs?
    Why not?
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum