Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking into purchasing an MY09 FN2 Type R

Hey OzHonda,

I specifically joined up to create this thread as i've pretty much seen a 50/50 split on this car. It seems that people either LOVE it (generally Honda lovers) or people either HATE it (generally Top Gear lovers/Honda haters) I have yet to actually inspect/drive the car however will be doing so shortly so try to refrain from the typical "drive it and if you like it then buy it" comment. I'm looking to go into a bit more detail than that.

When it comes to cars i'm pretty much a noob looking to get started in the JDM scene. Currently a green p plater, 12 months out from a full license. My first car was a 1998 toyota paseo to learn manual on, which i sold after 12 months and purchased an auto VE SV6 Ute which i kept for around 7 months due to working a job that required a ute. Since changing jobs that no longer needed a ute and couldn't wait to get rid of auto transmission, I sold it, and with minimal thought nor research/testing i purchased a new Corolla Levin SX which i'm now bored to death of.

I'm pretty much looking for a naturally aspirated car that's fun to drive. I don't care about features like sat nav etc. I loved the raw power of the sv6 i had but can't help but smiling like an idiot any time i'm in my mates '01 Integra Type R. My other mate has a Sportivo, which while has a nice engine, nothing much else appeals to me about that car. It feels pretty stiff around corners, not very comfortable etc.

My budget is anywhere up to $30,000, preferably a jap made car and has to be naturally aspirated. From what i've seen this is pretty much Sportivo vs FN2R vs SP25 vs ???. I wouldn't really go for an EP3 as i'd rather a more modern looking/feeling car, especially internally. I love Intergra Type R's however as mentioned my mate has one so I wouldn't get one based on that alone.

What are the general pro's and con's of the FN2R or any similar car given my situation?

Thanks for the help

Which state are you from?

I would personally go for the EP3R and a Corolla Sportivo. Ep3R has a good pull with 6 Speed box and the JDM K20 engine.
    I've seen EP3R beat alot of S15 and Evos and some V8s, And you cant say no to the interior. Who wouldnt want a
    warm fuzzy hug by Recaros while driving?

As of the corolla, Has a pretty good amount of power for a little 1.8L toyota and sounds AMAZING due to their lift.
    Sounds exactly the same a a B series engine when vtec kicks in.

You could look around for an S2000 My cousin has one and its nice as! Rear wheel fun with a Vtec Motor. Take it sideways
    and what not. Not that im encouraging you to

A short clip from youtube for the 2zz-ge sportivo

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda_FD View Post
    I would personally go for the EP3R and a Corolla Sportivo. Ep3R has a good pull with 6 Speed box and the JDM K20 engine.
    I've seen EP3R beat alot of S15 and Evos and some V8s, And you cant say no to the interior. Who wouldnt want a
    warm fuzzy hug by Recaros while driving?

As of the corolla, Has a pretty good amount of power for a little 1.8L toyota and sounds AMAZING due to their lift.
    Sounds exactly the same a a B series engine when vtec kicks in.

You could look around for an S2000 My cousin has one and its nice as! Rear wheel fun with a Vtec Motor. Take it sideways
    and what not. Not that im encouraging you to

A short clip from youtube for the 2zz-ge sportivo
    I was going to say, for that money you can get a s2k with prob 5-10k left for mods!
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

By fun to drive, you mean revs to the sky, light-ish and decent handling? considered an rx8? way more fun to rev up than a honda and imo looks much nicer. accualy looks like a sportsy car and sound of a rotary is butiful

R32 mkv golf or an 86 might suit your criteria? considering you've got 30k to blow :P if you're considering the convertible route, mx5 nc s1/2 is within budget
    KEEP IT VIET | KEEP IT JDM
    FaLL iN LoVe WheN YoU aRe ReAdY, NoT WhEN YoU ARe LOnEly

Quote Originally Posted by RenzokukenJ View Post
    I was going to say, for that money you can get a s2k with prob 5-10k left for mods!
    You can but because Australia the Insurance will be high as for P Platers. Especially a Two Door convertible Sports car.
    My cousin as a SV6 VE Z-Series Ute for work and he pays over $1,000.

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda_FD View Post
    You can but because Australia the Insurance will be high as for P Platers. Especially a Two Door convertible Sports car.
    My cousin as a SV6 VE Z-Series Ute for work and he pays over $1,000.
    Why not pay 3rd party insurance until 25 and/or off P plates, and then get full comp?
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Just bought an 09 model FN2r and was in the exact same position. Pm me if you have any questions
    looking for aftermarket FN2R parts ! pm me !

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Ps... if ur budget is capped out at $30k... i'd consider stretchhing that budget to $40k.... take a loan/save a bit longer and imo it really opens the doors to better cars!

Having said that... fn2r are a good buy around the $22k mark... consider aftermarket engine mounta. Coilovers. And an intakr to open up the vtec crossover. Those three mods u be very happy and are sensible mods.

Last but certainly not least.. look at my car for sale. No exaggeration but once u drive it. U cant fault anything wrong with it

Yup, 40k ! I would of gone the new WRX or the 86. I can't really fault the fn2r so far however the seats can be a pain in the ass to get in and out of.
    looking for aftermarket FN2R parts ! pm me !

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EG, RB3
    Fn2 seats are relatively easy to get out of compared to other cars with deeper bucket seats. I would know, I have an fn2.