Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK EM1

EG Full Head Gasket Set

Hey fellas, I (think) am in need of a full head gasket set after overheating very bad to the point where the car would not drive, had to wait for couple of hours for it to cool down. Was stuck in traffic and am not running a fan I'm also guessing the thermostat also didn't open. I turned the heater on to dissipate some heat inside which bought me some time but eventually it was just too hot.

Next day I find plenty of engine oil in 2nd cylinder and spark plug from the Dizzy. After plugs were cleaned, turned it on and it blew some white smoke and then cleared. Fuel and coolant don't seem to be mixed from quick visual inspection.

Also noticeable is loss of engine power when car is warm. I read the thread here by teal_dx about doing the head gasket and seems pretty straight forward. So I thought might as well do the full gasket. Hopefully nothing mechanical has been damaged.

I can't find anyone apart from Dealers and auto store selling them here for nearly $400 in so I looked on ebay US and a full set is about $50. My problem is that the engine I have D15Z2 SOHC 1.5l Single Carburetor, ebay sellers are not aware of this engine and hence can't recommend any of their gaskets. Anyone know if other EG 1.5l SOHC Fuel Injected gaskets would be the same? I mean the only difference is the air/fuel delivery so all else should be same?

Would this work?
    http://www.1aauto.com/1A/EngineGaske...33/353128/1995

This is the engine:

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    replace > rebuild.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    88' ED6
    ^ as above. Those engines are cheap as chips. Plus you could have warped the head, meaning all that work you've done replacing the gasket would have been wasted.
    '96 EK1 - '99 Milano Red DC2R - '99 Championship White DC2R - '92 EG4 - '89 EF9 B16/LSD - 88' ED6 - 91' SR20DET 180sx - 93' EG8 B16 Sedan

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    +1 i think its easyer to swap then rebuild
    Mate my bbk cost more than your Honda.
    -Amant02

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK EM1
    Dang! I was hoping to avoid engine replacement. If I was to replace could I just get a new head? I don't have the time/facility to do a swap.

Back to my original question, anyone know of the gaskets?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    you could, but again thats just a head gasket replacment really.. i wouldnt really put alot of faith in a head set that costs 50..so go to sca/repco/autopro and ask is acl do a vrs or head set depending
    -Amant02

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK EM1
    Those ACL or auto store full gasket set was quoted to me for around $400 so $50 is reasonable atm if it will just get from a to b. I've read some reviews and people haven't had any issues with those gasket sets. The price does seems to exude that 'flimsy quality' vibe but its just here in Oz (overpriced country) that people are used to paying top dollars for pretty much everything.

Well, I've been told that the US D15B7 is similar to AUS D15Z2 engine so I'll order that from the US. Will get the head checked first though.

Member Array
    Car:
    4WD 89 Concerto
    the block surface could possibly be warped as well, might be worth while checking if its flat as well.
    OEM parts whore

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    If your car isn't a Daily Drive
    You can remove the head and check for surface warpage on the block and head
    There's no point in waiting 2-3 weeks for delivery of HG set
    Pull it apart and put it back together only to find the car overheats again because
    The top and bottom end don't seal
    Why doesn't your car have a radiator? I mean fan?
    If you grab the bottom radiator hose and squeeze you can hear a clicking of sorts - that's the thermostat opening and closing
    IMO get a B16a :P
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasemas View Post
    If you grab the bottom radiator hose and squeeze you can hear a clicking of sorts - that's the thermostat opening and closing

S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    CD5 & GE6
    Just indicating a way of knowing if its clogged or not
    You've gone through more accords than I changed underwear this month! - Sugz

www.OzAccord.net/forum

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    this is going to go really well.....
    -Amant02