Member Array
    Car:
    Euro MY2010

CU2 LUX Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 Tyres

After nearly 45,000km I have finally decided to get rid of the Michelin HP Primacy tyres that have been bugging me since new. They have been noisy (like a bad wheel bearing) since almost new. Rotating them to different positions sometimes helps but the noise has always been there. Mind you they have lasted well, probably still had 5,000 left in them.

The decision with what to replace them with took some time and research. My primary aim was for something that was quiet and offered a good ride and still had reasonable handling. I wanted to stay with the original size 235/45/18 98W

The site http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk was helpful as is the new EU tyre label guide which rates tyres on the basis of fuel efficiency, wet grip and noise.

Briefly, ruled out the Goodyear F5 directional, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Yokahamas and after much discussion with tyre dealers settled for the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 Tyres at $385/corner.

Finally, some decent tyres on the car.

They ride well, are quiet and handle/brake as well as the Michelins' did if not better. Steering response may be a little less, but all new tyres feel "different" when they first go on. Time will tell as for wear.

So, if you are in doubt about what to replace your OEM size tyres with, you may want to try the Asymmetric 2.

i hate my standard Yokohama , they noisy as well.

other day i got some good year ls2000 hybris 2 on other car , same size as euro and they are a nice quiet tyre so far , time will tell tho. made in japan

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro MY2010
    I had the ls2000 on my previous Vectra and they were good. The problem with the CU2 Lux is the unusual tyre size and rating (98W) that makes the choice very limited.

I was keen on the Yokahama db V551 decibels. Size was available but rating was only 94W, so not legal.

Member Array
    Car:
    '12 Euro 6spd
    Gotta say I haven't really thought the OEM Michelin s are* that *noisy, but I haven't driven it on anything else either. There is definately some noise on coarse chip roads though. I'm upto 33k on them so I'll keep the goodyears in mind! I also traded a Vectra for a euro.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    $385 per corner is pretty steep. I always thought the F1 were meant to be good value performance tyres, but that makes them one of the more expensive ones. Maybe it's the size? Then again, I'm looking at 235/40R18 instead of the 45 profile.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro MY2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMaster View Post
    $385 per corner is pretty steep. I always thought the F1 were meant to be good value performance tyres, but that makes them one of the more expensive ones. Maybe it's the size? Then again, I'm looking at 235/40R18 instead of the 45 profile.
    I was quoted $495 a few months back and the Michelin were as expensive.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro MY2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kjs View Post
    Gotta say I haven't really thought the OEM Michelin s are* that *noisy, but I haven't driven it on anything else either. There is definately some noise on coarse chip roads though. I'm upto 33k on them so I'll keep the goodyears in mind! I also traded a Vectra for a euro.
    I do feel that I may have gotton some "duds" with the Michelins. A few tyre dealers told me that they had experienced some odd behaviour from some Primacy HP's being slightly out of round or uneven hardness in the construction of the tyre. Mine wore very evenly front/rear and were rotated regularly and aligned a few times over their life, not that I have had any alignment issues.

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....A2XL&tab=Sizes

Maybe a different model then. I guess it's cos you guys need the higher load rating ones.

I got a quote from Costco Auburn last weekend, Michelin Primacy HP $ 342 & Bridgestone RE050 $327. Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 is a good option to replace the OEM rubber, it has a better performance than Primacy HP from reviews.

Member Array
    Car:
    Euro MY2010
    Also the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 Tyres have a sidewall kerbing rib to protect your wheels from gutter rash.