Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    s2000

Hello All. Just got an S2K

Hello.
    Ive just gone nd purchased a 1999 AP1 S2000 in silver.

Its got 140000km on the clock.
    What sort of problems/ faults usually come with an s2000 with high Km/s on it?
    Have seen alot of great info on this forum so if I experience an problems i know there are people here to help solve them.

Thanks Dave

Might sound stupid but...

You didn't check out the car before buying it?

Plenty of info on both here and s2ki
    Toda Racing AU | Shen * Speed Works | Jesse Streeter

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 BB AP1
    Quote Originally Posted by DreadAngel View Post
    Might sound stupid but...

You didn't check out the car before buying it?

Plenty of info on both here and s2ki
    Yeah.. i kinda feel that this sort of question you ask should be done PRIOR to making the purchase?

there are threads galore on this topic.. but here's a good start:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...uestions******

and as dreadangel already said.. s2ki has a world of knowledge.. there's enough threads full of useful info on that site to last you a life time i dare say.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    Thanks for replies.

Yeah I checked car over. All in great shape. Bar a slight oil leak from front of rocker cover. But appears to be normal, or from what ive read on s2ki many people have same problem.

Just curious as to common problems people have had here in Aus with them. Most info on the subject appears to be in the USA. And as their cars are fairly different to the Aus delivered model, thought id ask you guys too.

Am also currently building an f20c powered ke30 corolla. So I know plenty bout the drive train. Haven't owned a complete s2000 before though.
    Last edited by maccat05; 01-05-2013 at 08:19 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 BB AP1
    whoa that project sounds pretty cool.. got a build thread anywhere?

and other common problems are cv joints giving way if car is lowered... car burning oil like its water.. the FAQ threads and such will tell u a lot more

Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro
    Don't forget potential diff issues! From what I've noticed is that the standard radiators often crack when the kms get high. Mine did it 170,000kms. Other than that they should be good as long as you look after them.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    thanks for all the replies.

There is a build thread over at rollaclub.com. Also if you type ke30 build f20c into Google it will come up.

Ive come upon some problems with the f20c while disassembling it. I have removed the secondary air pump system, as without the honda catalyst, it is pointless. I will also be making a few block off plates when I have time, so people can remove the air pump from the manifold.

The real challenging part of the build is finding engine mounts. I have emailed innovative motorsports in the USA and asked them to send me a CAD of their billet engine mounts. If I mount them to the engine, and the engine + mounts fit between the chassis rails on the Rolla then I will buy them and save having to fabricate some.
    I will do a review on them for Aussie conditions when in the car too.

Ill post some pics here for those interested.

Thanks for the info on the radiator. I have a fairly early 2000 rad, but its stained so it appears ill need a new one. Ill keep you all posted

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda s2000
    nice cars!

Got my car at 100,000km 5 years ago.
    So far I've replaced the following:
    Clutch, went at 120,000
    Radiator cracked at 125,000
    Wheel bearing, though I dont think that one was related to wear, storm water damage really.
    Air pollen filter (the first thing you should replace)
    Air filter, though the cost of changing that from the dealer was $600 so got a k&n cold air intake instead.
    replaced all 4 tires twice now.
    replaced all 4 brake pads twice as well now.
    Had to replace a tail light and fix my rear bumper coz some idiot hit my car while I was stationary at the lights, admitted to my damage but not to hitting my car, how does anyone admit to the damage but not fault or hitting is beyond me. So the two cap was also replaced.
    A light on the interior needs to be replaced but has to be shipped in from japan so yet to be done.
    My 5th gear was stuck but seemed to be running perfectly fine after a couple of sessions on the track. Was actually stuck whilst I was on the track, had to force it in, and force it out but after about 6 laps of doing that it runs better then before strangely enough.
    Replaced the roof from AP1 to AP2 roof with demister, though thats yet to be connected, BTW if anyone knows of a cheap kit for that, it would be appreciated.
    I replaced the stero and speakers, speakers were on the fritz and stero couldnt play mp3 cds but otherwise ok.
    Might replace the gear knob later as that looks old.
    replaced my seats, 1 was well worn out, but decided to get race bucket seats.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    Thanks nic.
    I had a look into replacing my clutch, but the cheapest price I have managed to find so far is $1100 :-O. Seems abit steep to me. So I think ill just live with the dodgy clutch for a while.
    Thanks Laura. Ill move some pics over here when I have the chance. Ill try to get the rolla and s2k together for a shoot when the corolla is done. I know its not an s2k, but its about 50% s2k.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    Oh and as for the demister. If you are in NSW try honbits in smithfield. The other half of my half cut is back there with a good condition roof and rear glass.

I spent $2600 on my clutch. Exceedy clutch. The oem is Exceedy sports clutch, I replaced it with an uprated one, the exceedy sports tuff clutch. The shifts are a little harsher if not done right but on the track it requires a much smaller travel distance to get it in and out compared to before, about 25% less travel to do so roughly. Still the same flywheel as I do more road then track so i figure it is less harsh on the engine and gears if I am tired and dont shift well enough. Im not in NSW so guess I wont be getting it cheap.
    Im thinking of replacing the air intake filter from K&N to a 3A racing air filter. Will also be getting front and rear sway bars hopefully this year along with an exhaust system with ecu if there is money left over and next year get a supercharger system. after that is race suspension, and wheels. Though the next realistic thing would be disc rotors as they cannot be machined anymore so there is another $600 right there. I wont be replacing the brake calipers as I believe the brake pads, endless red stuff ceramic Kevlar, should be sufficient for my purposes. After supercharger want a 4 point harness. Money left over will goto front and rear carbon fiber bonnet and trunk, oem style, with a mugen style wing then have the entire car vinyl wrapped in white which is $4300 for the wrapping. all up should loose about 50kgs to take the car from 1250kg to 1200 kg and produce, hopefully, about less then 300hp at the wheels which from what I have read is safe enough to not need a change in the gearbox system. Should be about $20k spend which means I could've brought another S2K....Things we do for our adopted "kids"...