Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R

Gearbox crunches/grinds when i get into reverse

Hey guys, just got bought a honda accord euro recently and recently discovered a problem with the gearbox when i get into reverse. When i get into reverse, it has the crunching/grinding the gearbox sound until i pull it completely in, but once you do that a few times, it slowly goes away and gets into reverse normally without any of those sounds. Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be?!

Member Array
    Car:
    BA5 & CL9 lux
    It's quite normal apparently, I have that noise too, Fredoops has an article about it , just search for it

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...-to-read-this*
    WprHeader|J'intake|FLP100Cell|FGKcatback|NstPulley s|PivotRaizin|ProgressRSB|CuscoTypeI TB&StrutBrace|OkadaCoil|TeinSS|SpoonRigidCollar|Re flashedEcu|PWRtransmissionCooler|RE30|6pots+330mm rotor

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    Would that apply for manual transmission as well...since the article is saying its for automatic (hondamatic).

Member Array
    Car:
    07 Accord Euro Luxury 6MT
    It's normal for a bit of a crunch going into reverse as there's no synchromesh on that gear. Reverse will whine too, since the gears are straight teeth, not helical. How many kms on the car? When was gearbox oil last changed? Was genuine Honda MTF used?

- HZ

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2 Accord Euro
    Hey this recently started happening in my 08 CU2 and i was getting worried..! It is really bad for the car in the long run?
    '97 Teg VTi-R - GONE :'( -> '08 CU2

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    It's not a little crunch, it's like a loud grinding gear until you get into reverse fully then it will stop, the car is sitting on 19x,xxx kms, and before I bought it, they got it serviced and roadworthy, so I'm not too sure myself if its genuine Honda mtf and if the oil was changed or not.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda gearboxes don't tolerate incorrect gear oil. If you're unsure, get the gearbox oil changed for Honda MTF. Get your clutch checked out as well, it sounds like the clutch isn't fully disengaged. It might be the clutch throwout bearing too, especially if the previous owner sat at lights with the clutch pushed in and the car in gear.

- HZ

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    Oh is it bad to sit at the lights waiting with gear and clutch in?

Member Array
    Car:
    Yes. Holding the clutch in for extended periods can cause premature wear on the throw out bearing. If a driver tends to rest their foot on the clutch while driving instead of on the footrest it can cause clutch and bearing wear problems too.

When waiting at lights, shift to neutral and let out the clutch.

- HZ

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    Alright, thanks for the heads up and just to get it clear, when you say rest foot on clutch do you meant stepped down or just like foot lightly on it but not pressed down?

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CL9
    Quote Originally Posted by deuces View Post
    Alright, thanks for the heads up and just to get it clear, when you say rest foot on clutch do you meant stepped down or just like foot lightly on it but not pressed down?
    Both would be bad. And I wouldn't know why you would ride the clutch like in your second example anyways.

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    Oh okay thanks, i was just asking haha