Thread: torque mounts

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2

torque mounts

hey guys,
    in a recent thread a mod mentioned that he thinks that using stiff (inovative,avid etc etc) engine mounts removes the need for torque mounts, im interested to see what you guys think, i can see the logic here but..... for refrence we where talking about a b18c in an ek
    Mate my bbk cost more than your Honda.
    -Amant02

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    but what?
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveho1 View Post
    hey guys,
    in a recent thread a mod mentioned that he thinks that using stiff (inovative,avid etc etc) engine mounts removes the need for torque mounts, im interested to see what you guys think, i can see the logic here but..... for refrence we where talking about a b18c in an ek
    Yer im running hasport. The set doesnt include the 2 torque mounts. So i just left them stock. "DIDNT REMOVE THEM" No problem here. Been like that for 60 000KM and there fine.
    As for the Hardrace mounts i used for a civic, which included the 2 torque mounts. Quality is worst then the hasports and it vibrates alot more!

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Quote Originally Posted by mocchi View Post
    but what?
    but it goes against my better judgment to remove mount like that, that being said however moust cars dont run torque mounts so i cant see a problem. i just hadnt considered it befor you know. oh mocchi love the signature btw. i hear JK is worlds best
    -Amant02

Member Array
    Car:
    P1.5 460F/350R
    but it goes against my better judgment to remove mount like that, that being said however moust cars dont run torque mounts so i cant see a problem. i just hadnt considered it befor you know. oh mocchi love the signature btw. i hear JK is worlds best
    ive run oem mounts without torque mount cos they were busted and it drives fine
    bit more sloppy though on gear changes.

have tried to use oem torque mounts with hasports eg b18c7, and for some reason it vibrates alot more
    removed the torque mounts and vibrates much less.

cant comment on longevity though with/without torque mounts.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    With our special rotational tires, it will allow you to drive very fast. - JK Tyre

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    hmm its interesting that it vibrated more. i guess it would be more comfortable for daily driving with out em but honestly i dont mind the vibration personaly but i can see why others would
    -Amant02

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    with the mounts you dont need them as they differ greatly in overall design from oem items
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    k well has anyone run em with out torque mounts to compare there longevity
    -Amant02

Ozhonda Supporter Array
    Car:
    MV Agusta F4
    hey guys,
    I agree and disagree at the same time. Yes - if you have hard engine mounts the stock torque mounts will be doing nothing and the stock torque mounts will be just 'floating' so to speak. Not sure where Mocchi got his vibrations from.

But..... in saying that, I am however a fan of torque mounts.... read on. If you have stock engine mounts, I would keep in the stock torque mounts in and if I had hard engine mounts, I'd put in hard torque mounts. Reason is if you just had the 3 engine mounts and no torque mounts the single rear mount will always take the 'brunt' of the load with engine torque rotation. Thats why you always hear people having a smashed rear mount that needs replacing well before the others.

Torque mounts are are called that for that exact reason, they oppose the engine torque rotation when your on the gas and on load. They are positioned stretched out front of the engine mounted on the chassis with nice leverage to counter-act the engine torque rotation.

So yes you can just use the 3 engine mounts and get away with it. All those mounts will work harder, the rear will cop a beating. If its a show car, it looks much cleaner without the 2 torque mounts and brackets.

Or put the 2 appropriate torque mounts in front and do the job they were designed to.
    Deano.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    that was my thinking as well, however i will add that in a car with hard engine mounts, torque mounts and coilovers i would buy some felt and go rattle finding but as we know thats the trade off. hmmm its all very interesting to me as i remember a conversation awhile back where someone was advocating using 2 hard mounts and leaving the rear stock and another person recomended vise versa honestly ill prolly use a set of avid torque mounts but i just thought this would be an interesting discussion
    -Amant02