Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    AP1, Jazz GE

Question New S2000 Owner. Need Advice

Hi people. I just got my first s2000 yesterday. Im planning to change all the oil, for engine im gona use castrol edge 5-30,but im not sure what to use for gearbox and diff so i need some advice. I notice theres a line in one of the front rotor so i guess the brake pad might need to replace and machine the disk, i search on ebay and found the brake pad call Brembo, are they any good. I research around and people recommend EBC but im low on fund so can only afford something cheaper. Last question, the car has just done over 90k, beside changing the oil what needs to be done? thx

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM S15
    i would suggest 10w30 or 10w40.. they are a higher revving engine, so they need it, especially when they get a bit of age on them.. make sure you check your oil level every few days as they tend to burn a lot of oil, especially if hitting vtec often..

ive heard a lot of good stuff about ebc, red stuff especially for daily driving/low brake dust. and these are cheap as they are. dont see how brembo can be cheaper than ebc, unless it's OEM grade or fake ebay brembo.. brembo is a reputable brake manufacturer which usually equals high price.

you seem inexperienced, no offense, if i were you, i'd leave brakes to the pros and not take cheap options with brakes.. they are very important.. wait till you save to do it properly..

call a honda dealer and ask them what's involved with the 90k service, they might tell you what they would do? then you just do the same.. i know somewhere online there is a honda service doc which shows you whats carried out with the different services depending on mileage..

try search for it..

Member Array
    Car:
    JDM S15
    there's heaps of threads on the various brakes and oils to use.. please use the search button on the top right or browse through the threads. you'll find almost all your questions have been covered in depth plenty times.

there is a sticky post on the top of the s2000/nsx list..

labelled Sticky: S2000 Frequently Asked Questions. *******Look here before posting ANY questions******

please go through it.
    Last edited by ALPS; 14-03-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000 / CL9
    If your burning alot of oil in a few days, your oil is too thin.. also if you run too thin you will get blow by... if you run 5W30, pull your air intake hose off the throttle body after a month and see if there is an oil film in there..... 5w30 for aus conditions is really thin. if you drive your car hard... i would use no less than 10w40.
    i use 10w40 (royal purple) in my 06 accord euro also.

i use motul 10w40 300V chrono. changed every 2500kms or every track day coz i thrash my cars. im working on my s2000 now so my air intake came off and my Throttle body and it had oil in it... my mechanic in the honda's he does and people drive them hard he uses 5w50. never had a problem with oil pumps or engines dying.... in all his experience they have lasted way longer.

i am unsure whether to use 10w40 or 5w50 when i fill her up next....

this is my opinion and from my experience. - nothing more

If an every day driver just put 10W40 - and not castrol edge.... lol

for a track day and a mega caining... run a 50.

Anyone feel free to correct me... im all ears.

P.S. as the car gets older, you run a thicker oil... not thinner. so 90xxxx a 10w40 is what i would use.

Royal purple is awesome too! Not super cheap but good stuff.
    change every 5000kms
    Last edited by philipminge; 14-03-2013 at 03:04 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    AP1, Jazz GE
    thanks for the reply. I did had a look at the sticky post but the only oil recommendation is for the engine and not for gearbox and diff or maybe i missed that..will go through that again. eddy from topone tell me to use 10-30 as well but after seeing the sticky post,seeing most people use 5-30 thats why i changed my mind. I will upgrade my rotor and brake once i got enough money, but now because the pad is scratching the disk so ive to replace the pad and im low on fund as well thats why i what to get something cheap for now.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000 / CL9
    Use genuine honda s2000 transmission fluid. Works the best. And 5w30 is not what I would go.
    But ur choice. Good luck with the new car and if you want to buy my brake pads for super cheap let me know.
    I'm getting racing pads and have genuine honda pads in my car. Still good condition and plenty of pad left. Maybe 75 percent front and 60percent rear. I would sell u all 4 pads for $100 or just fronts or rears for 50$

Let me know if interested.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 BB AP1
    if you're daily driving generally 10w30 will be fine. With gearbox and diff oils most people i know with an s2k are using OEM honda liquids as there are no real issues with it

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    AP1, Jazz GE
    thx guys for the reply. just one last question,im changing those oil myself so any other place where i would get the honda fluid beside honda? just incase they dont have them or something..

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000 / CL9
    they always usually have them.

shouldnt be an issue.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    AP1, Jazz GE
    Just another question. Is it possible to tune the stock computer? The car has got a pod filter and maybe exhaust done and i feel like the car its running a bit rich as i can smell some "unfinish burn petrol"(i dont know how yo describe it). BTW,the car also got a apexi SAFC..will it be that?

It is possible to tune the stock ECU via a Interceptor/Controller [Such as your SAFC] or a Piggyback ECU [Trust E-Manage/Ultimate]. Depending how 'rich' it is, sometimes its normal for a sport car to run a little richer than normal passenger cars [Generally factory mapping is mapped conservatively to accommodate for wide variety of operating environments and parameters [Different fuel quality, etc]. However if you feel that you're losing a lot of power and big puffs of black smoke everywhere then you've got issues.

The SAFC tunes only Fuel [Not Ignition iirc] and depending on which model, it can alter VTEC engagement point.
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    From liqui-moly website RE: what manual transmission and diff oil to use..

HONDA
    S2000, 2.0 Litre DOHC VTEC Eng., Man. (1999-2006)

Engine

(1) LEICHTLAUF SPECIAL LL 5W-30
    Specifications and approvals:
    ACEA A3-04/ B4-04
    API SL/CF
    OPEL GM-LL-A025 / GM-LL-B025
    BMW Longlife-01
    MB-approval 229.3
    VW 502 00/505 00

1L 2750
    5L 2751
    20L 1194
    205L 1196

Manual Transmission

HOCHLEISTUNGS-GETRIEBEOL (GL3+) 75W-80
    API GL 3+
    ZF-TE-ML 02D
    LIQUI MOLY recommends this product for vehicles for which the following specifications are required:
    MB 235.4 / 235.10 / 235.11
    DAF
    Iveco
    Renault LKW
    MAN 341 Typ E3, MAN 341 Typ Z3
    Volvo 97305
    Eaton Extended Drain (300.000 km)

1L 4427
    20L 4428
    Service Refill Capacity: 1.5 Litres

Differential

(1) HYPOID-GETRIEBEOL (GL5) 85W-90
    API GL 5
    MAN 342 Typ M1
    MB-Approval 235.0
    MIL-L 2105 D
    ZF-TE-ML 05A, 16C, 17B, 19B, 21A

1L 1035
    20L 1047
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut