Changing clutch dc5s

Hello all,
    Long storey short I have a slippery clutch and out of curiosity I called up a mechanic to see the price of changing a clutch. I've been advice it would cost 1400 for labour only due to having to removing the engine to replace the clutch. Does this sound right?

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    you don't have to remove the engine..... but you do have to remove the gearbox

I would've thought 1000, but i have heard of this 1.4k mark before - has been posted here before somewhere
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

There's a DIY thread on an rsx forum on how it was done on the ground from home. required a H-beam across the chassis as it will require the removal of the subframe and engine mount. Good idea to know what u r in for before trusting someone for their words.

I have personally done it before with my mechanic on the ground, trust me it's a bitch of a work. Thing to look out for that will be brittle and expensive to replace: the knock sensor. Make sure whoever does it don't end up breaking it.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    $700-$1000 is the gping rate

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    Last one i did drive in drive out was $1050 with exedy hd & penrite gearbox oil
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type R
    I had a slippery clutch a few months after I bought my car. At first the mechanic replaced the master and slave cylinder (costed $400) then a couple weeks later had to replace the whole exedy heavy duty clutch (costed about $1100) all labour inclusive

Thanks for the replies.. I have statutory warranty which covers the clutch and was just curious to see the cost. I was amazed when he said he would need to remove the engine.. 1400 exclude the clutch so it's gonna be 2000 all inclusive

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by warwick108 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.. I have statutory warranty which covers the clutch and was just curious to see the cost. I was amazed when he said he would need to remove the engine.. 1400 exclude the clutch so it's gonna be 2000 all inclusive
    as long as you dont pay for it, whatever ey. at least now you know that workshop is dodgy/stupid/both.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

not sure what is happening now.. this morning i was still having the clutch problem.. ie if i accelerate from 20 to 30 in 2nd gear it would not go very fast but revv very high.. however i dont have that problem anymore.. it seems like it just dissappeared, however I tried the clutch trick and put my car in 5th gear while at rest and slowly releasing the clutch without accelerating.. the car didnt stall!!..

what is the problem?

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    The clutch is slipping mate
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

if u are in melbourne talk to stndrd he did my clutch im wrapped saved me heaps car runs great.

This has happened with my uncle's 4x4. Brake fluid was leaking onto his clutch or master cylinder or something. Each time he used brake cleaner at the area, his clutch would not slip for about 30 mins. Then it would come back again. Get it checked out properly at a better place that won't charge you too much.