Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec

how to store a car.. long term??

hey guys,

not really for a honda but i guess some people will benefit from the feedback i recieve..

ive got a sr20det swapped n14 pulsar. ive had the car for about 8 months and absolutely love it to bits. being on my p plates, i decided i cannot risk driving it, so i had it up for sale.. it didnt sell despite being in such good condition, so i took that as a sign to keep it.

im looking to store the pulsar till about jan-feb 2014 (when i get my full licence).

i just need some advice on how to store it. unfortunately i dont have garage space, so i plan on keeping it covered in the backyard.
    it is currently due for a service and a new clutch. the battery is dead as it has beein sitting there connected for about a month now.

should i service the car before i let it sit? i dont really want to be putting royal purple oil in there if its going to just sit there.. would the oil get gluey and ugly?

i previously owned a 180sx which hadnt been run in years by the previous owner. all the engine hoses and rubber bits in the engine bay were like biscuits.. they would just crumble. is there anyway of preventing this from happening?

i dont want to risk taking the car out for a spin every now and then as i live in an area that is always patrolled by highway patrol.

if you guys could give me some tips and advice on how to store it longterm that will be much appreciated. just little ideas that will help keep the car healthy and engine intact.

thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    http://www.automotiveforums.com/t969...vehicles_.html

best thing you can do is drive it weekly/get someone to do it for you

also, (http://news.carjunky.com/automotive/...e-cde951.shtml)

1. Change the oil just prior to storage. Oil absorbs moisture (a natural byproduct of combustion) and if old oil is left in the motor, moisture will evaporate out of the oil and condense on the engine internals causing corrosion. Also, oil becomes acidic with use and should be changed for this reason also.

Change oil, start engine and run just long enough for the oil to circulate, then shut off for the season to prevent a buildup of moisture. If planning to change the tranny fluid in the coming season, it's also a good idea to do this now for basically the same reason.

2. Loosen the spark plugs and shoot either fogger oil or a squirt of motor oil from a can into the sparkplug holes - about 1 tsp. This will prevent the rings from corroding and seizing to the cylinder walls over the winter. Upon initial startup in spring, oil will burn off in the 1st few minutes.

3. Increase tire pressures to 40PSI. This will prevent flatspotting and leaks. The tire pressure will drop with ambient temp. Some will say to put the car on blocks, but with modern independent suspension, it's not good to leave it 'unsprung' for long periods.

If you want to get really anal, fill the tires with Nitrogen. This is a Dry Gas and will prevent Dry Rot. Nitrogen can be obtained from any welding supply.

4. Store desiccants in the car. These can be purchased and laid on the floor front/back. This prevents mildew from growing and keeps leather from deteriorating due to accumulated moisture.

Also, the 'Car Cacoons' currently being sold are very good for long term storage and use only a couple bucks electricity the entire season, also reduces door dings and the like. Absent this, use a quality car Cover.

5. Wash the car - don't allow pollution, Tree Sap etc. to work on the paint through the winter.

6. Remove battery from the car and put on a maintainer, preferably inside where it's warm. Be sure to allow plenty of ventilation to prevent Hydrogen Gas buildup.

7. Place the car on a sheet of Vinyl laid out on the garage floor. Make sure the vinyl extends 2 feet from any edge of the car. Garage floors seep moisture through the winter which can condense on the underside of the car, suspension, etc. causing corrosion.

8. Fill Gas Tank with Fresh, Premium fuel. A partial tank will corrode from moist air. Plus, it'll probably be cheaper than filling it next season.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster

Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    http://www.automotiveforums.com/t969...vehicles_.html

best thing you can do is drive it weekly/get someone to do it for you

also, (http://news.carjunky.com/automotive/...e-cde951.shtml)
    thanks for that man, thats awsome! would anyone happen to know i i should service the car again say after 5-6 months or so?

also, how often should i get some oil in the plugs? and how often should i be starting it?

Banned Array
    Car:
    R34 GTR Vspec
    oh and also is there anything i need to keep in mind to keep the turbo intact? i was planning on cleaning out the oil in my intercooler and filters etc..

Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    this lmzoooo

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    My car was in storage for 6 years and with none of the above done.

Just needed a new fuel pump and ICM, started right up. Changed all the fluids as well. Still runs fine to this day.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    CP2 / EG5
    Make sure you disconnect the battery or have it on a charger once every few weeks so it doesn't lose all its charge . Would reccomed you service it once every 6-8 months for safe measure

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2/180sx
    Can you store it at your parents place or something?

Well if you need to park your car for an extended period (more than one month), there are several things you should do to prepare it for storage.
    Proper preparation will help prevent deterioration and makes it easier to get your car back on the road. An if possible, store it indoors! some things to do are:

Fill the fuel tank, change the engine oil and filter, wash and dry the exterior, clean the interior/ make sure floor mats are completely dry, leave the parking brake off/ put the transmission in reverse, if the car is to be stored for a longer period it should be supported on jackstands so the tires are off the ground. Leave a window open slightly (if being stored indoors), disconnect the battery, silicon spray the tailgate/ door seals.

Cover the car with a breathable cover such as one made from cotton.. other materials such as plastic sheeting can cause damage to paint by trapping moisture and through wind damage. Also if possible, periodically run the engine until it reaches full operating temp (the cooling fans cycle on and off twice). If you can, do this once a month.

That's pretty much it really

cant drive a pulsar on your p's?
    thats a bit unfair.
    Its not like its a really fast car.
    It's a stupid rule considering there are alot faster cars you can legally drive.
    you could store it at a car storage facility.
    They can even start your car regularly if you desire.
    Stage 1 FI engine,SOS supercharged,Laminova intercooler,Liquid to air intercooler,ARC titanium exhaust,DC headers,High flow cats,AEM EMS,Short ratio gearbox,KW V3 coilover suspension

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    I didnt use anything to store the car, just left it

started up straight away mun
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut