Member Array
    Car:
    EK

(EK) Why isn't my steering wheel straight?

Ever since I picked up my EK, the steering wheel has been off centre by a couple of degrees, ie. to go straight, I need to hold the steering wheel 2-3° to the right, if I hold it straight, the car pulls slightly to the left. It has been more of an OCD annoyance than an actual problem, but would still like to fix it.

Is this likely to be from a bad alignment, the wheel being removed and not put back on straight or something else?

hear is a DIY

i think the wheel has been removed and not been put back on the right teeth hence not straight

Member Array
    Car:
    no weetek civic
    I got the same problem, the guy before said he changed the wheel and then changed it back to oem for me though, so I dont think its been aligned properly, although in saying that, an alignment should be able to fix it
    SSpamily

hehe

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    alignment/new tyres. do that first.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    alignment/new tyres. do that first.
    before new tyres check for even wear (camber wear etc) and alignment.

also if you take the steering wheel off, leave the nut slightly threaded on otherwise you will lose some teeth when you yank it

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    assuming the alignment is good, where the steering colum mounts into the rack there is a uni joint which when undone can be sliped up alowing the steering wheel to be turned independant of the wheels. so just line it up and tightn the 2 bolts back down
    Last edited by Daveho1; 21-05-2013 at 10:09 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    maybe tyre low air

Member Array
    Car:
    EK
    Quote Originally Posted by carayan View Post
    I got the same problem, the guy before said he changed the wheel and then changed it back to oem for me though, so I dont think its been aligned properly, although in saying that, an alignment should be able to fix it
    Will pull the wheel of on the weekend and check it all lines up.
    Quote Originally Posted by fillit View Post
    before new tyres check for even wear (camber wear etc) and alignment.

also if you take the steering wheel off, leave the nut slightly threaded on otherwise you will lose some teeth when you yank it
    No signs of uneven wear, but the tires are fairly new, so it may not have showed up yet. I think I'll book it in far an alignment regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    maybe tyre low air
    pressure is even all around.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Integra
    Bad toe alignment
    If not tyres, check for weird alignment issues like caster/camber . maybe damaged suspension components e.g control arms

Torn Bushes may put it slightly off to ( if you hear clunking or any sort of noises when going over bumps )

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k + CBX250
    If you take your hands off the wheel and the car doesnt start pulling then just adjust the wheel.

allignments are great so that the car travels straight and fights the road camber and handles well even tyre wear is a bonus

try rotating the tyres if that changes it then its because those tyres have been used on maybe another vehicle with different characteristics.