Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    Quote Originally Posted by xenonkuraz View Post
    Trent is very reputable but I can't recommend chasers (footscray division) enough. Paul has tuned a few of my cars including a boosted Honda and they are always high power, safe afrs, excellent timing and GREAT fuel economy. I've been to springy motors, re customs and c&d and they all suck as I had to retune my car each time.
    whats the afr on crusing and wot?
    how many kms a full tank you get?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    Why does everybody think they are an expert when it comes to tuning? AFR is no direct measurement of a quality of a tune - obviously there is a difference if he has tuned the fuel map to be in the 14's at WOT (conventional Honda engine here, no smart arses please) - but if one engine is tuned to be 12.0:1 WOT and 13.5:1 WOT? Honestly, can you guys tell me safely WHY one is better than the other without having your own data to the tune? No.

Paul, I'll give you my honest word of advice here - I don't know what the tuning scene is like in Melbourne for Hondas, but generally tuners in this country are experienced mechanics who decided to start tuning and over time, they got better. These types of people may understand and know how to apply their experience, but they will be learning all over again if they haven't tuned an NSW previously. On an engine as rare as yours, I would play it safe and take it to an educated tuner who is well renown for doing exactly that, tuning. In Sydney I can think of very few people I would trust.
    Last edited by Chr1s; 27-03-2013 at 09:05 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    FD2 N/A what?
    Not to discredit what Chris has just said,

Paul from chasers may have started as a mechanic, but before he started tuning our cars - he tuned F1 cars.
    i live my life full boost, one gear at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chr1s View Post
    Why does everybody think they are an expert when it comes to tuning? AFR is no direct measurement of a quality of a tune - obviously there is a difference if he has tuned the fuel map to be in the 14's at WOT (conventional Honda engine here, no smart arses please) - but if one engine is tuned to be 12.0:1 WOT and 13.5:1 WOT? Honestly, can you guys tell me safely WHY one is better than the other without having your own data to the tune? No.

Paul, I'll give you my honest word of advice here - I don't know what the tuning scene is like in Melbourne for Hondas, but generally tuners in this country are experienced mechanics who decided to start tuning and over time, they got better. These types of people may understand and know how to apply their experience, but they will be learning all over again if they haven't tuned an NSW previously. On an engine as rare as yours, I would play it safe and take it to an educated tuner who is well renown for doing exactly that, tuning. In Sydney I can think of very few people I would trust.
    Paul?
    Paul is a tuner at chasers.
    Not sure i get where your coming from.
    I do want to take it to the best tuner i can find. thats the point of this thread.
    They may be a rare engine but its just a 3L V6 double overhead cam v tech engine.
    Nothing a experienced tuner couldnt handle.
    Stage 1 FI engine,SOS supercharged,Laminova intercooler,Liquid to air intercooler,ARC titanium exhaust,DC headers,High flow cats,AEM EMS,Short ratio gearbox,KW V3 coilover suspension

That's not strictly true...

An experience tuner with your car and engine will have the necessary know how to bring out the best and in the least amount of time. Yes any tuner can tune whatever engine be it piston, rotary, V12, W16, etc. However how well they can do it and how efficiency they can get that result is a different matter.

If that tuner is inexperience with your car, engine or ECU, you'll be the guinea pig.

You can hardly call a C30A 3L V6 DOHC Quad Cam VTEC conventional... Add to that it's been supercharged... I do fear however unlike in JP or US, AUS doesn't have many experience C30/32 tuners?

Just like my old car, 4A-GE 20V, its just a 1.6L that's been modified in every angle internally and externally. Sure I could just take it to anyone and hope they're good enough to get my car working on pump fuel running dizzy heights of compression, ITBs, etc... But I took it to my personal tuner who knows 4AG 20V inside out. He did a fanatistic job, nothing got damaged, none of my datalogs showed extremities being reached and didn't have to charge me for many pointless hours groping around.

All engines have their own special characteristics too.

Btw this is not to discredit Paul, I'm sure he's a great tuner...
    Last edited by DreadAngel; 27-03-2013 at 03:57 PM.
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Thats the issue.
    There are not many tuners who have experience with my engine.
    I never called my engine conventional. in its day it was quite advanced but these days every car company is making engines with variable valve timing and multiple cams.
    Regarding the AEM EMS, it is a very simple windows based ECU that is alot simpler to tune vs motech or haltech so i wouldnt think it would be an issue for a good tuner to get his head around.
    In a perfect world i would love to have an expert in nsx's tuning my car but that probably is'nt going to happen so my next best option is to find the best tuner i can.
    Stage 1 FI engine,SOS supercharged,Laminova intercooler,Liquid to air intercooler,ARC titanium exhaust,DC headers,High flow cats,AEM EMS,Short ratio gearbox,KW V3 coilover suspension

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    fly Bisi over from usa

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    Sorry, I thought Paul was the OP's name - I have never met or dealt with Paul from Chasers so my comment has nothing to do with him.

Funky, yes and no - the modern tuner will upload a basemap close enough to the car that they think is suitable, with an engine like yours, chances are they won't have that luxury so they will have to start from scratch, and that's where the trouble comes from....

Another comment I would like to make, asking on a forum will always get you no where about which tuner to go to - there is good and bad stories with all, if you dig hard enough. - make a list of those mentioned on a forum, take peoples horror stories with a grain of salt and go see the person face to face to get a real verdict of your own, there is always two sides to the story, and yes there is the classic "the customer is always right" but when it comes to tuning cars - I tend to disagree.

The more you know, the more you don't !

I have a base map already supplied by Science of speed in the states with 80% of the tune and the car has had its first tune already and done 300km since the tune.
    I'm increasing the boost so i want a new tune done and i'm not happy with the first tune so i would like to find another tuner.
    Why i started this thread is to find out if anyone has experience with my engine and ECU but that may be a long shot.

Quote Originally Posted by funkynsx View Post
    Thats the issue.
    There are not many tuners who have experience with my engine.
    I never called my engine conventional. in its day it was quite advanced but these days every car company is making engines with variable valve timing and multiple cams.
    Regarding the AEM EMS, it is a very simple windows based ECU that is alot simpler to tune vs motech or haltech so i wouldnt think it would be an issue for a good tuner to get his head around.
    In a perfect world i would love to have an expert in nsx's tuning my car but that probably is'nt going to happen so my next best option is to find the best tuner i can.
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadAngel View Post
    I do fear however unlike in JP or US, AUS doesn't have many experience C30/32 tuners?
    I know what you mean
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1 CXI
    who tuned it the first time???

Quote Originally Posted by IEVAQ8 View Post
    who tuned it the first time???
    JPC in Thomastown.
    I went with them because i couldnt get it booked in with Chasers at the time and JPC had tuned a nsx engine and supercharger in a race buggy so it was my best option at the time.
    The car runs great but it had a lower than expected WHP (350WHP) but that could be a quirk of the dyno.
    Now i'm upping the boost to 11psi and my target hp will be around 430WHP.