Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    97 Prelude VTIR

[URGENT] 1999 EK Civic Service Quote Help

I bought a 1999 Honda Civic Gli at 108,xxx ams and currently sits at 141,xxx.

The car has been serviced every 5,000kms since my ownership and has not yet been through any major service...

Just took it to NRMA motor serve and got quoted:

Front and rear disk rotors are undersize - recommend front and rear brake pads and disk rotor replacement $485 and $570
    Rear trailing arm bushes split thru $440
    Rear shock absorber worn out $795
    Rear muffler leaking $340
    Rocker cover gasket and distributor o'ring leaking $285

Major service = $580 <-- PAID

Total repairs + Major = $3500.00

Any advice??
    Last edited by imaxsameer; 22-04-2013 at 04:11 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1 & GD3
    You are getting ripped off hard!

Could almost get coilovers for the same price as rear shocks; can get a second hand muffler and just chuck it on also.
    Team West Yo!!

www.circuitclub.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    97 Prelude VTIR
    For sure, can get Tokico HP Blue Shocks + Springs delivered from USA $700. And Muffler I can just get a universal muffler from JDMYard... I am not sure about others...

So what would you do in my situation? I am thinking of taking it to another mechanic and I will be getting a report on all the repairs required and maybe I can show that to another mechanic.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1 & GD3
    I would get a second opinion; not a fan of chain store mechanics as im pretty sure they will try and milk you for as much as possible... some of those things are easily fixable if you DIY... but if you have no clue or no tools I would recommend to go to Hanny's in Smithfield and let Rob go over the car. Personally I would not show him the current quote; I would just tell him that I need a major service and ask him to check the car over and advise on what else needs attention and then make a decision from there.
    Team West Yo!!

www.circuitclub.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    97 Prelude VTIR
    Okay fair enough...

Ive booked it in at an independant mechanic atm for next week for a major. So see how it goes...

Not keen on Hanny's as about a week ago when I booked in my prelude for a service the lady was not friendly on phone and sounded like she was in a rush. She somehow managed to book me in without asking me any details regarding the car nor my contact details. I wasn't very happy so I never went there. Its not a close mechanic either sp first impression made me feel its not worth the drive there.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1 & GD3
    No worries; I agree that the customer service might need improvement but the quality/efficiency in their work makes up for it.

Anyways thats my 2c
    Team West Yo!!

www.circuitclub.com.au

Member Array
    Car:
    97 Prelude VTIR
    Fair enough..

Member Array
    Car:
    EK Hatch
    Complete and utter rip off to say the least! And I'm questioning if brakes even need doing st that many kms. Definitely take it to a private mechanic and not a chain brand amd see the difference.

Member Array
    Car:
    97 Prelude VTIR
    Yeah he said the rotors are too small for the car and its illegal the way it is. And unsafe etc... They need replacing.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    Ripped off like mad. $1000 for rotors and pads, **** that. A few hundred for front/rear and pads at most (if that). I got my exhaust fixed for $60 by welding a new pipe onto it. $500 for bushes, $285 for a ****ing gasket? what? You could get an aftermarket shock and spring combo for $800.. NRMA is completely ripping you off. Take it to a private mechanic, they will even help you save money by getting you to source the parts yourself.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5 VTi
    How can the rear rotors be too small, they came in OEM size? His probably try to milk you bad. If your gona spend 1k on rotors and pads might aswell go slotted and the rocker cover gasket and rear shocks you can get it at supercheap or repco for cheaper.

Member Array
    Car:
    97 Prelude VTIR
    He's saying that the rotors are machined and they have been machined too much and are too thin so its dangerous. Needs replacing.

"Front and rear disk rotors are undersize - recommend front and rear brake pads and disk rotor replacement $485 and $570"